how to purchase an unlocked phone - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-11-27, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

how to purchase an unlocked phone

Last night I queried a Telus kiosk regarding their policy as if I were to purchase a unlocked CDMA smartphone, and they said they wouldn't do it ... and neither would Bell (without saying anything about Rogers, but that may have been because I was speaking CDMA).

I'm in Newfoundland -- is this the general policy across Canada??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-11-27, 08:56 AM

As I understand it CDMA phones each have a unique identifier hardcoded into the phone( rather like the MAC address of Ethernet gear). Presumably they don't have an easy method of adding any random CDMA phone into that db and of course the phones may ( I don't know) function differently and have incompatibilities with the network provider.

With GSM that identification is on the SIM and because of that one can put an already registered SIM into any GSM phone that uses the correct frequencies and the the phone will work... a given GSM NETWORK provider may not support all features in a given phone but the basic phone functions will work.

To me this and the worldwide use is the reason for going GSM although I have heard a technical argument that CDMA is "better" and I understand that the new mobile phone technologies UMTS and LTE will be closer to CDMA than to GSM
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-11-27, 02:20 PM
Digital Sage

It's much easier to just get a GSM unlocked phone.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-11-27, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlocke View Post
As I understand it CDMA phones each have a unique identifier hardcoded into the phone( rather like the MAC address of Ethernet gear). Presumably they don't have an easy method of adding any random CDMA phone into that db and of course the phones may ( I don't know) function differently and have incompatibilities with the network provider.

With GSM that identification is on the SIM and because of that one can put an already registered SIM into any GSM phone that uses the correct frequencies and the the phone will work... a given GSM NETWORK provider may not support all features in a given phone but the basic phone functions will work.

To me this and the worldwide use is the reason for going GSM although I have heard a technical argument that CDMA is "better" and I understand that the new mobile phone technologies UMTS and LTE will be closer to CDMA than to GSM
While it is possible to force an ESN into the carriers database, the phones features are not always compatible so the phone would be restricted and treated like an analog phone (not data, sms, etc)

GSM isn't a technology, it is a set of standards. 2G GSM is based on Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA technology). UMTS and LTE aren't closer to CDMA, they are CDMA with a wider channel width. GSM standards are just adopting what NA has been using for years.

To the OP, unfortunately a smartphone forced onto the network would be pretty much useless except for basic phone functions.

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-11-27, 03:31 PM

Generally agreed. CDMA providers exercise deep control over the phones they permit to be used. It's partially pragmatic (the PRL, or preferred roaming list, must be correct to make sure the phone uses the appropriate towers with the appropriate priority) and partially dogmatic (they seem to like to exercise control over the hardware you use).

GSM carriers like Rogers can't and don't exercise that level of control. Their own phones are generally locked, but you can buy an unlocked phone and use it. They don't guarantee it will work perfectly, but will still provide some help if you can't get it working fully. I have used several different unlocked phones with Rogers with good success. Using an unlocked phone is useful in other ways - for example, you can buy a prepaid SIM card when you travel to other countries, and pay much less to make and receive calls or use data than you would pay roaming with Rogers.

Unfortunately, the Rogers network is very limited in the original poster's province of Newfoundland.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-11-27, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

That's great help! Thanx to all ...

How can I find out more regarding...
Quote:
the Rogers network is very limited in the original poster's province of Newfoundland

Last edited by rarewolf; 2008-11-28 at 06:39 AM. Reason: additional query

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in