Buying My First Phone - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Buying My First Phone

Hello, I am a high school student about to buy my first cell phone. I am thinking about going with either the Samsung Instinct from Bell, or the LG Vu from Rogers. I would like a plan that is under $40 with unlimited incoming calls. Both companys have flaws with me. With Bell, I keep hearing rumors about being charged for incoming text messages. But with Rogers, I dont see any plans that contain Free Incoming calls.

Also, My father has been a long time Rogers Wireless customer, for about 8 years now I believe. Our home phone service is also Rogers. Is there any chance, that Rogers will offer me a good plan based on these circumstances?

Your help is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 06:03 PM

The incoming message charges aren't rumours. They're well documented and the charges begin later this summer.

You'll have to decide which plan fits you better. I can't possibly predict whether free incoming text messages are more valuable to you than free incoming phone calls.

Also, you may want to check the coverage out. Talk to friends on each network to see how their phones work where you will be.

It seems to me that Fido has plans that have free incoming calls, but I don't know what the rates are.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply

I was looking at a cell phone site, http://www.cellphones.ca/cell-plans/992/

it has a Rogers $30 Mega Incoming plan which works out for me

Includes free incoming and it has 100 minutes plus 50 bonus minutes, does this mean that I get 150 minutes total

Is this plan availabe in BC?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 06:53 PM

Check out Bell's student plans.

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpWl...N____EN_Aug8th

You will only get charged for incoming texts if you don't subscribe to a sms plan. If you plan to use text messaging, subscribe to a bundle that suits your needs and you will recieve unlimited incoming.

With the $25 student plan you get unlimited local talk and text to 10 numbers on any network. The $35 and $45 plans give you unlimited nationwide talk and text to the 10 numbers.

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-08-13, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Hello, I am a high school student about to buy my first cell phone. I am thinking about going with either the Samsung Instinct from Bell, or the LG Vu from Rogers. I would like a plan that is under $40 with unlimited incoming calls. Both companys have flaws with me. With Bell, I keep hearing rumors about being charged for incoming text messages. But with Rogers, I dont see any plans that contain Free Incoming calls.

Also, My father has been a long time Rogers Wireless customer, for about 8 years now I believe. Our home phone service is also Rogers. Is there any chance, that Rogers will offer me a good plan based on these circumstances?

Your help is appreciated
For a plan under $40 per month you have numerous options.

Although with Rogers I don't see any specific add-ons that are "Free Incoming Calls" there are products/features/add-on that are similar to it. And I don't really know what an agent is able to provide (you could ask and tell them you can receive that feature from competitors).

One plan that replicates it is the MY5 plans. If I'm not mistaken, as a student, this is essentially a MY10 plan for students. For $25/month (plus the SAF, 911), you have UNLIMITED local calls and text to 10 Canadian numbers (from any network). So, if you can imagine you'd make the majority of your calls to and from your home and close friends, you might like that.

ABSOLUTELY I'd use your parents track record to get a better deal (and don't forget to mention to them that you can receive better from competition - you want to make them want your business). What I am telling you is merely what is advertised - always try to get more. Try to get them to throw in something you would find valuable (communication pack for instance?).

And don't just stick to calling Rogers. If you have an idea of what the competition can offer you (as you can see from posts above), or even special promotions, you SHOULD be able to receive an even better plan with whomever you choose.

Bottom line, since you are entering the mobile market, you want to make them want your business. Come back and let us know how you did!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-08-17, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

so should i do this over the phone or go to a retailer

and how will i know i am getting the best deal
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-08-18, 04:07 AM

Quote:
so should i do this over the phone or go to a retailer
you are more likely to get better deals by calling them.

Quote:
and how will i know i am getting the best deal
you should look through the bell and rogers websites and price out the packages that you like then compare them side by side. talk to the more expensive one and see if they will offer you the better deal.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-08-23, 11:27 AM

Also, Telus just came out with a student plan that really kicks. For $35 you get unlimited nationwide talk, text and pic and video messaging with fave 10. Plus unltd. early local night and weekend min. and unltd web browsing and up to 200 local anytime minutes. If you are a student, then check it out. Great phones are offered up for this also. ( I am a rogers sub, BTW)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-08-24, 07:27 PM

That's the kind of plan that makes one want to be a student again - or make parents get their student sons/daughters to subscribe to a phone for them.

I wonder how many years they will allow someone to remain on the student plan - as I recall a colleague who was still using his student membership at our gym more than 5 years after he graduated and left university.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-08-25, 01:02 PM

I know what you mean, I just switched from my All-in-one package to Bell's Student $35. The value is so good that I switched despite having to lock in for 36 months.

I guess that I won't have much holding me back when Bell releases the Diamond, I'm already in for three years I might as well use my $250 credit.

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-08-25, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

man, rogers just wont budge

i was offered the new student my5+5 plan, with 450 minutes, unlimited incoming, unlimited evenings and weekends at 6pm. Great deal, but im in high school, and a $45 dollar a month plan (goes up to about 60$ with SAF, 911, and gst,pst) I showed them that telus offered me 250 minutes, and unlimited incoming for $25, and even though it has no my5, it was great for me, but the rogers csr just kept offering me the same student plan which i stated was to expensive for me..wow
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-08-25, 09:49 PM

I would call again and try and get a different CSR. sometimes it depends on who you talk to and how crappy there day is going
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-08-26, 01:50 PM

Yes, I agree about calling back. Different days, different personalities, some having a good day, some having a crappy day, etc... all seem to influence my success with Rogers.

Keep calling until you find someone willing to budge. Make your case and prove to them that they should value your new business and should do what it takes to ensure you become a customer and are happy too!

Good luck. Tell us how it goes.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-08-26, 02:15 PM

Is there a reason you're not considering Telus? I've found their customer service to be miles ahead of Rogers and, well, I've found street hot dog vendors service to be miles ahead of Bell. Don't underestimate the value of good customer service after you sign on the dotted line!

With regard to incoming text messages, if you send/receive a significant number of texts, then you'll likely have a bundle or plan that includes text messages. In that case, at least with Telus, the incoming text charge doesn't apply, so no worries there.

If it is the Instinct that is attracting you to Bell, Telus also offers that.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-08-30, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

i prefer rogers because i prefer gsm over cdma

ok so this is what ive been saying to rogers, but they dont budge:

Hi, i am a new wireless customer and i have recieved an offer from telus that i want to see if rogers can match. My father has been with rogers for almost a decade and we currently use rogers home phone

I then recite the telus offer htat includes unlimited incoming

sorry we dont offer unlimited incoming plans, but we have this excellent 45 dollar a month student plan......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in