Motorola Z6w: Motorola's first Wifi enable handset in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-08-12, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Motorola Z6w: Motorola's first Wifi enable handset in Canada

edited for brevity from press release

Quote:
Motorola has announced the availability of the Motorola Z6w Wi-Fi -enabled mobile phone in Canada.

The GSM and Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN)-compatible handset extends the wireless world of consumers and business people by allowing them to take calls, browse the web and enjoy multimedia across multiple service areas, automatically switching them between local networks to make the transition from home to coffee shop to business seamless.

The sleek, rich-looking Z6w slider device offers an entertaining mobile experience with media-friendly features, including compatibility with Windows Media® Player 11 on the PC, high-speed USB 2.0 for fast downloads, a 2.0 megapixel camera and video capture and up to 2GB of optional removable memory to store a large multimedia library.

Pricing and Availability

The Motorola Z6w is available exclusively at Fido for $60 with a three-year contract and UNO subscription.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-08-13, 09:14 AM
Veteran

actually you only need a minimum of $15 fido uno plan to use the uma funcitons of the handset, the $20 is canada wide.. $15 is local, just like the rogers talkspot plans..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-08-26, 11:53 PM

I bought this phone today for $60 with a plan. The store said they didnt have any cases. Well I went all around and couldnt find a case for this phone and was told there was no such thing?

This cant be possible can it? A cell phone without a case? Im going to have to return it now because theres now way I can carry this thing around and take it to work and stuff without a case.

There is a case but its one you can just put the phone in and take it off no actual case where the phone is still usable in the case.

If anybody knows anything please let me know. Ive actually checked ebay and there are cases designed for slider phones but they were for Samsung and Kycera models nothing about a case for this phone. I find it hard to believe that theres no such thing for this one.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-08-27, 05:33 PM
Veteran

if no manufacturer produces one, then obviously no distributors or retail stores will carry them. You also might want to consider a Z3 Case, since the Z3 rizr is identical to this phone. Also wanna let u know, even motorola does not produce cases, they make more like pouches for their V series and K series phones, ie: the Razr pouch, and the krazr pouch, the Q9h pouch, etc.. and these are OEM real accessories from the mfgr, not some nockoff crap.. so even if they do come out with a case, it will probaly be a pouch, not what your looking for though, just wanted to let u know wHY
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-08-29, 01:09 AM

Not sure if anybody will know the answers but I have some questions.

The phone didnt come with a USB cable. Isnt this standard? This is my first newer phone so im not sure if they come with the phone or you have to buy seperate.

Also I read something that says if you FLASH the phone you can use the wifi to get free internet. What does that mean?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-08-29, 09:48 AM
Veteran

not all phones come with a usb cable, its solely up to the manufacturer to decide weater or not its included in the distrobution of the phone when carriers buy them in bulk to re-sell them.

regardless, you can pick up an OEM cable for a meezly $10 if u really really want it. if not, you probaly alreay have a usb to mini-b cable soemwhere in your home and don't even know about it, use that one instead.

The phone has a wifi radio in it and specific software instructions programmed into the firmware that is BUILT/DESIGHNED/ and TESTED strictly for UMA (Unlicenced Mobile Access) ONLY. By Flashing the phone, you risk VOIDING your warranty, you risk affecting the functionality of the handset, and you risk bricking the phone. Even if you were to do that, you would need to use YOUR OWN WIFI INTERNET which requires you to pay an internet service provider atleast $40/mo in subscription fees, then you need to buy a wireless router and program it in such a way... why would you even consider doing this without understanding the full facts/risks?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-08-29, 01:31 PM

I wont do it. Just curious what it meant thx

Tags
fido , moto , motorola , new product

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in