Kids and cellphone warning from head of U.S. Cancer Centre - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-24, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Kids and cellphone warning from head of U.S. Cancer Centre

The head of a U.S. cancer centre is urging that children not use cellphones, except in emergencies, because of a growing body of literature pointing to possible adverse health effects, including cancer.

Quote:
"Although the evidence is still controversial, I am convinced that there are sufficient data to warrant issuing an advisory to share some precautionary advice on cellphone use," he wrote in a memo to centre staff, citing a "growing body of literature" drawing a link between cell use and possible health effects. He said the recommendations have been reviewed by experts in neuro-oncology, epidemiology, neurosurgery and the university's Center for Environmental Oncology.
This is an issue that I think deserves more attention. I have never been comfortable placing a cell phone against my head for prolonged periods of time but now with a 9 and 11 year old, I take the warnings very seriously.

Obviously the mobile phone companies and service providers say that mobile phones are perfectly safe but then the tobacco companies said the same for 30 or 40 years.

So have these new warnings changed your thoughts about whether to let you child have a cell phone?

Please note the latest warning are for kids so please keep that in mind when posting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-24, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Interesting articles for those that would like to read more.

Largest study of mobile phone safety finds no risk

The British study did note
Quote:
Children could be at risk because their brains are more vulnerable, and the advice to limit children's use of mobiles should remain.
Listening to cellphone warnings

Recent article in the Star which summarizes a number of studies and WHO study that is delayed in being released

Experts Revive Debate Over Cellphones and Cancer

Another interesting article
Quote:
Some doctors say the real concern is not older cellphone users, who began using phones as adults, but children who are beginning to use phones today and face a lifetime of exposure.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-24, 09:07 AM

I have to agree with the warning but for another beneficial reason.

I wonder how many visits to the ER are logged in Canada each year for children who are not paying attention to their surroundings while chatting or texting on a cell phone? We already know adults + cars + phones don't mix.

When the day comes that I'll have to get a cell phone for our kids I plan to get one that is prepaid and only has our numbers preprogrammed.

So if the bus doesn't kill you the long term exposure will!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-24, 09:14 AM

a) Why does a 9 to 11 year old need a cell phone?

b) Where is this growing body of evidence? Seems to me like it is erring on the side of caution with no evidence available, which is an entirely different issue. If something was bad, it would be worse for children of course. But unlike smoking, cell phones don't fill your brain with tar and toxic chemicals that lead to cancer 40 years later.

You are receiving far more non-ionizing radiation from your microwave. That's a 1kW+ transmitter right in your home, and there's not even any shielding execpt on the front! A digital cell phone is typical 1-2 watts or less. Older analog phones are 3-4 watts. The effect this has on your brain bucket is far less than being out in the sunlight.

Finally, no one can say for sure because no one has looked at heavy cell phone use for more than about 10 years. But I'll go back to my point (a) above. Why would a 9 to 11 year old be using a cell phone for hours a day? (because even if there is some effect, you're not going to get it from using a phone once a week for 5 minutes when the kid is at a friends house).
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-24, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
Why does a 9 to 11 year old need a cell phone?
Why don't you ask them? Why does every adult seem to feel they need one? The point here is not to discuss whether they should have a mobile phone but the potential health effects of having one, so please lets stay on topic.

My kids don't have them because they don't need them but I suppose in another few years when they reach high school that might change.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-24, 09:24 AM

Quote:
You are receiving far more non-ionizing radiation from your microwave. That's a 1kW+ transmitter right in your home, and there's not even any shielding execpt on the front!
This is off-topic but let me clarify for you. Metal reflects microwave radiation. The oven cavity is metal. The door is transparent (so you can see inside) with a metal grill. The grill is small enough to block the 2.45GHz radiation.

If the oven was made of plastic (like a cell phone) then we would have a problem.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-24, 11:32 AM

There is a lot of leakage from microwaves nonetheless. I have seen time scans in residental neighbourhoods of the 2.4-2.5 GHz band and you can clearly see when someone turns on a microwave. Usually because it saturates its range. Cordless phones are usually the next biggest. Especially when they are searching for an available channel when its being saturated by a microwave, haha, or other cordless phones. Microwaves are generally measured from the door and they never do check for leakage on the sides or above and below. Metal is reflective and it is probably providing 20dB, and at the very most, 40dB of reduction (and the cheaper the microwave, the thinner it is). That would mean 0.1W to 10W of leakage power. No wonder you can detect them miles away.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-24, 11:34 AM

This thread is about the safety of mobile phone use among children.

It is NOT about microwave ovens and their abilty to shield radiation. Next off-topic post will be deleted.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-07-24, 03:50 PM

There is no proven link between non-ionizing electromagnetic waves and cancer. That includes children. I deal EM radiation safety in my line of work and am very interested whenever the subject comes out. The subject warning does not have a scientific basis. It is cautionary only in the sense that "what you don't know might hurt you". That is the bottom line. Anything else is fearmongering or attention-getting or possibly a random attempt to predict the future "I told you so years ago even though I had no proof".

Tags
mobile phone , report , safety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in