Is free Over-the-Air mobile TV the next killer app for Smartphones? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-07-16, 11:25 AM

I'm a pay-as-you-guy guy when it comes to phones, because, well I'm cheap.
But I would certainly consider a costlier smartphone if it had OTA capabilities.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-07-16, 11:37 AM

This would be very cool indeed, but you know if the technology ever came to Canada, the Unholy Trinity would find a way to charge us for it!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-07-16, 12:35 PM

I would love this.. But I really don't see Bell or Rogers jumping on this anytime soon if people are paying for their TV services. If they can't make money on it I don't see them offering this. (I can see them disabling it on phones and then charging $20/month to unlock it...)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-07-16, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

My hope is that maybe a new competitor to the marketplace (think spectrum auction) might offer it as a compelling reason to switch?

Also note that the chip can be place in a portable device so how about a Archos, Apple or Creative portable with OTA capabilities?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-07-16, 01:13 PM

I agree Hugh, I'm hoping for more competition... That would be cool to have it in other devices.. Maybe people who don't want a mobile phone contract to pay might like a portable device like ipod touch with that chip in it.. Now that would be cool.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-07-16, 01:47 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Here's a DHC thread from the OTA Forum about A-VSB and MPH, two rival Mobile digital OTA standards that are now marketplace contenders:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63639

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-07-16, 02:57 PM

I'd love such capability. And I'd even spend another $300-400 to buy such thing unlocked - screw Rogers.
This could well be the vehicle for a good DTV boom, as opposed to the discussions we had in another forum about OTA death.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-07-16, 09:49 PM

I would spend the extra money buying a phone with this feature, as long as there aren't any extra monthly fees. My uncle had the Rogers mobiletv a couple years ago but it was utter crap, picture was horrible and sound would cut in and out.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-07-16, 10:20 PM

Rabbit Ears

I wonder if that means that we are going to see rabbit ears on the next gen of cell phones. Or a home made SBGH

KC
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-07-18, 08:45 AM

Several off-topic posts deleted.

There seems to be some confusion among several members who believe this thread is about MobiTV or methods for watching Television transmitted via cell networks.

This thread is about "Free OTA signals" on wireless phones. These phones do NOT require the wireless providers network to receive signals hence why off-topic posts were removed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in