Apps you are downloading from the Apple App store? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Apps you are downloading from the Apple App store?

Well the Apple App store opened yesterday. I have downloaded an application called Baseball which has tons of player and team stats from MLB for the last hundred years or so. (it's free!)

StarMap looks interesting ($11.99) and there are lots more to be had.

I haven't tried them out yet since the 2.0 software is not yet available but I'm waiting!

Post which ones you've downloaded or are using!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Just bought MLB at bat for $4.99 but can't use it yet since I don't that the iphone 2.0 software yet!

post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 11:04 AM

I've grabbed the Remote and Facebook apps.. they're free, so I figured I'd try em out. I may grab Super Monkey Ball after the 2.0 issues get rolled out.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 11:57 AM

I just have the iPod touch, won't be getting an iPhone. I've read the 2.0 update will cost $9.95 and includes all the updates we paid $20 for back in January. I would hope Apple would give the upgrade free to those who paid for the January update, considering it's free on all new iPod touch units.

I have d/l "Remote", that looks really cool, and it'll be nice to have a couple of games to have on hand. Not sure which just yet.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 12:32 PM

Will the remote app control Front Row on a Macbook Pro? I usually hook up my MBP to my LCD upstairs to watch movies through front row and would love to ditch the little white remote that magically gets lost in the covers with my wife and I.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 12:49 PM
Veteran

I had some time yesterday to go through the Apps store and made a list of about 25 that looked cool. Unfortunately, the 'Notes' application on the touch that I had listed them doesn't transfer back to my Mac, so I can't just cut and paste it here. There are some really cool apps there. A few highlights:

Box Office (hope it works in Canada)
iBeer looks like a full beer and responds to the accelerometer to look like it can be poured out
Attaining Zen a little Zen garden that you can 'rake' in with your finger
Several good Tip calculators
Local Picks restaurants, events etc. Even without the iphone's GPS, I think it should work using the Touch's triangulation location method
Moto Racer
And I think that Super Monkey Ball will come this the $9.95 upgrade (Grrr...I'm one of the one's who paid 20 bucks back in January)

ps: There is a transit application for the New York Subway that looks so awesome it might be worth having just cause it's so cool
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

see this thread to discuss the necessary firmware update.

This thread is strictly for APP discussion please!

post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faston View Post
I had some time yesterday to go through the Apps store and made a list of about 25 that looked cool. Unfortunately, the 'Notes' application on the touch that I had listed them doesn't transfer back to my Mac, so I can't just cut and paste it here.
In installer (jailbreak required) there is an app called Remote Notes, that when you run it, allows you to wi-fi into the iphone/pod via a web browser and edit/copy the notes. Might not be allowed as I think it required a backgroud service, which Apple has not allowed but check the app store for it!

Nice quick reviews on apps so you dont have to blind buy.
http://gizmodo.com/5023924/iphone-ap...athon-liveblog
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-12, 10:04 AM

I will be getting OmniFocus (I have a Touch from work and am still on the fence about getting an iPhone). I already use it on my Mac and having it on my Touch/iPhone is another set to have it as a full featured PDA for me.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned AIM.

Really at this point I'm mostly looking at free apps. The app store is still filling up and I don't want to buy something and have a better app appear a few days later.

Chris
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-12, 12:12 PM

I was hoping there would be a msn messenger app, I use to use msn messenger on my htc to keep in touch with work but it does not look like there are any msn apps for it. Does anyone know if there allready is such a app prior to 2.0 for msn messenger users? (preferrably one that is safe!)

and on a side note does anyone know if the free yellowpages app works in Canada?

Last edited by James; 2008-07-12 at 12:29 PM.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-12, 05:52 PM

I tried Faston's recomendation of Box Office on my ipod touch. It's great!! (note: in box office you you are going to locate a theatre make sure to type your postal code with no spaces. I really like the facebook application aswell as Twitterific. The only one I really wish the Canadian app store would get soon is, Ebay Mobile for Canada/ hopefully we get it soon.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-12, 08:48 PM

Am I dumb? How do you put the letters in for the zipcode in BoxOffice mine only allows numbers like a telephone
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-12, 09:36 PM

Box Office didn't work for me either; I get just a numeric pad when entering the zip code, with no way to enter letters. The GPS lookup only grabbed the first three alphanumerics of my postal code, and even those were wrong. Too bad as I was really interested in that one.

I grabbed one of the list making apps which isn't too bad. I really wanted one of the shopping list apps but wasn't willing to part with any cash yet. There's a few games that look interesting as well.

Sony KDL-52EX700, Toshiba HD-D3, Motorola DCT-6416, Popcorn Hour A-110, XBOX 360 w/HD-DVD
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-13, 12:53 PM

So far, I've grabbed:

Facebook
...which is quite limited. I end up going to the site more often. You cannot write on people's walls, and you only receive notifications of messages in your inbox, nothing else. Hopefully they'll update it eventually.

NY Times
Decent layout, but I find it slow to update.

PayPal
Works as advertised. Probably won't use it much though.

Remote
Not very useful for me right now, but it is a great idea.

Shazam
Haven't tried it yet. Apparently it can figure out what song is playing through the mic.

Things
The only app I have paid for so far, and I love it. I am a todo list fanatic, and this is the perfect app. Lots of options to add details, due dates, etc. It gives you an overview of what you are doing today, lists upcomings, and there is a section for things you plan to do eventually. Very nice app. Only thing is it showed up as $11.29 on my iTunes bill and not $9.99 as it was listed in the store...

Panasonic 42PZ85 + Eastlink - iPhone 4 32gb - MacBook Pro 15.4 Hi-Res 2.2 i7 8gb 500gb + iMac 27 3.4 i7 12gb 1tb
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-13, 01:55 PM

I have a few... but so far with the free ones, im a little dissapointed.

Facebook: you have much more with the iphone website.

Aol: and what about msn, yahoo, etc... so much other are more used.

Boxoffice: not working in canada

I just hope Canada developers will go and do more on the iPhone...

I hope to see a NHL app this fall...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in