Apps you are downloading from the Apple App store? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-13, 02:03 PM

Downloaded most of the same apps as everyone else. The only different one I downloaded was the Nullriver Tuner App for internet radio for $4.99. It works pretty well, quick streaming on both wi-fi and 3g with decent sound quality (depending on the station). Has all the usual internet radion stations that you would find on Shoutcast. Once in a while it gives an out of memory error when starting a station, which is rectified by pressing play or restarting the iphone (last resort). The PSP had the same feature added with a fw update but it is knowhere near as quick loading and responsive as the iphone app.

Hey you, yah you.
Come here! Go away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-13, 08:12 PM

Can't download Facebook!

I tried to download Facebook but it's telling me I can only download from the Canadian Itunes store. How are you guys getting it, and what did I do wrong?

Last edited by admin; 2008-07-14 at 08:12 AM. Reason: As per the rules of the forum, please refrain from using non standard fonts, all bolding and other distracting fonts
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-14, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Downloaded and tried out the Remote Application. Pretty cool for music playback but the remote is lacking lots of features. When playing a video on iTunes, there was no FF, Rew etc.

MLB at Bat as well worth $4.99, love getting the scores and highlights. The Baseball stat program is neat for looking up players stats

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-14, 09:05 AM

Probably the simplest app. available, but it sure saved me the other day...Light.

Just a white screen, simple as that, but it sure is bright!

Sharp LC-52D64U, Yamaha HTR-6160, XBOX 360 w/ HD DVD, PS3, Wii
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-14, 10:44 AM

I grabbed Scrabble, and am really impressed. Ability to play on your own, against the computer, or pass and play with a friend.
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-14, 01:18 PM

Anyone grabbed a version of Sudoku yet? I'm leaning toward the Electronic Arts version just because they made the version I have on my iPod Video (and it worked very well). Thought I'd check if anyone had tried a different version.

Also, I grabbed the NetNewsWire RSS reader; mostly because it's free. Works OK, but you have to use the NewsGator website (which requires a free account) to add/edit/remove the RSS feeds. There's no ability to add a new feed inside the app itself. On the otherhand, since it's syncing feeds with NewsGator, you have a single point to view your RSS feeds (using the NewGator site itself when at work, for example)

Sony KDL-52EX700, Toshiba HD-D3, Motorola DCT-6416, Popcorn Hour A-110, XBOX 360 w/HD-DVD
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-14, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

I saw a number of different versions of Soduku, one that looked good was $2.99 but I haven't tried it.

I got the NY Times free app but find it takes forever to load.

post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-14, 04:13 PM

We tested out the Speechcloud Voice Dialer, it is an ok dialer just using voice command but it is not yet totally hands free. You still have to press the Speak ico/button before it initiate it

Waiting for another voice dialing app
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-14, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I got the NY Times free app but find it takes forever to load.
I am considering uninstalling it because I have to yet to be able to really use the app. It is so slow! Often the front page will load okay, but I've never been able to get it to download the stories in the Arts section.

I think I will be uninstalling the Facebook app as well. I just made a webclip/shortcut on my homescreen of the mobile version of the site and it is much better than the app. Then again, perhaps they will update it soon since a lot of people seem to be complaining about the lack of functionality?

I also picked up Guitar Toolkit For $10. It has a tuner, metronome, and chord dictionary. It works quite well and is definitely worth the little bit of cash.

I, too, was wondering about Sudoku. The EA version is $9.99 and the other one is $2.99. Both look good. Is the EA one worth the extra $7+HST?

Panasonic 42PZ85 + Eastlink - iPhone 4 32gb - MacBook Pro 15.4 Hi-Res 2.2 i7 8gb 500gb + iMac 27 3.4 i7 12gb 1tb
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 02:26 AM

Quote:
I, too, was wondering about Sudoku. The EA version is $9.99 and the other one is $2.99. Both look good. Is the EA one worth the extra $7+HST?
I'm not sure. Why don't you pick it up and let us know

The version I bought for my iPod Video (by EA) was awesome. Interface was designed perfectly for the click wheel, and it looked great too. It was only $4.99 too (I think). $10 seems a bit steep.

A search for "Sudoku" in the App Store turns up no less than 15 versions. I guess one shouldn't judge gameplay by a screenshot, but man some of them look bad. It would be nice to test drive these. I guess I'm used to the Xbox Live Arcade, where you can download anything and if you like it, unlock the full version later.

Sony KDL-52EX700, Toshiba HD-D3, Motorola DCT-6416, Popcorn Hour A-110, XBOX 360 w/HD-DVD
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 02:31 AM

As far as other apps, I tried out "Local Picks by TripAdvisor"; wasn't that impressed by the results it returned. And painfully slow (even just scrolling the screen was slow). I think I'll uninstall.

Carling's "iPint" (a virual beer) and "PhoneSaber" (a cheesy lightsaber that uses the accelerometer to produce sounds!) are both keepers though.

"Epocrates Rx" is a cool (and free) drug database. Requires a free subscription on their site, but offers up everything you could want to know about any medication or drug -- including dosing, reactions, interactions, and even pictures.

post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 11:01 AM

I'm really bitter that we can't download 'AOL Radio' or 'Pandora' from the Canadian store.. I'll have to grab these apps when I'm down in Vegas in August.
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc3lot View Post
I'm really bitter that we can't download 'AOL Radio' or 'Pandora' from the Canadian store.
last.fm is available.
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 03:20 PM
Veteran

Yes, Box Office is disappointing that it is US-only. Still a bit useful though as you can put in an American location and it gives you very quick access to Rotten Tomatoes ratings on current movies (as obviously they are the same movies playing here). RT is very slow to load on Safari on my iPod Touch.

iMaze and Spinner are fun little games that use the accelerometer to move things on-screen.

As other's have said NYTimes is so slow as to be useless. Mobile News is better, but has the ubiquitous US-centric localization.

I am using ShoppingList for, well, a shopping list. Easy to check off the items.

Tipulator seems to be the best of the tip calculators.

UrbanSpoon is pretty good for finding your location and giving you decent restaurants in the area. And has a kind-of cool function where you shake the device and it rolls restaurants slot machine-style to randomly pick a restaurant.

Syncing the touch now takes much much longer. It always does a backup first now.

Have had more crashes/reboots in the last 5 days since the upgrade than in all the time since I bought it (September).

You can't uninstall from the phone/touch. If you do, it just puts them right back on when you sync.
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 2008-07-15, 03:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I'm really bitter that we can't download 'AOL Radio' or 'Pandora' from the Canadian store.. I'll have to grab these apps when I'm down in Vegas in August.
Can you just set up a US iTunes store account and download apps through that? Kinda like the videos?

Even in you're in the US, I think your computer will still connect to ITMS-Canada, and you'll be in the same situation (I could be mistaken, though).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in