Q. on "used" iPhone (non 3G) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-07-04, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Q. on "used" iPhone (non 3G)

The 3-year contract that Mr. Rogers wants me to sign on to for the 3G iPhone forced my hand, and so I picked up a used 1.1.3 iPhone.

So here's where I need some help:
1. I'm not currently a Rogers client, so I know I'm going to have to get a Rogers SIM. Can I just buy a SIM and then call up Rogers to say, "Sign me up with my "friend's old phone" and this new SIM to a month-to-month voice plan?
(I only want the voice - no need for EDGE data right now).

2. Do I have to do anything with the IMEI #? I noticed in ZiPhone that there's a "CHANGE IMEI" button. Why would I need/want to use that?

3. The guy I bought the phone from left a bunch of "customization" on the phone (including his email settings - some people just don't realize what they're giving away with stuff like this sometimes...yikes!). When I do a RESTORE, will I have to jailbreak/activate/unlock again?

3a. Can I do all the ZiPhone thing without a SIM card?

And slightly related to all of that, how do I find out what bootloader I have on the phone? Or does ZiPhone pretty much render that moot, and it'll just figure out what needs to be done based on what it finds?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-07-04, 09:26 AM

I don't know much about the iPhone, but I can tell you that there is no point in changing the IMEI. Rogers doesn't care if you use an unlocked phone on their network, as long as you don't expect them to provide you with support if it doesn't work properly.

All you need is a SIM card and an account. You can get one at any Rogers dealer.

You shouldn't have to sign up for a contract, unless you're getting some of their higher-end data plans. If you do that, you might want them to sell you a subsidized phone so that you get full benefit from the contract. You can use it as a spare phone (you can simply move your SIM around at will), or you can sell it brand new, in the box, locked to Rogers, or you can get it unlocked and sell it for a bit more money (incurring a bit more hassle to get it unlocked first, since Rogers won't unlock it for you).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-07-04, 11:30 AM

1) As PhotoJim mentioned, just get a sim from a Rogers dealer ... you might be able to get it off ebay if you want to save a few bucks. If you already have a phone with rogers, you can use the sim from the phone you already have.

2) Don't change the IMEI !

3) Do a full restore to 1.1.4 and then use iLiberty to unlock your phone (ziphone has a few bugs)

3a) No sim card needed during the procedure

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-07-06, 07:23 PM

Better plans are usually only offered on a contract. shop around I guess. you should be able to take over someones account but the phone number is usually tied to the account.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in