Samsung Instinct coming August 8th to Canada - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 2008-07-06, 10:23 AM

Quote:
With an unlimited data plan, I can still access the web via the 3G network as much as I please, correct?
Yes, but if you are near a good wifi signal, it will most likely be much faster than Bell or Telus' speeds on EVDO. No wifi is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

Are these $7 and $10 "unlimited browsing" prices really what we think they are? I know on my Telus KRZR I get unlimited browsing, but it is not the real internet. It is through the Telus SPARK portal and it is only mobile versions of sites. If I go to a real website, I get charged. Do the browsers in the Instinct and the HTC Touch Diamond display "real" websites, and if so, do these unlimited plans include all websites and data?

Quote:
appears to have a better GPS location app
That comparison video uses the 1st gen iPhone, correct? Which does not have GPS capabilities and only relies on cell and wifi triangulation. I am pretty sure the 3G iPhone will perform as good as the Instinct in that department.

Panasonic 42PZ85 + Eastlink - iPhone 4 32gb - MacBook Pro 15.4 Hi-Res 2.2 i7 8gb 500gb + iMac 27 3.4 i7 12gb 1tb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 2008-07-06, 10:28 AM
Veteran

Will I be able to get the unlimited browsing even with the cheapest voice plan? I have crazy good plan with Rogers but refuse to pay $40 a month for their very limited cap on the iPhone.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 2008-07-06, 05:26 PM

unlimited browsing is available as a feature add on to any voice plan.

Also it is real browsing on real websites, although with my Touch it will use the mobile version if available. There is no extra cost to view "real" webpages.

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200

post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 2008-07-07, 07:03 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, but if you are near a good wifi signal, it will most likely be much faster than Bell or Telus' speeds on EVDO. No wifi is a bit of a deal breaker for me.
I am sorry but that makes no sense at all. Your real limitation will be the speed of the internet connection AND the congestion on the wifi access point that you would try to use. With all that taken into consideration, it would be near impossible to expect that your wifi (Unless you are at home and have a 10 mbps ISP service) experience will litterally be no faster than EV-DO.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 2008-07-07, 09:22 AM

Re: the Samsung Instinct...

Anyone know what the OS is? Doesn't look like WM.

MT
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 2008-07-07, 09:29 AM

It is a Samsung propriatary (sp??) OS. It is just a "smartphone looking" normal phone.

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 2008-07-07, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Instinct Review

Not a very positive review. Complaints include a lousy browser and no desktop sync

post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 2008-07-07, 09:46 AM

I loved the scratched screen complaint. I learned a long time ago to never use a touch screen device without a screen protector.

I think that this review illustrates the problem with this phone. It is being presented as a smartphone, which raises too many expectations. It should be advertised as simply a phone which is smart.

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 2008-07-07, 09:51 AM

No Desktop sync? What were they thinking.
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 2008-07-07, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I am sorry but that makes no sense at all. Your real limitation will be the speed of the internet connection AND the congestion on the wifi access point that you would try to use. With all that taken into consideration, it would be near impossible to expect that your wifi (Unless you are at home and have a 10 mbps ISP service) experience will litterally be no faster than EV-DO.
Sorry to be so nonsensical... The places I would most use the iPhone are at home, at work, at friend's places, and at certain coffee shops and restaurants where I get free access through Aliant. All of which have wifi at high speeds with minimal congestion.

EVDO, on the other hand, depends on the quality of mycell signal, and at any given time that can be 1 bar to full bars in the above mentioned areas, or sometimes zero in basements.

That is why no wifi is deal-breaker for me. Hope that makes sense...

Panasonic 42PZ85 + Eastlink - iPhone 4 32gb - MacBook Pro 15.4 Hi-Res 2.2 i7 8gb 500gb + iMac 27 3.4 i7 12gb 1tb
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 2008-07-07, 10:40 AM
Veteran

Yes that makes a whole lot more sense. If you are using low/no congestion wifi with a very fast INTERNET service attached to it, then I can see that it would be a deal breaker.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 2008-07-07, 03:36 PM

Quote:
No Desktop sync? What were they thinking.
Definitely ridiculous.

post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 2008-07-07, 07:00 PM

Not a lot of cell phones have desktop sync without having to install extra software (ie Motorola Phone Tools). As stated before this is NOT a smartphone.

post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 2008-08-07, 02:49 PM

no spare battery

i managed to get a peak into the box for the phone being released tomorrow
and am disappointed in the fact that in the u.s. version, they include an
extra battery and a separate charger for it, yet not bundled in the phone they are selling in Canada.
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 2008-08-07, 02:59 PM

i'm curious.. if theres no desktop sync software, how do they go about letting people do software updates to the phone? i guess recently samsung released an update for the instinct. i guess it could be possible to update the phone without having an actual contact/calender/email/whatever sync software available.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in