Don't Sign a Mobile Contract This Month - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Don't Sign a Mobile Contract This Month

Amidst all the chatter about iPhones imminent arrival in Canada, one thing seems clear to me. The mobile market in Canada is in for a bit shake-up in July and, despite the complaints there is insufficient competition here, i expect s few pleasant surprises.

Rogers is in an enviable position having Blackberries and the iPhone and a host of other hot phones, but Telus and Bell have deep pockets and the motivation to compete aggressively. Already, Bell has dropped the price of the Pearl 8130 to $0 on a 3-year contract with a $35 voice and data plan. The Bell flyer with to-days newspaper doesn't have details on the voice/data plans, but they are letting us know the hardware will be free. This sounds a lot like last December, when I got my Pearl 8130 free with a $45 voice/data plan ($30 voice + $15 unlimited data including GPS) while Rogers was flogging Pearl 8100s for $99 and very expensive data. Bell is advertising GPS as a $10 add-on today.

Elsewhere on the web, I am reading that Telus has dropped its unlimited data rate back to last year's $15 price from $30. I haven't seen this advertised yet, but I haven't been looking either.

More enticing chatter suggests North American calling plans are coming at reasonable prices, i.e. no long distance and no roaming while in Canada or the USA for $25 a month for all your subscribed minutes. Not a bad add-on. This may be an attempt to counter the iPhone or it may be that the providers have an idea what their competition is up to.

I am not sure when the wireless spectrum auction ends, but by July 11 it should be pretty much decided. I would not be at all surprised if Rogers/Bell/Telus allowed the new entrants to run-up huge bids (as they have done) driving up their long-term operating costs, and then lower the competitive boom; now or within a year or so as the new operators launch.

I have no insider information and no crystal ball, but the indications are clear that significant changes are coming. Anyone who doesn't have an urgent need for a new handset or a new mobile plan would be well advised to wait a month. And then back-to-school offers to stop a rush to campus with new iPhones in hand? This could be an exciting summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 10:20 AM

I was in the market for a cell phone, I decided to go with a cheap pre-paid phone to give myself basic access. I would recommend the same for anyone who is holding off for improved data over the cell networks. I don't want a half baked solution, but with pre-paid, I'll be able to decide exactly when I'm ready to jump onboard.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 10:27 AM

Excellent points, guys. (OK, that was an assumption...I hope I didn't offend anyone.) :-)

I may wait as well.

MT

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 06:26 PM

I just wouldn't sign a contract period. Too many things change too fast to even be locked in for a year let alone three.

I think that there will be a mad frenzy in the next couple months, but unless something major happens (the spectrum auction doesn't seem to be doing much) it will be back to business as usual by the "back to school" rush.

Can't wait for the HTC Victor to come out!!

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 08:27 PM

Telus will have to come up with something decent in and around iPhone time because my contract is up at the end of this month and I'm only going to resign with Telus if they're offering a decent phone at a great price with a great plan (or my same plan grandfathered in).

If not, the iPhone is definitely an option (depending on rate plans)... and maybe Bell will do something competitive... haha.. right...

Panasonic 42PZ85 + Eastlink - iPhone 4 32gb - MacBook Pro 15.4 Hi-Res 2.2 i7 8gb 500gb + iMac 27 3.4 i7 12gb 1tb
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 10:14 PM
Veteran

Might be off topic but:

If im 6 months into a 3 year contract with my HTC touch and TELUS(we should never be held to such long contracts) The phone was 99$. If in the next few months the HTC TOUCH DIAMOND and IPHONE come to TELUS, what are my options if i wanted one of the new phones? Is it a situation where i would ahve no choise but to pay the full retail price? Or is the 200$ iphone price the price without or without new contracts?

Thanks

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-14, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcomputer View Post
and maybe Bell will do something competitive... haha.. right...
Like unlimited non-tethered data on all smartphones and bb for $30 or $7 for regular phones? Sounds to me like rogers has to do something competitive. Regardless of whether the iPhone is the re-invention of the mobile phone or not, if rogers doesn't revolutionize the data offerings, it won't be worth the rediculous cost of using.

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-14, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
Might be off topic but:

If im 6 months into a 3 year contract with my HTC touch and TELUS(we should never be held to such long contracts) The phone was 99$. If in the next few months the HTC TOUCH DIAMOND and IPHONE come to TELUS, what are my options if i wanted one of the new phones? Is it a situation where i would ahve no choise but to pay the full retail price? Or is the 200$ iphone price the price without or without new contracts?

Thanks
The notion that we are "held to long term contracts" is false. We voluntarily sign these contracts because we want something (a hot new handset, usually) for free or a deep discount. No one was ever forced to sign a contract and there are lots of contract-free options available from all major mobile system operators as well as a bunch of supermarket and convenience stores. But most of these no-contract options come with low-end handsets because few consumers are willing to pay $400-$500 for a smart phone or similar product. Sign a contract, ensure the provider 3 years of revenue and no further customer-acquisition/retention costs, and that hardware can be subsidized.

It's a matter of economics – not coercion.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-14, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outinthornhill View Post
The notion that we are "held to long term contracts" is false. We voluntarily sign these contracts because we want something (a hot new handset, usually) for free or a deep discount.
Right on! There are a lot of valid reasons to complain about wireless companies in Canada. This ain't one of them. You can't have your cake (a low up-front phone cost) and eat it too (fail to pay for the phone by committing to a contract term).

Mark
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-14, 09:42 AM
Veteran

sorry, yur both 100% corect i signed the contract. my bad. i should know better considering i defend my companies rental hotwater contracts.. ok i took my beating lets move on.

now how about my questions? we adressed my comments in brackets well enough.. how about the rest of the post? what will if any be my options?. 200$iphone and continue my contract,or sign a new conract?

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-14, 10:09 AM

you may be able to negotiate a discount to the price of a new phone if you agree to a new 3 yr contract with a new (possibly increased) rate plan.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-14, 10:28 AM

TKG26 its not clear if Rogers will only sell the iPhone on a 3 year deal. Deepest discount is on the 3 year term always of course but with only one GSM provider, I signed up with them years ago and am fine with a contract. I expect Rogers to only sell them on 3 year terms though, but maybe we will see some flexibility as some European carriers will be offering pay as you go plans.

It seems AT&T is only offering the next iPhone with a 2 year term, which is not what they did for the first version of it which was sold at full retail or there about.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-14, 10:39 AM

The rumored $25 feature that converts your minutes to North America and includes roaming is very interesting. I already pay for the call Canada 30, so if the rumour is true I will be changing out this feature
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-14, 12:23 PM

outinthornhill said:

Quote:
The notion that we are "held to long term contracts" is false. We voluntarily sign these contracts because we want something (a hot new handset, usually) for free or a deep discount... ...It's a matter of economics – not coercion.
Well said, oith. I'm just glad I'm nearing the end (Sept 10th) of my 3 years with Rogers.

I'm just wondering if Rogers is going to offer a contract-free option.
Say, $500 for the 8gig and you can set your contract terms from there.

THAT might lure me in as long as data/voice rates are reasonable. That is to say on par with US rates or at least close enough to make me happy.

I have NO interest in being an enslaved revenue source for ANY carrier.

MT
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-14, 01:59 PM
Premium Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26
sorry, yur both 100% corect i signed the contract. my bad. i should know better considering i defend my companies rental hotwater contracts.. ok i took my beating lets move on.
My sincere compliments on your graceful acceptance of valid criticism. Well done!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in