Don't Sign a Mobile Contract This Month - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-14, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
now how about my questions? we adressed my comments in brackets well enough.. how about the rest of the post? what will if any be my options?. 200$iphone and continue my contract,or sign a new conract?
No one here can really answer your questions unless (s)he has insider knowledge of the the wireless providers business plans for the next several years. It's most unlikely that Telus will be offering an iPhone anytime soon. The only iPhone available now runs exclusively on the GSM system used by Rogers/Fido. Rumours persist that Telus will roll out GSM service, based on comments from Telus executives but no timetable has ever been stated. I have seen no speculation that Apple is working on an iPhone that will run on the Bell or Telus system.

As for picking up new hardware for Telus before your 3-year contract expires, many variables are at play. Telus doesn't have to give you any discount on a new phone. If you lose your phone or it is damaged beyond warranty coverage, you are on your own to buy a new handset at full price or look for a pre-owned unit on re-sale. You will owe your monthly service costs whether you have a phone or not. Telus offers no flexibility if you want to cancel your service; you owe them the balance of the 36 month subscription with no discount.

That said, Telus has a very good reputation for helping its clients out of trouble when they lose or damage a phone. How much help you may be offered depends on how long you have been a client, how many favours you have asked for in the past, how many months remain in your contract, etc. Telus wants to keep you as a customer and to avoid the costs of finding a client to replace you. Generally, if you are in the last few months of your contract (less than 6) you will get the "new three year contract" offers. A couple of years into a three year contract may earn you a couple hundred dollars towards a new handset. If you "threaten" to leave and go to Rogers or Bell, your monthly service may be sweetened (some free features) but you will not likely get a better deal on the phone since someone has to pay the manufacturer and the client acquisition/retention subsidies only go so far.

In short, unless you want to lay out some significant cash, you better try to be satisfied with your HTC for another 24 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-15, 03:20 PM
Veteran

oh im satisified.... no issues there. I was just wondering if the iphone was to come. what my options where...

I actually think i am more intrested in the HTC touch diamond to be honest. That one should come to telus. At that time ill call them up and see what options i have..

For the record Telus has be excpetionally good to deal with, billing is great, switching from one contract to the new one i was able to keep some old features. we have a pretty sweet plan right now...

If the diamond is sweet enough i would spring top dollar for it if i had too

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-15, 03:52 PM

The CDMA equivalent of the Diamond is the Victor

From every review I've read, both the Touch Diamond and Touch Victor's displays are vastly superior to the iPhone. I hope I can find out for myself... soon!

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-15, 05:21 PM

Well there are no reviews yet as the Diamond is not out, but specs seem to incidate the screen will be quite nice, with a very high resolution. IMO its over kill though as it will kill the battery much quicker. Sort of like having a 1080p 20" screen, what is the point other than when hooked up to a desktop computer.

Some previews and comparisons to the iPhone
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...nd&btnG=Search
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-15, 06:01 PM

So, any idea when the Diamond/Victor hit our shores and which carriers are likely to carry them?

Just wondering as I'm so short on my 3 year Rogers contract I can taste it and I am NOT locking in for 3 more. 2 max, 1 year if I can afford it. No contract if the phone price is right.

But I digress.

Again, Diamond/Victor when and where?

Thanks a bunch.

MT
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-15, 06:13 PM

A review of the Diamond is available here:

http://www.toysgadget.com/gadgets-and-toys/htc

Rarely, would you have to wait for release to get a review

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-16, 02:51 PM

Location: Halifax (Motorola HD DVR DCX3400-M/DCX700M 50" Plasma)
I'm not sure if this has been said in here but when you sign a contract with rogers for a 2, 3 or whatever year term then that is the only thing your committed too is the lengh, you can switch plans at anytimes during your term. the contract you sign is for the lengh of the term that you "must" stay, its not for the plan . I have changed plans many times to better ones during my term. maybe im missing the point of this thread and maybe your saying that other providers might give you better plans but rogers will work with you on plans of any type regardless of your contracted term with them.thought i would just pass this along but i am sure most you know this already.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-16, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Jimbo;

I think most providers will let you change your plan as long as the replacement is at least as expensive as the plan that qualified you for the phone subsidy. I have switched plans with Clearnet, and then Telus, several times while I was under contract, without penalty.

To qualify for the free Blackberry Pearl, one had to have a minimum $30 voice plan (before SAF, 9-1-1, etc) AND a $15 data plan (includes everything so there is no option to upgrade. For me, the $30 voice plan is part of a family-plan so I share the daytime minutes with my partner who then only pays $10. With unlimited evenings and weekends, which Telus bonused us at no charge because I've been a client since Clearnet, and free calling between us wherever we are in Canada, we have all the minutes we need. However, if I was to attempt to downgrade the plan, I would expect to encounter some objection from Telus.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-17, 09:27 AM
Veteran

I
Quote:
think most providers will let you change your plan as long as the replacement is at least as expensive as the plan that qualified you for the phone subsidy. I have switched plans with Clearnet, and then Telus, several times while I was under contract, without penalty.
With Rogers I have switched my plan to cheaper plans while in my contract with no problems. I think you can have any plan they offer, as long as it is not specified for new customers only.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-17, 11:20 AM

Yes Rogers allows downgrades in your plan, and when I was with Telus 3-4 years ago they did not allow that. Not sure of current policy but I found Telus to be much more restrictive than Rogers has been when it comes these sorts of things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in