Official: Apple announces faster, cheaper iPhone (includes review) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 2008-06-11, 01:01 PM
Veteran

I guess all we can do is wait and see. Not much we can do about what Rogers decides to do.

Last edited by hugh; 2008-06-11 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 2008-06-11, 05:16 PM

Cool

Not being a dick here but, yeah, there IS something we can do. Not bow to the corporate arm-twisting and skin-flinty data packages of Rogers and take our business elsewhere.

Ok, that came off a bit "dick-like" and if anyone's offended I apologize as that wasn't my intent. It's just that the more I hear of Rogers, and my experience over the past 3 years, the less I want to deal with them.

Seriously. 3 year, locked-in contracts with no option for shorter terms? Data rates significantly higher than in the US or just about anywhere else on the planet?

I LOVE the iPhone but I'll set that love aside and either wait for another carrier offering the iPhone to appear, and that could be awhile, or buy an unlocked one should they appear.

OK. I think I'm done.

MT

PS, yeah jshel, you're right. Gotta wait and see and not get so worked up.

BTW. Would you really use that much bandwidth (1-2 GB) surfing when there are going to be loads of opportunities to wifi surf instead?

Last edited by hugh; 2008-06-11 at 06:08 PM.
post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 2008-06-11, 06:10 PM
Veteran

Quote:
BTW. Would you really use that much bandwidth (1-2 GB) surfing when there are going to be loads of opportunities to wifi surf instead?
Remember that the iPhone will auto-select the radio to use so that your experience is the best. That means that if the WiFi available is only B and not G, you will likely and unknowingly stay on 3G.

post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 2008-06-11, 06:31 PM

Oh,

Thanks que3jxp.

I'm guessing there will be some sort of option to "tap-out" of 3G/Edge and use WiFi anyway.

I hope.

MT
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 2008-06-11, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexsloth View Post
does that include unlimited tethered data, a.k.a hooking your phone up to a mini-pc or laptop and going to town?
No it is unlimited on device data. ie email, html browsing, youtube, XM radio, mobiTV, etc

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 2008-06-11, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahTibbs View Post
Oh,

Thanks que3jxp.

I'm guessing there will be some sort of option to "tap-out" of 3G/Edge and use WiFi anyway.

I hope.

MT
Yes the 2.0 firmware is already out and its been noted there is a 3G on/off toggle. EDGE toggle was already there and I assume it still will be.
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 09:54 AM

I see on Rogers web site they have stated a 3 year contract is required. (and no info yet on data charges).

That said here are my questions: What if you already own an original iphone, jailbroken and bought in the USA currently on the Rogers system? Are those several thousand or maybe tens of thousands screwed?

Is visible voice mail going to be available here, or is it only on ATT?

I'm sure there is a hard working coffee machine in board room of the the Rogers tower right now.
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 10:23 AM
Veteran

I sent Rogers an email inquiring about what the data plans are going to be. I also asked them why we have to sign up for a 3 year contract while almost everyone else is only requiring a 2 year contract with a lot cheaper data plans. They ignored that portion of my email. They just said that we will have to wait until the product is released to the consumers. Most of their reply was the normal canned response. I suspect they won't give much of a deal. Maybe we have to wait until there is more competition on the GSM network before we get good rates.

Last edited by hugh; 2008-06-13 at 11:14 AM.
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 11:03 AM

Well on Monday my Moto Razr decided to have about 6 buttons no longer function. Coincidence, I think not. Must be a sign that I need an iPhone.

Cambridge, ON
Rogers, SA 8300HD PVR, Panasonic TC-P42X2 TV, PS3, Yamaha RX-V671, Apple TV 2
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 12:14 PM
Veteran

Wow, boatracer! It was in your destiny... I wish my Razr would die about a week and a half from now...

Actually, the timing of this isn't very good. I'll be in the US for 6 weeks starting July 2nd. By the time I get back, I'm afraid iPhone stocks will be severely depleted in Canada.
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 2008-07-01, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimgrund View Post
If Rogers didn't introduce more than 1 GB for the BlackBerry to help out RIM (a Canadian company who they have had an amicable relationship with), why the HECK would they do it to help out Apple (an American company whose relationship with Rogers has been QUITE rocky)?

I would be SHOCKED if Rogers offered anything MORE than 3 GB per month. They sure as HECK won't introduce unlimited for ANY amount of money.

I bet my LIFE on that.

Like the BlackBerry, the iPhone will have 'data tiers' starting at a more reasonable 100 MB and going up to 3 GB (the 3 GB plan costing close to $75 a month, data only)

Although AT&T set the bar, Rogers has proved in the past, that they play by their own set of rules.

Unfortunately, the iPhone won't change that.
And my life is protected!!!
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 2008-07-10, 11:43 PM

http://live.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Look/iPhone3G

tear down of the inside bits.

Battery clipped on, so more easily replaceable for a DIY'er I guess.
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 09:02 PM
Veteran

Not sure if this is the right place but since u guys own them maybe yo know.

Some questions based on 100% PC user only no apple products at all:
-Do the iphone sync well with PC's?
-Do they sync with Vista's built in mail,contacts and calandar?
-Do they sync with XP and outlook xpress?
-Do they sync with outlook
-Do you have to use apple media players on your PC?

Thanks

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in