How Can I Port My Number But Keep My Plan - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-06-07, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

How Can I Port My Number But Keep My Plan

Hi All, I'm hoping I can get some advice here. When Rogers begins selling the iPhone, probably next week or the week after, I intend to purchase one.

However, I currently have 8 months to go on my Bell 3-year contract. I really like my plan with Bell and I don't want to get rid of it or my Bell phone. What I'd like to do is keep my Bell plan and my Bell phone but give the phone to my girlfriend. I'd like as little hassle as possible with Bell and my plan with them is really, really good so I expect them to use any excuse whatsoever to change the contract so that they can take away my promo items (long distance, data, caller id, etc).

But, the thing is, I do want a new phone number for my girlfriend so that I can keep my existing number when I get the iPhone. I need to keep my existing number. I know that number portability exists, but I was told that if I go to Rogers first and tell them to port the number, the current system will cancel the Bell plan, which I don't want to do.

So, my question is, what order should I go to the Bell and Rogers customer service? Should I go to Bell first, ask them just to change the number, and then walk over to the Rogers store and tell them to specifically take my old number? Will this work? Is there any danger of the number being taken by someone else? In this scenario, can Bell prevent the number from being used by Rogers?

What if I go to the Rogers customer service first, and ask them to port the number? Then walk to the Bell store and ask them to change the number on my plan? Will this work, or will the system have already canceled my Bell plan? Will the number still be portable by Rogers, or will changing it at Bell right away cause it to become unportable?

What is the best way? You can assume that I'll be doing this in a mall where there is both a Rogers store and a Bell store, and can be at their respective customer service desks within five minutes.

Anyone with good knowledge of the way the current cell phone number database system works tell me what is the best way to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-06-07, 03:45 PM

Why don't you keep using the Bell phone until the plan expires. Then get Rogers to transfer the number to the new phone? The Bell phone could then be activated in the GFs name. I wouldn't trust Bell to do anything with the old phone without messing it up.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-06-07, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Is Bell really that incompetent? I'm not clear on what you're suggesting-- are you suggesting that I get the iPhone but just carry around two phones, or even set up call forwarding on the Bell phone? Besides, once the contract expires, I'm hoping I can convince Bell to just maintain the status quo. I don't have a problem with the name the phone is activated in. My gf and I live together and have done so for more than a year. We share bank accounts, etc. So it might be more accurate to call her my common law spouse or even wife. She does need a phone, anyway...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-06-07, 06:47 PM

What you want to do is impossible with the way the carriers have set up the porting system.

There is a possible work around if you have an old Bell phone. Activate the old phone on any plan (on a 30 day term), once activated do mobile number swap (not ESN swap) so that your number is on the new account and the new number is on the account you want to keep. Then you can port your number to rogers.

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-06-07, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

That's a great idea! Except that I don't have an old Bell phone. Anyone in Vancouver with a Bell phone want to let me borrow it so I can do this? Any other suggestions?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-06-07, 09:32 PM
Veteran

There is no point second guessing the system and how you can get around it to suit your purpose. What I would do is contact Bell and ask them if they can flag your account so that when you port your number to the new phone that your existing service (plan) is not cancelled and that you just want a new number at that time.

I would not do it at a store but try to get hold of someone at Bell who is experienced and understands what you are trying to do - may require someone at a higher level.

Your average CSR will likely tell you it can't be done because they are not familiar with or have never done it. Unfortunately, the trend for customer service these days is to make up an answer (usually it's no) if they don't know the answer.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-06-08, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Any suggestions then of how I should contact Bell? Just use the contact number on my bill? Is there a specific department at Bell that I should be trying to reach?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-06-08, 11:14 PM
Veteran

I am not a customer of Bell and not familiar with their structure. I would start with the customer service number on the bill. If you sense that they don't know what they are doing, making up an answer or telling you it can't be done (just because they probably don't know), I suggest escalating the matter and at that point finding out who that next level is.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-06-08, 11:43 PM

I was in somewhat of a similar situation as you a few weeks ago when I got my blackberry from telus and gave my existing rogers phone to my wife. I would strongly recommend that you don't try what you'd like to do because one little mistake and you killer bell plan is gone and they won't do anything to get it back for you. If you think you have a sure fire plan figued out then go for it cause I'd really like to see you succeed. Otherwise you may have to be like me and bite the bullet by getting a new number.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 08:36 AM
Veteran

this is why people should read this post before they SIGN Any agreement. Once you pass the 15 day or so what ever it is buyer's remourse period, you are stuck with a contract...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in