To be really able to browse - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-06-03, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Location: Vinegar Hill, Sony KDS50A2000, Samsung LNT4061, NB 3.0, PS3, TT GO730, BB Q10
To be really able to browse

My wife and I share a plan....an older but generous EPP plan with Bell Mobility.

I have had a Motorola Razr for the past 18 months.

Part of this plan is unlimited internet browsing but I only use it to access my gmail account for as far as I can tell my Razr has very limited surfing capabilities.

So I would like to move up to a more internet capable phone.

Any suggestions? And what plan would I need to be able to benefit from the better phone?

Last edited by Rouge21; 2008-06-04 at 05:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-06-03, 10:40 PM

This might not be of use to you if you're on Bell, but I have a Blackberry Curve on Telus with unlimited data and I absolutely love it. Web browsing is very good (WAP and HTML) and easy, particularly with the Opera Mini browser.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-06-03, 10:55 PM

HTC Touch has a full HTML web browser and it would not cost you any extra on your monthly bill because you already have the unlimited browser option on your account.

In addition to the web browsing you can set it up to retrieve your email (I have my Hotmail and Sympatico accounts set up on the device)

Bell also has an unlimited data option for other smartphones and Blackberries for $30/mth but you would need a minimum $30 voice plan to add that option and most of the EPP's are for less so you would need to increase your spending quite a bit.

I have been using the Touch since the day it was launched and strongly recommend it.

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-06-03, 11:36 PM
Veteran

i also recomend the touch(even though im on my 4th unit!)

Also the opera mini browser is really recommended, i use it 95% of the time over the inlcluded browser that i now only use for going to youtube. Opera will work on the most basic handsets to smart phones

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Location: Vinegar Hill, Sony KDS50A2000, Samsung LNT4061, NB 3.0, PS3, TT GO730, BB Q10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckster View Post
HTC Touch has a full HTML web browser and it would not cost you any extra on your monthly bill because you already have the unlimited browser option on your account.

In addition to the web browsing you can set it up to retrieve your email (I have my Hotmail and Sympatico accounts set up on the device)

Bell also has an unlimited data option for other smartphones and Blackberries for $30/mth but you would need a minimum $30 voice plan to add that option and most of the EPP's are for less so you would need to increase your spending quite a bit.
I am still looking into my next phone. Thanks for the feedback.

But can I use the "unlimited browser" option that I currently have, to now use with an HTC Touch? Or do I instead need a 'data' option? What is the difference?
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 02:09 PM

I also recommend the HTC Touch....my wife and I both have one. As for keeping your unlimited browsing, it might depend on the EPP plan you have, but my EPP plan (the best one Bell offers ) definitely allows me to have unlimited internet. If your plan doesn't support unlimited browsing on the HTC you can add the feature for $7 a month.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Several years ago I had as my first phone a Nokia 3586i. It had the so useful feature...how do I describe it...well it could "book the ringer off" for a set time in advance (and then it would activate to a time of my choosing) . So my routine upon entering my workplace was to turn off any ring tones and set it to vibrate only. But I was able to set the time at which it would become audible again.

Unfortunately, I know that the Pearl doesn't do this .

Can the HTC Touch do it?
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergenius View Post
I also recommend the HTC Touch....my wife and I both have one. As for keeping your unlimited browsing, it might depend on the EPP plan you have, but my EPP plan (the best one Bell offers ) definitely allows me to have unlimited internet. If your plan doesn't support unlimited browsing on the HTC you can add the feature for $7 a month.
I understand there is a phone version and a PDA version of the HTC touch. But the cheaper $7 unlimited browsing can only be used on the phone version and one would need to 'buy' $30 unlimted data plan for the PDA edition. Do I have all of this right?

I wonder how much better than my Motorola Razr is the HTC touch PHONE for internet browsing? Basically all I can do with my Razr is check my Gmail account . If I am upgrading phones I do want to know that the internet experience is improved. And paying only $7 instead of $30 would be preferrable.

Thanks for your advice.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouge21 View Post
I understand there is a phone version and a PDA version of the HTC touch. But the cheaper $7 unlimited browsing can only be used on the phone version and one would need to 'buy' $30 unlimted data plan for the PDA edition. Do I have all of this right?

I wonder how much better than my Motorola Razr is the HTC touch PHONE for internet browsing? Basically all I can do with my Razr is check my Gmail account . If I am upgrading phones I do want to know that the internet experience is improved. And paying only $7 instead of $30 would be preferrable.

Thanks for your advice.
I don't think there are 2 versions of the Touch, there are other HTC products that are labelled as PDA's. As for how much better the touch is, its like running a PC on a phone. Browsing is just like browsing on your PC only smaller.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 06:20 PM

There are two versions of the Touch, a CDMA version which Bell and Telus use, and a GSM version that rogers uses.

Both variants are PDA's, but Bell has basically "told" its system that the Touch is a reular phone. Because of this the Touch qualifies for the same $7 unlimited mobile browser that you already have on your account.

The Touch also has an "automatic" setting for the ringer so that it is on vibrate during the day, and rings at night. I cannot, however, find the setting to control when it switches between the two settings.

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-06-14, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckster View Post
There are two versions of the Touch, a CDMA version which Bell and Telus use, and a GSM version that rogers uses.

Both variants are PDA's, but Bell has basically "told" its system that the Touch is a reular phone.
With the advice here I have decided to go with the HTC Touch. I have a $250hardware upgrade credit which I could use but maybe this isnt necessary depending on the new plan that I do an early renewal for.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-06-15, 08:42 AM

Good choice, one recomendation I have is to go into the settings and enable the option that will close an application when you hit the "X" an opposed to minimize the application.

Applications will launch a little slower, but the phone will be much more stable and won't freeze.

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-06-15, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergenius View Post
I also recommend the HTC Touch....my wife and I both have one.
Just curious as to the existing models of HTC touch available through Bell.

If there is a new model coming imimently I could wait .
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-06-17, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouge21 View Post
With the advice here I have decided to go with the HTC Touch. I have a $250 hardware upgrade credit which I could use
So I went last night to my closest Bell World intending to get the TOUCH. However the rep was adamant to *not* get the Touch...too many problems that he has seen...many customers returning it with issues. He recommended the LG Advantage, although it was sold out.

But he did say one advantage of the TOUCH over the LG was that the TOUCH was superior to internet browsing/surfing than the LG.

I actually like the look of the LG because it is more phone like but if I am going to use my $250 credit I do want a phone that is superior to my Razr for ease of internet use.

What do you think guys and girls?

Last edited by Rouge21; 2008-06-17 at 09:03 AM.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 2008-06-17, 09:01 AM
Cap

TOUCH can take advantage of the unlimited rowser..no need for a "data" plan wit touch...

50PX75U, (rogers') 8300HDPVR, 42PD50, Macbook Pro
Imac 3.2ghz, Apple TV2, Iphone4, Time Capsule, VOIP Line,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in