7-11 Wireless Phone Information required - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 21
7-11 Wireless Phone Information required

Hi there,

I stopped into 7-Eleven tonight to get some info with respect to their plans. The clerk told me that they do not sell sim cards only phones and minutes. Is that the case? Reading some previous posts it sounds like the did sell sims, minutes and phones?

I do have some new Rogers sims that can be activated however they require a minimum $10 per month top up.

Any info on the 7-Eleven plans would be appreciated as my system is expected early next week.

Thanks in advance.
Wes

Last edited by woa26927; 2008-01-11 at 10:21 PM.
woa26927 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 10:41 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 13
7-11 sim Cards

Quote:
Hi there,

I stopped into 7-Eleven tonight to get some info with respect to their plans. The clerk told me that they do not sell sim cards only phones and minutes. Is that the case? Reading some previous posts it sounds like the did sell sims, minutes and phones?

I do have some new Rogers sims that can be activated however they require a minimum $10 per month top up.

Any info on the 7-Eleven plans would be appreciated as my system is expected early next week.

Thanks in advance.
Wes

Wes,

That's correct. The 7-11 sells phones and air cards. In December they had a deal where you could buy a $100 phone card and they gave you a $75 credit towards the cost of a phone. Their cheapest phone is $75. Check here for rates:

http://www.7-eleven.com/products/doc...ochure_can.pdf

Don't forget Bell was charging $19.95 every month for their service. How long do you think it would take to pay for a 7-11 phone?
General99 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 21
Hi General99,

Your posts are always a great read and full of information

Does 7-Eleven sell sims? Please see my post above. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
woa26927 is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 10:48 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 13
Quote:
Any info on the 7-Eleven plans would be appreciated as my system is expected early next week.

Thanks in advance.
Wes
Run speakoutbrochure_can in Google to find the rates.

7-11 only sells phones and cards, not Sims. But at 19.95 a month how long do you think it would take to pay for a 7-11 phone and their rates are ideal for our purpose. A $25 card will not expire till a full year has past.

Last edited by General99; 2008-01-11 at 10:57 PM.
General99 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 21
Thanks, I have checked out the brochure prior to heading into the store tonight. I guess my question is does 7-Eleven sell sims or how do you get them. I have a couple of unused from Rogers but they are $10 per month minimum top-up.

Thanks
woa26927 is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 11:03 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 13
Quote:
Thanks, I have checked out the brochure prior to heading into the store tonight. I guess my question is does 7-Eleven sell sims or how do you get them. I have a couple of unused from Rogers but they are $10 per month minimum top-up.

Thanks
You buy a phone from 7-11, take it home, put in the battery make a call (this is important) then remove the battery take out the SIM and place it in the GSM module connect the battery (make sure there is no battery or power connected to the phone or GSM when you are removing or installing the SIM.)to the GSM module then connect the GSM module to the Powermax panel with the supplied network cable, configure the panel to turn on the GSM feature and you're done.

Bell charged you 19.95 a month. How long do you think it would take to pay for a 7-11 phone and their rates are ideal for our purpose. A $25 card will not expire till a full year has past.
General99 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by General99 View Post
You buy a phone from 7-11, take it home, put in the battery make a call (this is important) then remove the battery take out the SIM and place it in the GSM module connect the battery (make sure there is no battery or power connected to the phone or GSM when you are removing or installing the SIM.)to the GSM module then connect the GSM module to the Powermax panel with the supplied network cable, configure the panel to turn on the GSM feature and you're done.

Bell charged you 19.95 a month. How long do you think it would take to pay for a 7-11 phone and their rates are ideal for our purpose. A $25 card will not expire till a full year has past.
Thanks. Are all phones at 7-Eleven GSM/sim phones? Which one did you purchase and what were the fees with a $25 card? Sorry for all the questions....the clerk in the store tonight was of very little help.

This route seems so much cheaper than Bell. Thanks to yourself and FootandMouth for helping us all out.

Regards,
Wes
woa26927 is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 11:51 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 13
Quote:
Thanks. Are all phones at 7-Eleven GSM/sim phones? Which one did you purchase and what were the fees with a $25 card? Sorry for all the questions....the clerk in the store tonight was of very little help.

This route seems so much cheaper than Bell. Thanks to yourself and FootandMouth for helping us all out.

Regards,
Wes
Yes, all the phones have SIM cards (It's Roger's network). In December if you bought a $100 phone card there was a $75 credit towards a phone. The Nokia 1600 is $75 so that's the phone I chose. (If they have a cheaper one get it, all you want is the SIM card) Talk about a "throw away phone" they don't even ask who you are! Calls cost $0.20 per minute and SMS messages are $0.05 each. The card lasts a year.
Incidentally if you travel a lot there are many sites on the internet that sell SIM cards for different countries. The only trick is your phone must be "unlocked" (able to connect to any network). I read somewhere all the 7-11 phones are "unlocked". I'm going to try this out in March when I travel to Belize. If the phone is "unlocked" it should work if not you'll find out soon enough. There are several sites you can go to and get instructions to unlock almost any phone.
General99 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-11, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by General99 View Post
Yes, all the phones have SIM cards (It's Roger's network). In December if you bought a $100 phone card there was a $75 credit towards a phone. The Nokia 1600 is $75 so that's the phone I chose. (If they have a cheaper one get it, all you want is the SIM card) Talk about a "throw away phone" they don't even ask who you are! Calls cost $0.20 per minute and SMS messages are $0.05 each. The card lasts a year.
Incidentally if you travel a lot there are many sites on the internet that sell SIM cards for different countries. The only trick is your phone must be "unlocked" (able to connect to any network). I read somewhere all the 7-11 phones are "unlocked". I'm going to try this out in March when I travel to Belize. If the phone is "unlocked" it should work if not you'll find out soon enough. There are several sites you can go to and get instructions to unlock almost any phone.
Correct me if I am wrong but is sounds like all of their phones come with sim cards. How do you know that you are getting the Roger's sim? Would the cheapest phone come with a Roger's sim?
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
woa26927 is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 12:49 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 13
Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong but is sounds like all of their phones come with sim cards. How do you know that you are getting the Roger's sim? Would the cheapest phone come with a Roger's sim?
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
They are all Rogers' SIM cards. Rogers is the only cell network in Canada that uses SIM cards. The Speakout 7-11 Network is a customer of Roger's.
General99 is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 21
Thanks.
woa26927 is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-02-09, 10:44 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1
Roger sim cards

Can I use a Rogers sim card to use the 7-11 prepaid speakout service? If so does it have to be a virgin card or can I use the sim I am using with Rogers pay as you go service?
thanks for any info you may be able to provide.

fff
faithfullyflyer is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-02-10, 11:34 AM
apn
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 569
Quote:
Can I use a Rogers sim card to use the 7-11 prepaid speakout service? If so does it have to be a virgin card or can I use the sim I am using with Rogers pay as you go service?
I don't think you can use a virgin Rogers SIM for 7-11 service, since I understood that the SIMs were partialluy activated i.e. everything but the telephone # assigned. 7-11 sells phones with SIMs, but not SIMs alone. When you get the phone, I think you just call a tollfree number to complete the activation process.

Secondly, if you insert a pre-activated Rogers SIM be it Paygo or post-paid, into a 7-11 or other unlocked GSM phone, then your calls will be placed on the network service already defined by the SIM card i.e. they'll be on Rogers billing, not 7-11.

The bottom line is that if you want to run 7-11 or PetroCanada services (both are provided by the Ztar MVNO on the Rogers network), then you have to acquire and activate their SIM card, which means buying a phone. Note that once in a while they repeat the $75 phone credit with purchase of $100 airtime card. That deal is rumured to be starting again around mid-February.
apn is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-02-17, 12:22 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: GTA
Posts: 335
I heard from a store manager that the $75 promotion with phone&$100 card purchase will be on again in March. Essentially a free phone, or at the least for those with a locked Rogers phone, a free SIM and lower rates.
my0gr81 is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-02-17, 02:04 PM
apn
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 569
Unfortunately, I think that's wrong. After calling a store yesterday on behalf of my mother-in-law (looking for a new phone), I was told that the current promotion is;

Buy any airtime card and receive $25 credit towards the purchase of a phone. This promo apparently runs Feb 1st to Mar 31st

The $75 deal is rumored to be back in the summer.
apn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome