Using my new Cell Phone as High Speed Internet "modem" - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Using my new Cell Phone as High Speed Internet "modem"

ok - newbie to cell phones that don't plug into a cigar lighter....
Quite by accident, I have discovered my new Motorola/Bell cell phone works as a high speed internet modem on my home p.c.. I guess when I installed Motorola "phonetools", it automatically set me up with this "high speed packet data" connection.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me as far as how much it costs them to use this sort of service and how reliable and/or fast the service is?
I am on dial-up now, so my test run sure seemed fast to me - pc showed 256K connection down at the task bar. This was at 2 a.m.
I am currently waiting for the install of an ota type high speed antenna for $400 up front +$40/mo for high speed...there is no DSL cable or Sympatico in my rural area. I wonder if this cell thing might serve my needs better than the antenna. possibility of roaming with a laptop kinda cool.
I realize I should be asking my provider about costs but I'm not sure I can "keep up" with the technical aspects of that conversation, so I'm looking for some real experienced insight.
My provider shows "Unlimited Mobile Browser" for $7/mo... I'm guessing this mobile browser is not what I'm doing though?....Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 01:57 PM

CHeck with your provider, I know it can be very expensive, like 25 a month for 4mb and $12 for each addition mb. You should check it out before using it again.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 02:04 PM

Make sure to call in to check out the pricing, or risk a horror story like this

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76039

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 02:57 PM

Depending on the plan you are on, you pay around 12 dollars a Megabyte. You could spend that browsing one web page with lots of audio and video graphics... It ain't cheap. If I were you I'd check with Bell and see what you owe them before continuing to surf the net over your cell phone. There are dedicated data plans (see link below).

http://www.bell.ca/shop/Sme.Sol.Wire...net.Plans.page

We're getting gouged BIG TIME here in Canada for mobile data use. We pay one of the highest rates there is.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

wow, thanks ! I'll check before I use it again... ouch.... that's rediculous $.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 06:05 PM

You can check to see if Bell High Speed Unplugged or the rogers equivalent is available in your area. The Bell website can tell you if it is available using your postal code, I'm sure rogers can do the same thing.

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hystat View Post
wow, thanks ! I'll check before I use it again... ouch.... that's rediculous $.
hehe
I just figured I would mention, in case you decided to download a few movies...
Ouch!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-12-30, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

neither the Rogers nor Sympatico unplugged is available here. I guess that's why almost everyone on my street has these antennas for internet. The company is called "Cable Cable" oddly enough that does the antenna thing.
A lot cheaper than the $85,000.00 for cell.
If I got that $85K bill, I'd invest another $25,000 in trying to make it as high a profile story as possible. I hate Bell.
$70.00 in the US
$85,000.00 in Canada
how can this be a legal business practice?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-12-31, 08:54 AM
Veteran

hte $85,000 bill is billed at per kilobyte usage, ie: pay per use. This is the WRONG plan for what the customer was using it for. This is how it can be legal business practice. If the customer happened to choose the Right plan for Feathering, or Teathering modem to a pc, then the cost would be probaly somewhere arround $3000, which is what the good will measure that bell quoted him. The states handles modem teathering differnently than canada, where DATA is DATA and its billed at one rate. Unfortunately, bell fails to recognize that, and DATA does NOT Equal Data on bell, or atleast on their billing system, thats why the misinformed sales agent or the customer may have been mis informed..
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-12-31, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
hte $85,000 bill is billed at per kilobyte usage, ie: pay per use. This is the WRONG plan for what the customer was using it for. This is how it can be legal business practice. If the customer happened to choose the Right plan for Feathering, or Teathering modem to a pc, then the cost would be probaly somewhere arround $3000, which is what the good will measure that bell quoted him. The states handles modem teathering differnently than canada, where DATA is DATA and its billed at one rate. Unfortunately, bell fails to recognize that, and DATA does NOT Equal Data on bell, or atleast on their billing system, thats why the misinformed sales agent or the customer may have been mis informed..
In defence of Bell and every other carrier in Canada (whether it is right or wrong), common sense would make someone wonder why you would be able to hook up a computer to a cell phone and have unlimited bandwidth for $7 when the same company and others charge three times that for dial-up. Would you think that thousands of customers are just to stupid to keep paying over $50/mth for high speed, when you're getting it for $7, or would you do a little research?

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2007-12-31, 08:51 PM
Veteran

thanks or defending bell, I was merely trying to set an example of the customer agreeing to the Disclaimer but then complaining about it. He probaly did not read the warnings when he agreed to them, which a lot of people don;t do. I am not saying bell is bad, but this could happen on any ones network, bell, rogers, fido, telis.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-01-01, 06:53 AM

I realise you weren't condemning Bell, and I'm not defending tethered data rates either. I would be willing to pay more for my unlimited data on my Touch (don't tell Bell that though) though because I think I am getting a great deal.

The person who ran up the $85000 bill apparently had to install a program called Mobile Connect which gave two warnings, one before download, and one during install, which warned him that using this software would incur extra data charges, not included in his mobile browser bundle.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-01-01, 10:01 PM
Veteran

I dont think Bell or any of them need defending. The entire cell phone market is misleading the customer... This whole unlimited thing that started up in december with telus and bell has been a wordwind of confusion, unlimited on the smart phone but not the blackberry, is browsing on a cell phone the same as a smart phone or a black berry ect ect. The entire process of getting a straight answer about there products and services is insane! STaff dont know the plans or the hardware in many cases. I had to shoe them where the sd card inserted!

I got on the 15$ unlimited plan with telus after starting off on there 15$ 2meg serive in november(i got lucky and in december they allowed me to change to the new promo) if i went in blindly i would not have talked to 4 different store workers(3 had no idea that there adverticed unlimited text and email also included web browsing!) And i called the client care 3 times to get verbal confirmation that i wont get wacked with data charges regardless of how the phone conects to the web(it think it dials in and has wireless access, again im not techy enough to know). My coworker was equally excited and paranoid and called a few times to be absolutly sure before he traded in his overpriced blackberry for the touch phone...

we feel safe at this point, but every time i see one of these threads pop up i have to take a look..... And i get worried all over again! LOL

I found that things where very confusing when shopping around, and staff that did not know there product was very common, from bell to telus to rogers i was able to find people that did not know the promos or the hardware.. IT was very fustrating when you asked a question and they sort of told u what you wanted to hear because they were not sure.. I can see how someone would walk out thinking 7$ unlimited was unlimited and that hooking your phone to your pc was included, the instructions come on the setup cd on how to turn your phone into a modem for petes sakes! LOL
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-01-02, 09:43 PM

A good reason to shop in corporate stores rather than franchises that carry every service providers product. The franchises no doubt operate on a smaller budget and have to train sales staff in a huge number of products. Moreover, there are a lot of part-time staff on hand in December. No wonder they get things mixed up.

In Toronto, Telus has pulled out of a lot, if not all, of the multi-product wireless stores so at least, if you are at a corporate store or a franchise, they are only selling Telus plans.

It didn't help that most of the printed advertising was prepared long before competition drove Telus and Bell to enrich their offerings. Clients were naturally wary when they were being told things that were inconsistent with the pamphlets in the store and the print ads. And when the plan was the proverbial "too good to be true (in Canada)"....

Now I hear that sales of the Telus $15 unlimited plan have been extended to February even though we were told they would end Dec 31. It would be nice if Telus were to come out with some new print material containing the new details - or at least refer customers to a website with the current promotion spelled out. And just so no one gets excited - it's new sales of the plan that are to end, not the plan itself.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

I received ZERO warnings before connecting. ALSO, I did not ask for the service, was not told the service existed, and was not told my phone could do it or what it costs. That's why I posted here, thankfully.... I could have very well have thought to myself "well, it cant cost THAT much...." and downloaded a $500 movie...
When I installed "phonetools" which is a REQUIRED program to even get any stupid mp3 files onto the phone, the tether application was installed automatically without my option of not having it.
Also, when it installs it, it puts the Cell phone connection icon EXACTLY where my dial up icon used to be...it would be a simple mistake to not even realize one had connected through the phone by accident.

For something to cost $70/month in the USA, and $3000 to $85000 here is simply legal loopholed corporate white collar crime, and why Canadians aren't getting tired of grabbing their ankles every time they pick up a phone is beyond me.
This industry seems to have children all lovingly willing to blow hundreds of dollars on the stupidest things like text messaging complete garbage to each other all day long. geepers... is that childhood these days? how sad!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in