Using my new Cell Phone as High Speed Internet "modem" - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 10:45 AM

Why don't you buy a data card like the U720 and get the "unlimited" plan from bell? 75$ + access fee

If you're in a reva EVDO area you can expect speeds close to 2mb down. I don't download movies, music, etc but I typically use 3-5 gig a month without any issues yet.

You can actually pick up the Kyocera KR1 router out of the states and set up a whole home wireless network through your data card.

If you have a weak signal the Wilson amps and antennas for the U720 also work like a charm with bell. I picked these up as the snow on nearby trees was giving me a bit of a hit on my signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-01-04, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

not sure what all of that is? When a rep from Bell called me a couple months back to review all of my services, there was no high speed available in my area from Bell.

Got my RF high speed antenna installed by CableCable today anyways. It works great. It's only $40/month and for some reason the quoted $300 start up cost was halved!!
(I think simply because I helped with the install by fishing coax through my basement ceiling... I didn't ask too much why)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-08-02, 01:33 PM
Rookie

Just wondering If there is anything new to this highspeed internet option? I tried the Rogers outdoor modem for Wimax but I'm to far away. Rogers cell tower is about 5 km away from my house and bell is not an option as the cell signal is very week at best.......D

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 03:44 PM

rogers has a $30 for 6gb tethering plan for their phones .. if you have 3g in your area and can stay under 6gb per month this is a decent option for those without acess to highspeed via landlines. I set my friend up on this, as he likes to plan WoW at work, and has access to the 3g network in his area.

at my cabin i use telus's connect 75 unlimted plan (can still get with L&R).. with an sierra expresscard + cradlepoint mobile router. Its a nice Highspeed evdo A connection, and unlimted usage (I use about 20-40gb per month while on the go).. its quite nice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in