Cellular service for nonusers - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-11-06, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Cellular service for nonusers

I want to get a cell phone that I hope we will never have to use. I want it for roadside emergencies here and twice a year in the US, and I want it for when the power fails--as it did here last weekend taking my internet service and Vonage phone service with it for two days.

So, what I am looking for is the lowest yearly cost to me here in Nova Scotia. Friends say they have Aliant prepaid for $100 a year. I can't find such an offer. What's the best deal anyone can recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-11-06, 08:57 AM
Veteran

rogers has a $100 a year as well, but that is just for the Airtime. You have to "obtain" or "purchase" a gsm phone seperately which will cost extra. If you have an old unlocked gsm handset kicking arround, just use that and it will save some extra money in your pocket, then activate it at the rogers store and add the $100 365day voucher onto your account and WALA your set
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-11-06, 09:15 AM
Member #1

I have Virgin. Buy the phone and then a one year card for $100. I'm sure Aliant has something similar but you might have to dig for the information since they would prefer to sell you on a regular monthly plan.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-11-06, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I looked at Virgin. The problem is that the last I looked they did not have service in the US.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-11-06, 12:39 PM

If you lived Ontario - West, 7-Eleven is the cheapest way to go. My wife needed a low use phone, so last September: I bought $100 in air time (@ 20 cents a minute local, 30 cents long distance) you got a phone for free, and the minutes were good for 365 days. 99 cents a month for 911 fees.

Petro Canada http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/independent/2321.aspx uses the same company as 7 - Eleven and has the same rates. You can use petro points to buy the phone and the minutes. But, not as good of a deal as 7-11. The cheapest phone is $60.

I also have a virgin phone, but the per minute rate is 30 cents local, 50 cents long distance, and minutes last 365 days if you buy $100 worth. No 911 fees.

Superstore/ Loblaws has prepaid phone service as well. Their phone can work in the states, but it is like $2.50 / minute.
http://mobile.presidentschoice.ca/ed.../MobileHome.vm The yearly cost is higher, $25 for 60 days x 6 = $200 /year. When you roam with your PC mobile phone in the USA, the following charges apply: $1.80 CDN/min for airtime if you make a call to anywhere within the same US local calling area where you are physically located. Additional $0.99 CDN/min for any long distance calls you make outside the US local calling area where you are physically located. Both of the above charges ($1.80 and $0.99) apply to all incoming calls, while roaming in the USA

If you don't use the phone in the US that much, I suggest a roll of US quarters and a prepaid calling card to use at a payphone.

Neither 7-11, petrocan or virgin work in the US. Some folks recommend you buy a 7-11 phone in the US or T-mobile if you are there enough.

Remember, any phone (with or without minutes left) will call 911 in USA or Canada.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-11-06, 01:12 PM
Member #1

Thanks Magnet, I learned some stuff !

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2007-11-06, 08:56 PM

Just get a cheap UNLOCKED GSM phone off ebay. If you only plan to use it in Canada and the States all you need is a dual band phone. If you'd like to be able to use it in anywhere else in the world, get a quad band phone. You can get an inexpensive phone for under $40.

Get the $100 pre-paid card on Rogers and you're all set.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in