Using the HTC Touch - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-10-22, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Using the HTC Touch

Telus was kind enough to send me an HTC Touch for the next several weeks so I have begun to use this iphone competitor and the phone that some are saying will be the next Google Phone.

I'll keep you posted on my progress

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-10-22, 10:58 PM
Veteran

Being currently tied into Telus and with no iPhone on the visible horizon here in Canada, I eagerly await your reports, hugh.
Give us plenty o' pics and progress reports (and if you find yourself in need of a second opinion, I'm here for ya, Buddy ).
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-10-29, 11:44 AM

So Hugh what do you think? Rogers had their Q4 launch in Winnipeg yesterday and announced the HTC Touch for GSM....So what do u think of it???? They also announced the Razo 2 V9(already on their website as coming), a LG Shine(my contact thinks it is the flip), Sony 850 coming with a 8 Gig card (now has a 2 gig card) and the touch already mentioned above.

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-10-29, 01:55 PM

HTC

Did you get P4000? Either way, how is the unit performed in the last 7 days?

I got a P4000 on Oct 23, and have had to charge the battery 4 times in 7 days. It's so bad, that I have to recharge 2 times a day to prevent the unit from turning off due to no charge left in it! all I've used so far is about 40 minutes of voice calls, vibe on about 50% off the time, Bluetooth on about 80% of the time, WiFi on never, and about 20 minutes total of web surfing over Evdo.

Before this, I had the Pearl on GSM. And that was very good. Constantly on vibe mode, Bluetooth on 100%, about 100 minutes of voice calls each day, about 10 minutes of web surning and about 15-20 emails send/receive each day. With all this, I had to recharge every 4 days (and it never went to 0% ever!).

Are you experiencing the same thing with your device?
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-10-29, 02:00 PM

I saw the touch at a kiosk - interesting & Wi-Mo6 at least...

I need a tactile keyboard but it is still nice...
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-10-30, 07:11 AM

Hey Voipmaster, I too own a P4000 with Telus, although I just sold it. It was a great phone, loved the tactile keyboard. I use wi-fi regularly and bluetooth every so often. I have to recharge every couple of days. I have a routine of docking it on my workstation at work so it's not a big issue for me. The plug they give you charges very fast too in case you have little time.

I never considered the battery life a problem. But then I've never owned many devices outside a 4th gen iPod that requires recharge consistently. I don't see it as a problem and marvel at how battery technology lasts as long as it does.

I bought an HTC touch unlocked over the Internet. It's a GSM phone and I'll have to get a SIM from Rogers. But Telus's Touch is a problem, it has no wi-fi which is completely lethal to me. I don't plan on paying by the Meg for digital access to Rogers or Telus. I want to make calls but I find using a PDA very handy for work and personal life, the phone is almost just a bonus. I sync exchange with wifi and I'm good. I can send/receive emails over wifi.

The lack of qwerty keyboard on touch is a problem but there are touch screen full sized keyboards you can find for windows mobile.
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-11-05, 07:46 PM

I'm really interested in hearing about your opinion on the Touch. Bell is offering unlimited data on it for $7/mth. If it is a good device, I will b getting one.

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-11-05, 10:59 PM
kje

Deckster, do you have a link with more info on Bell offering the Touch and this $7 uniimited data plan?
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-11-06, 06:15 PM

The Touch is going to be classified as a phone on Bell rather than a data device. That means that it will use a wap portal for it's data, and the $7 unlimited mobile browser option covers all data (unless you tether to a computer as a modem, then you need a data plan).

I need to know how well it works because unlimited data is useless if the device sucks.

This is a quote from their internal release info

"It is recommended that clients subscribe to the FUN 15 or FUN 25 Music bundles to gain access to the Unlimited Mobile Browser service in order to prevent unnecessary data charges and to use most applications requiring data on the device (i.e. Internet Explorer Mobile, Windows Live Messenger, Outlook Mobile, etc.) "

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-11-08, 09:07 PM

Here is a comparison between the HTC Touch and the iPhone:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphone...deo-320681.php
post #11 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-11-08, 11:09 PM
Veteran

Wayde, your unlocked version does or doesnt have wifi? With the insane data rates these days i personally would rather have the wifi so i can connect when i find a free hot spot, for me email and web is casual fun so its not a nessacity, we are looking to cut our land line and grab a pair of phones, and the touch is on the top of my list.... Telus min plan is 2meg wich is very scary to say the least, if i sign up i will likely not use the email. I if i was to forward my current email to the touch i would hit 2meg an hour just in spam....

I played with one today at telus and it was kinda kool, its not an iphone though, the screen is able to go horizontal and vertical but its done wiht a setting change not with movement of the devise wich i found annoying,
post #12 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-11-11, 04:08 PM
Veteran

Well i went and got one..

First annoyance and a very serious downfall. Windows mobile 6.1 does not sync:
-vista calandar
-vista contacts
-vista email
-vista ect

IF you have OUTLOOK your fine, i hate outlook at home its too bloated... IF i find a fix ill post back
post #13 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-11-11, 06:28 PM
Veteran

And hence my desire (and patience) to wait for the iPhone - seamless integration with iCal, iTunes, iAnything that you have on my Mac.

(Note - I also have a good Thinkpad, and would've been happy to use that with a WinMobile smartphone, but the kludgy, awkward, and unreliability of syncing with anything made that a dead-end street.)
post #14 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-11-11, 08:02 PM
Veteran

Thing i heard about the iphone and it could be BS is that because its so Internet dependent the if your out of service area you got nothing but a paper weight apparently you cannot get any use out of its other function... Again could be smoke blown right up my ---....

But MS really needs to fix this issue, its the lamest shortcoming i have ever experienced with a PC. And in away i feel its intentional. Because on the Windows mobile device center setup disk is a "FREE 60 DAY TRIAL PERIOD OF OUTLOOK!" Wow if thats not obvious i don't know what is. How could they sell me OUTLOOK if the thing worked with vista aps right out of the box?

I mean for me the non business person, simple PC hobbyist with that enjoys the toys but have no interest in a full out office suit(open source is just fine for that stuff) its frustration that i cannot sync all the items the phone will take with all the items i have included in vista. I don't need office or outlook i have basic functioning windows vista aps that do the job just fine.... I'm in search of a 3rd party sync utility now
post #15 of 93 (permalink) Old 2007-12-21, 08:50 AM
Rookie

HTC TOUCH - Screen Turns off

Hi there, I recently purchased an HTC Touch and love it. But for the last few days every time I plug my device into either the AC adapter or the USB for my computer, the screen turns blank. The device is still on because if I turn on the camera it works but as soon as i close that it turns blank again. The only programs I have installed are ones from SPB such as Mobile Shell and pocket plus. Does anyone have a solution such as settings to change or found ways to fix this? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in