Deleting messages off my smartphone and off server too - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2007-07-06, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Deleting messages off my smartphone and off server too

I just got a smartphone for the first time this week so please excuse the newbie type question...

I use IMAP for my email at work and home. I have IMAP4 set it up on my HTC P4000 and it works well but I'd like to know how to delete messages off my server from the phone.

When I delete an email on my device, even if I hit send and receive again to update things, it doesn't delete it off my server. It seems to keep a record of what I have deleted and doesn't pull that file from the server again (which is great) but how do I actually take it off the server so that when I go back to my home or office computer, I don't have to redelete all those files again?

The empty deleted folder command, which I thought would be like purge deleted mail in Outlook, just gets rid of the list of deleted emails and the device downloads them all again off the server. I can see the usefulness of that feature but there must be some way to delete things off the server from the phone.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2007-07-06, 03:56 PM

You never did mention the brand of phone you have? I believe there is a setting on most servers and devices, to either delete from both server and device, or just delete from device and keep a copy on the server
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2007-07-06, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksparrow View Post
You never did mention the brand of phone you have? I believe there is a setting on most servers and devices, to either delete from both server and device, or just delete from device and keep a copy on the server
The HTC P4000 I mentioned above is my brand of phone. It is on the Telus network, if that is what you mean.

I assume it must be a device related issue since I don't have this issue come up when I use my home computer, laptops or work computer.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-07-20, 08:48 PM

Lightbulb

From the message inbox screen do:
  • MENU
  • TOOLS
  • OPTIONS
  • Select your account
  • Select "Edit Account Setup"
  • NEXT(1)
  • NEXT(2)
  • NEXT(3)
  • NEXT(4)
  • NEXT(5)
  • Select "Advanced Settings"
  • Select "Delete them off the server" under "When deleting messages"
  • DONE

CAVU
92-inch Infocus Theatre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in