Anyone activating iPhone in US and roaming? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 2007-07-01, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Anyone activating iPhone in US and roaming?

Just wondering if any of the absolute die hard apple fans will be activating the iphone with AT&T and roaming. I was in an AT&T store across the border, and apparently the US credit card and mailing address I have is enough to get the phone operational, but the cost of roaming i wouldn't be doing a lot of chatting.

the other thing is i have used buttonless phones in the past, (jornada 928 and a sony ericsson p900) and i havent enjoyed the experience. There is something very different about the feel of an actual button vs the onscreen experience, that doesn't lend itself as well to dialing while you are walking, or driving (i know you shouldn't do this!) or in bright sunlight. not to mention when your fingers are dirty and you dont want marks all over your phones screen.

well i guess until rogers get their act together, or someone figures out how to unlock the phone we wont have to worry anyway. i heard the problem isn't unlocking the device per se, the problem is the activation steps required thru itunes, before any of the features on the phone work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 2007-07-01, 10:08 PM

Various bit of 411 I have garnered:
- the SIM card is either non-removable and/or the phone is hard-programmed to accept only an AT&T SIM Card at this time. Attempting to use the phone with another carriers SIM card just isn't on at this time.
- the delay is probably less with Rogers than with Apple (why wouldn't Rogers want to have another HOT phone in its line-up?) Apparently, Apple is dictating rather stringent conditions to any wireless company that wants to carry the iPhone. AT&T's plan with unlimited browsing/data transfer may be one of the conditions that carriers balk at, but an iPhone is just another cell phone without the browsing and email. Carriers might be naturally reluctant to agreeing to allow another company to dictate its rate plans.
- there are rumours an announcement of a 3G iPhone for Europe is imminent but we'll have to see what conditions Apple can dictate in the notoriously regulated EEC market.
- Apple could just be holding off to build pent-up demand (how we want what we cannot have) while it builds inventory to supply a larger market. How many and how fast can those Chinese factories turn out iPhones?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in