Samsung SPH-m610 introduced in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 2007-03-20, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Samsung SPH-m610 introduced in Canada

Bell Mobility has announced the availability of Samsung's SPH-m610 multimedia mobile phone, which the company describes as the thinnest phone available
in North America.

The Samsung's m610 features a 5.6 cm TFT display with 240 x 320 resolution, Expandable memory Micro SD Slot that holds up to 2 GB of memory, 2 megapixel camera with zoom lens, MP3 player, video camcorder, Bluetooth wireless technology capabilities and you can even make phone calls with it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 2007-03-20, 08:44 PM

Sounds like the new one rogers has except ours is 3G...I will try to confirm and post tomorrow.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 2007-03-20, 10:20 PM
Veteran

Drewber, No need to Confirm, I will verify it for you right now! The one Rogers has is the Samsung SGH-A706 3G Handset. Roger's just listed it on Sales Central yesterday. It's the first 3G phone from Rogers with HSDPA High speed Data Packet Access. Tests conducted at the Howard Forums Toronto meet last month have confirmed that its faster than EVDO handsets currently offered by Bellus (Telus and Bell), I downloaded a 2MB file in under 10 seconds on my phone, did a video call on the hsdpa network, even worked while on EDGE. It comes with a 512 MB memory card made by SanDisk, which can support up to a confirmed 1GB (2GB cards not tested yet but may very well work).

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 2007-03-27, 04:19 PM

MP3 to ringtone app?

Anybody know how I can get an app that lets me use MP3s as ringtones. Bell makes me go to their site to download only their ringtones for a fee. I make my own and I want to use them. I wish I had know this before I went with Bell. What a dissapointment. Can you help me find a way?
Thanks!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 2007-03-27, 06:49 PM
Veteran

You can already use mp3s as ringtones, but let me re-fraise your question.. you want to be able to use unprotected/uncopyrighted mp3 files as ringtones on a handset equipt with Digital Rights Management? Then you need to encode all your mp3 music files with the SonyEricsson DRM Packager, which can be found on the SE Home page Website
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 01:31 PM

Thanks Paolo,
Very much appreciated!
I am looking more for an application that makes a link between my memory card and my phone's memory that would allow me to move my homemade ringtones from my memory card into the phone's memory in a folder called "my downloads." That's the only folder it allows access to new ringtones. The only options from that folder is "get new ringtones" which automatically opens the phone's browser and takes me to Bell's site where you can buy their ringtones. There is no access to other sites from there. So you see my problem is not necessarily with the copy protection than with the software of the phone not allowing me access to the memory card for that specific purpose. It does allow access to uploaded photos that can be used as screensavers that are stored on the phones memory so I know it must be possible if someone has hacked it. The Bell data guy told me there was an application that would let me do it but he wasn't allowed to tell me where I could find it. I tried using the encoder you suggested. If I am not using it correctly I apologize.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 05:33 PM

Took a lot of reading and hacking around but finally got it down pat. Here is how you can use mp3's as ringtones on your m610 without connecting to the internet or paying for any proprietary music service:

1) Select an mp3 from the music files on your Mac machine. Open it up in itunes.

2) Select the file in itunes > right click on the filename and choose 'Convert Selection to AAC'

3) Locate the new file, probably saved to your itunes library under 'Unknown Album>unknown artist

4) Open this file in an MP3 editor program - a good one that you can get for free is Audion - http://www.panic.com/audion/ I used protools.

5) Use Audion (or mp3 editor of your choice) to cut the mp3 down to 30 seconds or less, also make sure the file ends up less than 500kb or it won't be usable.

6) Rename this new file something that makes sense to you, but make sure it has the extension .3g2 - instead of mp3/mp4. This is essential.

7) Open 'Blue Tooth File Exchange' on your Mac > choose 'send file' - select the file then choose your cellphone from the list of discoverable devices (if you haven't already paired your phone to your mac via bluetooth search the forums for how to do this)

7.5) You must set your exchange ftp folder to dcim and its subfolder and place the file right next to your other jpg's or it won't work.

8)Cool Once your new 3g2 files has finished uploading to your cellphone, go into 'settings>sounds>Ringer Type>Voice Calls>with caller id and when prompted choose 'my videos' (trust me, it doesn't make any sense because it's not a video, but it works Smile

9) Your newly uploaded 3g2 file should be represented by a white square with an 'X' in it > set this as the ringtone and as long as you've done everything right up to this point you should now have an MP3 ringtone!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 2007-03-30, 09:53 PM

Hi guys

go mine yesterday (samsung m610) as up for now no complain, very easy to use, sharp and clean phone.

thanks
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 2007-03-31, 07:16 PM

Hey, let me make it WAY EASIER for you to use mp3's as ringtones. Forget about all this reformat and convert. Just add the 3g2 ext to the mp3, save it to the phone in the dcim folder either in ex memory or the phone and then select it through my albums under the ringtone type.

Btw. If anyone is thinking about getting the Sandisk 2g card, you might want to try someting else. They are glitchy with this phone, haven't figured out if it is form factor or fimware yet.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 2007-04-10, 09:05 PM

help

for some reason, i cant use anything as ringtones on my samsung a706, the only ones i can use are the ones provided or if i dl some. does anybody know how to fix this or even why?
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 2007-04-11, 08:50 PM
Veteran

thats because of the copyright act. you have to download it from the rogers or fido WAP sites or third party wap sites such as muchmusic or shop sympatico or jamster etc.. as long as the files are DRM protected, they will "set as ringtone" if not, they will still play, but just not as ringtone though.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 2007-04-12, 04:15 PM

is there any type of program which could turn the ringtone into a copyrighted one, like sort of fool the phone itself so i can get the phone into playing ringtones from me.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 2007-04-12, 08:14 PM
Veteran

search for sonyericsson DRM packager. your not fooling nobody, that encodes your files into drm just like the carriers do
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 2007-04-13, 04:54 PM

i tried it a few times and it didnt work and now theres locked stuff on my phone wasiting space, do u know anyways to remove the locked stuff?
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 2007-04-26, 11:58 PM

This post is regarding Lanchor's post about making your own mp3 ringtones for the Samsung M610.

I followed your prompts exactly using the audio editor Peak Bias saving the intended file as both mp3 and AAC. I also changed the extension to .3g2

Unfortunately, the only result I get while trying to assign this file as my ringer reads, "Media File saving has Failed"

Any thoughts on why this might be happening? The files under 30 seconds and smaller than 500K.

Last edited by Roland Rhodes; 2007-04-26 at 11:59 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in