Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) Review and Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 17671

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-04-25, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) Review and Discussion

I own a Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018)

So far I think this is a GREAT phone its tabled as a Upper Midrange phone, so it's still affordable for the majority of consumers especially those who have young children, who Need a powerful phone but can not necessarily afford the top of the line models like the S8 or S9 because we have less disposable income.

I bought the phone just under a year. It came preloaded with Android 7 (Nugget) Actually, I bought 2 phones one for myself, and one for my Wife. At first I thought these were simple entry level phones because I got them for $0 dollar on a 2 year term with Bell Mobility and did not have to up my monthly fee. To my surprise, the pones are far from entry level they appear to be upper midrange, so close to that of a Galaxy S8 or S9, in fact probably the only noticeable difference I can think of is the camera resolution, and battery life. Everything else seems on point, nice big screen, no physical buttons on the front any more. Usb C charging connector, it supports 4k video recording and playback but i lowered it to HD 1080 and it has made a difference in file space, my wife left her camera at 4k and her phone already ran out of hard drive space whereas mine is still half the space still available.

My only beef was the loudspeaker was cutting out on my model, but strangely was not happening on my wifes. I was glad it was happening to mine and not my wifes cus she does not show any ambition of trying to get phones repaired like me. I made a very hard effort, for 3 months, attempted to take it to the service centre in GTA West, pending my parenting schedule with my 2 crazy kids and having to leave it there for 2+ days and dusting off my old backup phone, they replaced the speaker and guess what? to my surprise, it did NOT fix the problem after all. So now 2 months after the repair, the problem still persists and I was worried my warranty was gonna run out but at the same time I was NOT worried because I used to be a General Manager of a Mobile Repair facility and know they can only do so much and do not want to admit software anomalies because the software update was likely the fix for it and was not available yet no matter how hard or how much I compalin. Yes you heard me, The fix for my long ongoing issue is a Software Fix, but the question is When? So I still have some hope its coming soon.

So far I had 3 different Android Operating systems on this phone. It came with Nugget (7), but after 6 months or so, an update to Oreo(8) came out, We updated both of ours and it was nice. Big improvement. I thought that was it, that was the end of the line for software for this model,. but to my surprise. I checked yesterday afternoon for updates thinking nothing will be available but to my amazement and surprise, Android Pie (9) was showing its available for download and install.
It was a Gig in size roughly so thank goodness my phone's hard drive had free space unlike my wifes which is full thanks to her 4k video recording which makes the files larger size than if it was in HD 1080.

So time goes by I download the update onto my phone, let it install,. and to my surprise, Android Pie looks and works beautifully on this phone, not only that, but it also fixed my phones speaker cutting out problem. Who would have known? I was shocked that it was solved by a software update, so you mean to tell me they replaced my loud speaker in my phone for nothing? hah I guess they have to show some kind of repair being done because they DID acknowledge the problem and do not want to code it as NTF, cus it also looks bad to upper management, you guys wont understand cus you probably never worked in an after-sales type of service facility. Anyways to make a long story short, Android Pie has put some new life into this phone and I am truly happy. I just now have to take some files off my wifes phone so i can update hers soon and then i'm done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-05-07, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I must say, the switch to Android PIE has put new life into my now nearly 1 year old phone. I am so far very happy with this, the firmware has not only changed the UI, but has also fixed the dreaded loudspeaker problem which was software related not hardware. One small issue which I can live with, is when I enter a contact to my address book which is synced with Microsoft /Hotmail / MSN/outlook.com active sync so it stores my contacts on my hotmail.com contacts ie the cloud. When I enter a contacts date of birth, it no longer syncs that info to the cloud, infact it asks for it still, but it no longer asks for the year so it does not sync it cus you need all fields for it to sync, but when syncing contacts with other providers like yahoo or gmail it syncs the year too, If they do not fix this its okay i can live with it, but i hope they can add that functionality in the near future. anyways i have the most important contacts date of birth already synced to the cloud but i will write to them to see if they can add this functionality back, it had it in the android nugged and oreo but was removed from pie for some reason, who knows maybe microsoft had a say in this? but the syncing to microsoft is beautiful other than that and even the profile picture icons of my contacts are synced from outlook to my phones contact list. pretty neat eh
eljay likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-05-07, 06:31 PM
Premium Supporter

The A8s are pretty slick - and very well-priced - phones. I got mine in Aug., 2018 (BB, $240); my wife got hers in Nov., 2018 (BB, $240 w/ a $200 store credit). We've been nothing but happy with them since we got 'em. They look good (the screen is beautiful), work well (and fast) and reliably do everything we (modestly) need of them.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-08-14, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Apparently they are now saying the Samsung Galaxy A8 is the BEST phone for the majority of people and I 100% fully agree on that. I've been saying this for the last year. Not everyone can afford the latest and greatest phone model, not everyone has over a grand to drop on a phone, so that makes the A8 more attractive

check the link for more details: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-...ews-28612.html
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-08-17, 10:52 AM

One author was saying (nearly a year ago) that the A8 would be the best Samsung phone for most people. Not saying that it's not a good choice, but that's not quite the same thing.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-08-17, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Just because it was a year ago does not make it irrelevant. A phone can continue to be the best phone for beyond a year. Most people use a phone for a good Two years because that is typically how long the term is for their handset purchase or upgrade. The two year term for me using this phone has not passed yet so I am saying it still applies.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-08-18, 08:10 AM

It's not irrelevant, but it's not even close to the most up to date information that we have. This was written not only before we knew many of the other phones which would be released in 2019, but before anyone had even seen the 2019 A8! They were basing it on a spec sheet.

We now have actual reviews of the 2019 A8 and it looks like it's an average to good phone, which for the price may well make it the best Samsung phone for most people. Most people will be very happy with today's mid-range phones for two years, so devices like the A8, Pixel 3a, P30 lite, G7 Power, or even an iPhone 8 will be everything they need in a phone. But there's a ton of competition for the singular "best phone for most people" (which, for what it's worth, I don't think is a meaningful distinction because it will vary based on where you're buying it, what the prices are that day, and what your personal needs are).

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-08-19, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

That is exactly what I said man, not sure why your arguing with me, we are in both in agreement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in