The consumer version of BBM is going away - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-04-19, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

The consumer version of BBM is going away

So I heard thru the news that BlackBerry's BBM is shutting down their consumer version next month. I could see this happening. I used blackberry since 2008. I loved it. I had a business and at the time no other phone offered what blackberry had. It was great. I even started using BBM long before it became mainstream and loved it. I did see it declining in usage when people left blackberry for a android or (yikes) an iPhone. Then other messaging apps like iMessage and WhatsUpp came out and that helped to lower bbms popularity. Bbm finally came to android but it was too little too lait they could not recover. I finally logged in for the last time and permanently deleted my Blackberry ID permanently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-04-19, 11:07 AM
Veteran

The big advantage of BBM is client - server encryption. This function is now common with email running on TLS. The business version used Blackberry's own email servers, but the consumer version didn't. BB also had their own network, carried over the cell networks that kept traffic separate from the cell network's customers.

Incidentally, there's a good book about the history of RIM and Blackberry.

Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of Blackberry

I borrowed the ebook from the library.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-04-19, 06:08 PM

BlackBerry Makes its Enterprise-Grade End-to-End Encrypted Messaging Platform Available to BBM Consumers

WATERLOO, Ontario, April 18, 2019 /CNW/ -- BlackBerry Limited announced today that in light of Emtek's decision to end its service of BBM for consumers on May 31, 2019, the company is making BBM Enterprise (BBMe), its enterprise-grade end-to-end encrypted messaging platform, available for individual use. This decision was made out of BlackBerry's respect for loyal BBM users and was not a contractual obligation.

Starting today, users can download BBMe from Android's Google Play store. It will be available in the Apple App Store soon. BBMe will be available for free for the first year. After the first year, a 6-month subscription will be available for USD $2.49.

See the full press release for: Why Working Professionals Should Say, "BB(Me)."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-04-23, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

No one's gonna really switch to enterprise. Everyone cares about silly stickers and emojis and crap like that, no one I know at least, will switch to an enterprise version of the client which is ment for simple communications with business colleagues. They will complain there's no stickers and emojis and other misc crap. Plus its not a seamless transition, people will have to re-register again onto a new server. Almost 90% of the people I know who stopped using blackberry and switched to Android in the last 5-10 years have not even bothered to delete their blackberry ID account, they did not even know they were supposed to delete it when they stopped using it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-04-23, 02:38 PM

Just bought a Key2 yesterday and loaded in my old BBM credentials after being stuck with iPhones for almost 10 years. I had hundreds of contacts, none who are active...some are even dead...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2019-04-24, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yup. I remember switching to Android as my current phone platform years ago after I was fed up with blackberry and their slow pace of advancing technologies. I stopped using my BBM completely, but still kept my BBM account active mostly because I still had the BlackBerry Playbook (nick named BlackPad back in the day). It wasn't until after a few years BBM came to android finally so I gave it a try. I noticed that most people stopped using BBM completely, and others did not know you can retain your old contact list so they created a new bbm id for the android even though they had an old one they used with their blackberry so it would be impossible to find them unless they specifically told you their pin. Other than that yes it was a great messaging tool and I really enjoyed it at its peak, even before its peak I enjoyed it, but I think it was too little too late. iPhone started having iMessage and had multi device messages where bbm did not, so yeah it was behind its time. eventually all my bbm contacts stopped working

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in