Google-free? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-01-23, 07:14 PM

To answer the original question, there are some google-free Android ROMs out there, but whether they have support for your particular phone is an entirely different question. And even then, you should expect the experience of using your phone to be significantly diminished as a result, not to mention that the process of getting the OS changed (and keeping it up to date) is not trivial.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-04-14, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you for all of your advice. My apologies for not responding earlier; serious health issues in the family.
I guess I am not going to be able to be "google free" as most of the things discussed are over my head, though I have heard of Lineage OS and some other things. I shall keep reading and hopefully learning.
MM
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-04-14, 01:23 PM
Veteran

Google-free?

Phone - Use an iPhone or flip phone.

PC - Use Windows, Linux or Apple systems. Microsoft does a fair bit of tracking so Windows needs to have tracking disabled with something like Spybot Anti-beacon.

Browsers - Avoid Chrome and any other browser based on Chrome. These days that's just about all except Safari or Firefox.

Search engines - Use DuckDuckGo as the default search engine. Disable or remove Google search.

Browser add-ons - Use a cookie blocker to block cookies from Google. Use an add-on such as No-script to block scripts from Google. Use an ad blocker such as uOrigin. Use a privacy suite such as DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials. Some sites will stop working if these are used. Add exceptions for trusted sites but some Google scripts may need to be allowed.

Privacy apps - Use programs such as CCleaner, MalwareBytes AntiMalware or SuperAntiSpyware and to delete cookies and other tracking artifacts from the PC. Schedule them to run regularly or with events such as closing the browser.

Avoid "smart" TVs, and other smart devices of all types. Avoid any Google services such as Google Home and Gmail. Services and companies such as Twitter, Facebook, Amazon and similar services can be as bad or worse than Google when it comes to tracking privacy.

Last but not least, move to the wilderness and live off the land.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-04-16, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanķs, but I am not a i-fan, too much money grabbing in my experience, and I want a sd card ( and battery, but that is pretty much gone now ) that I can remove. Is Blackberry an option, or is it tangled up with Google too?
M.M.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-04-16, 11:19 AM
Veteran

Current BlackBerry devices have Android as their OS so you're back with Google.

--
Neil
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-04-16, 12:11 PM
Veteran

Blackberry is dead as a hardware company. There may be other options such as alternative O/S that can be installed on Android phones, open source phones and a Chinese phone maker developing their own O/S. None of them are really viable for most people though. I'm not an Apple fan either, mainly due to cost, but they are the only real option I am aware of for non-Google smartphones. A used iPhone might be a cheaper option. If you don't need a smartphone, flip phones are still available from a few vendors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in