So my Samsung phone is confirmed to have an FM Radio Chip inside. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-07-27, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

So my Samsung phone is confirmed to have an FM Radio Chip inside.

So back in the day a lot of smart phones had the FM Radio App, I remember this and used it extensively. Fast forward to my previous phone, an LG Android, it did not have the FM chip, that was okay by me as I was very busy for that time in my life and was just work, eat, sleep, fast forward to now I bought a samsung android this time and it does not have the fm radio app, but I tried this app on the app store called NextRadio, it detected my FM chip and it will play FM (obviously you need headphones connected to act as the antenna) however my issue is with the NextRadio app, its a streaming app primarily but has fm radio built in but its obscure and not easy to access. and its not an app that is designed very well, plus no one else makes an app that accesses the FM chip, in the words of mayor Mel Lastman of North York, NOOOOOO BOOOOODY, which is sad cus its a nice feature, not even samsung offers the radio app for downlod on their own app store your forced to use this ugly app. now if i find an apk from a previous model samsung galaxy i might side load it, but the problem is you will never get the proper app updates and all that stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-07-27, 12:38 PM

I just use iHeart Radio - works pretty good. Doesn't use much data bandwidth because it's just audio.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-07-27, 12:47 PM
Veteran

I am surprised the FM tuner works at all. When I listen to local FM, I use streaming over wifi most of the time. The car radio is the main exception.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-07-27, 01:44 PM
Veteran

Sadly even an older APK doesn't work - I've tried with quite a few (and even other manufacturer FM Radio APKs).

I do agree about how cumbersome Nextradio is for those who don't want to stream music. Would be nice if they just had an app that offered the basic tuner mode and that's it.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-07-27, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I did not buy a cell phone to stream music all day like these damn millenials who are glued to their ear phones. I like to listen occasionally and once in a while, not while driving cus my car has an am/fm/mp3 radio already. I did stay in the hospital a few times for surgeries and health related issues and during these times i loved having the FM radio because It is a nice have to listen to occasional music or radio while your recovering in a hospital bed, not everyone wants to stream music or has huge data plans on their mobile phone bill. Yes I will keep looking out for a nice FM player app.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-07-27, 04:00 PM

My LG K4 2017 Cell Phone has a awesome radio in it it great for when I go fishing and so on.

lots of cell phone have it but they are not activated in the Americas so they can sell more bandwidth and make more cash.
But My Rogers LG K4 has the radio activated.

if you look online you can find ways to activate the Radio on your cell phone if it's so equipped and was deactivated.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-07-27, 05:21 PM
Veteran

You'all might find my fol. post re FM RADIO CHIP's [actually yet another Signal Processor FM App] and MINIATURIZED FM ANTENNAS to be of interest:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...l#post53332554

And even if your phone doesn't HAVE an FM Radio capability....or doesn't have RF connectivity of it's Tuner to the Earbud Port, you can always use Sony-Erickson MW600 Wireless Mic/Earbuds to Call/Answer/Listen-to-Music via the Phone....AND it includes a small FM [Standalone] Radio as part of the Earbuds:
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-1264-558.../dp/B008NA985C

Antenna Simulations, Overload Calculations, etc: http://imageevent.com/holl_ands

Last edited by holl_ands; 2018-07-27 at 05:54 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-07-28, 09:16 AM
Veteran

dunno about something as obscure as an fm radio dongle for a phone but...
generally I find amazon is the worst place to buy things from.
They hardly make anything, thus have mined everyone else's prices and upped the price as far as they can relative to other sellers.

Their cloud services are outrageous too IMO.

Amazon is a last resort for everything here these days.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-07-28, 10:32 AM

What you relate is true and it sure has made Amazon a multi billion dollar business as well as Jeff Bezos a multi billionaire.

Can't fault that kind of business plan!

OTA, CM4221HD, 3410 amp, 4 way split, HW-150 PVR.
FTA, Openbox S9, 33” dish, PLL LNBF. Stab 90HH.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-07-28, 01:00 PM
Veteran

Only if you ignore the low wages and poor working conditions of their contractors Part of those $billions in profit are being made at the expense of their workers. Companies like this are sending society back to the 19th century as far as workers are concerned. It's one thing to build a successful company by inventing new technologies or more efficient ways of doing business. It's another to do it by paying poverty level wages. Then there are the tax avoidance schemes that are creating financial difficulties for many countries. Part of those $billions in profit are coming out of the pockets of taxpayers in the countries where they operate.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-08-01, 01:40 PM
Rookie

Hello - this is my first post under this name but I've been here for a few years.

I have an LG with Next radio. I selected a few local stations as favorites and that's what I see when I open the app. In settings I chose to seek the next favorite in the widget and then put the widget on the screen.
There are also controls in the pulldown to change stations.

What I don't like is it can't be in airplane mode and there are ads running.

Radio is important in an outage when there's no cell or wifi so I wonder if this would still work under those circumstances. Nevermind - I turned off data on a data only plan and it still works and without ads.

So I can tolerate the app.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-08-01, 03:29 PM
Veteran

Yeah, it won't work in airplane mode because it's a radio module that needs to be active (often tied to the Bluetooth chip if I'm not mistaken).

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in