iPhone - Old man needs help!! [Mac user] - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-07-21, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Location: Kingston, ON - Bell ES 9241, Onkyo TX808, Oppo93, AppleTV3, Vizio 55", PSB & Yamaha speakers for 7:1
iPhone - Old man needs help!! [Mac user]

"I'm not dead yet!", "Get in, ya will be soon"!

I will be travelling to Europe in the fall and I will have the facility of an iPhone 6s w/ iOS 11+ [I'm buying a used one] I will have access to most of my itinerary from Expedia using the browser but to get it I will have to type in the URL. Is it possible for me to 'pre-load' those URLs in another text program [Notes] and copy/paste them into phone browser or better yet just tap the URLs to load the page?

I've been putting various bits of info into 'Notes' on my Mac which sends them auto-magically to iCloud and I can view them on my old iPhone 4s. 'Notes' is what I would use for the above, if possible. [The 4s is so slow its hard to tell if it's working or the wi-fi is just slow!!]

Although I've travelled the world w/o any phone for most of my life [paper maps - love'em!] the print-outs of documents needed are not something I want to carry on me unless I have to. [of course, I will have these paper copies with me, just not daily]

Any other advice by seasoned 'smart phone' travellers would also be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-07-21, 10:06 PM
Veteran

As with any browser, you should be able to save bookmarks. I don't know about iPhones, but on my Android phone, I can have my desktop bookmarks synced with the phone.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-07-21, 10:28 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Rather than carrying paper, I used to always take screenshots of the various maps I needed using my iPad (you can do this with the iPhone as well). I typically did this while connected to WiFi in the city before the city I was going to next. This also "preloaded" the maps into the iPad/iPhone so I could see my location using the GPS in the device, not using any data (I have data turned off for my iPhone saving huge $).

As mentioned above, you can certainly do all your searches here and bookmark all the URLs in the phone's browser.

Also, you can transfer all the bookmarks from computer to phone... See my discussions in the following thread re bookmarks and contacts:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/136...ml#post3055035

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-07-21, 11:52 PM
Veteran

Why not use the xpedia app?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-07-22, 11:47 AM
Veteran

I see several solutions.
1. Save web pages in a browser for offline use.
2. Alternately, save screen shots.
3. Use LastPass to save site or web page addresses, account information, passwords and form data. It also works with popular apps. If the phone has a fingerprint reader, LastPass can use that for easy login. The basic app is free. Information can be shared between devices (by default using the same account) and other people (selectively.)
4.Many phone browsers have a start page for frequently used sites and web pages. Just save needed web pages to the start page (or bookmarks.)
5. Some apps, such as Google Maps, have the ability to download country or regional data to the phone for offline use. See if the Expedia app has that capability. It may also be able to save itinerary data for offline use.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-07-22, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Location: Kingston, ON - Bell ES 9241, Onkyo TX808, Oppo93, AppleTV3, Vizio 55", PSB & Yamaha speakers for 7:1
Thanks to all.

Mr 57. are you saying that if I use Apple or Google maps and GPS I use/pay for data, but if I preload a map screenshot and use GPS I don't? GPS is in 'real-time' the screen shot is a static image. I don't understand.

As for 'bookmarks', isn't that the same thing as a saved URL?

An Expedia app! What a concept! Thank you so much. I'm sure the CSR told me they don't have an app, but it was an Expedia for TD CSR and they might not speak to each other, although I doubt it. This may be the answer to my life's dream or at least aid my travelling.

Once I get my 6s I will try these out. Thanks again to all.

Not being able to post the above I went looking on the web.

The Expedia app doesn't work with Expedia for TD!!

All my confirmation emails are as good as the web page for tickets/access etc. I just have to fwd them to iPhone 'Mail'.

ExDilbert, thanks for your ideas, too.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-07-22, 12:06 PM
Veteran

I have a 6S and email to myself any documents or links I may need. You then need to read the emails and attachments to make sure they're downloaded to your device.

I also use maps.me for getting around....I've used the app in Europe for driving, public transportation and hiking/walking. You preload any maps you may need before you go, then use the maps and your GPS for getting around. No data required.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-07-22, 12:41 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExRobotGuy View Post
Mr 57. are you saying that if I use Apple or Google maps and GPS I use/pay for data, but if I preload a map screenshot and use GPS I don't? GPS is in 'real-time' the screen shot is a static image. I don't understand.

As for 'bookmarks', isn't that the same thing as a saved URL?
1. If you use Apple Maps or Google Maps while connected to data, you will be paying for data.

2. A screenshot is simply like looking at a piece of paper, but you don't need paper. It's a separate item from above or below.

3. By having data turned off, but looking at Google maps for your destination the day before, the map is usually still available for you to see where you are via the GPS function of the phone or iPad, however, it will not give you directions, etc like it would when connected to data. I usually find this adequate for my needs and saves me $ (data).

4. I suppose you could call a saved URL a bookmark, although a saved url could be saved in any app and not necessarily be a bookmark.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-07-22, 02:57 PM
Veteran

I believe Google map data can be downloaded manually. I've done it for Ontario so it should work elsewhere. If you know the countries you will be visiting, it should be possible to download the maps for those countries using wifi, storage permitting, and no data will be used for viewing those maps. It might use data for planning trips and other tasks but it should be minimal.

Similarly, saving web pages for offline use will not use any data for viewing that saved page. Following links to other pages may download data.

Unless you have a large data plan, it's probably best to leave data off until you need it. If relying on public wifi, it would be a good idea to use an encrypted proxy service to prevent others from stealing passwords and other data. The good news is that there are no roaming fees in EU countries. Any EU wireless provider should be good for the entire region.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-07-23, 10:23 AM

Another European travel tip - consider buying a local prepaid SIM for use over there. Using a North American SIM could prove expensive by comparison.
Stop off at the first retail store you see after arriving and they should be able to help you install it. Your bookmarks and address book should stay on the phone and thus be available.
Flip the SIM back on your return home.

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-07-23, 11:34 AM
Veteran

This is a definite must do. Canadian carriers have ridiculous roaming fees for overseas countries. I've heard of people getting bills in the thousands of dollars on their return home. I'd recommend using a prepaid plan to keep costs in check. If using a European carrier SIM is not possible, consider buying a package of prepaid roaming time and data. It's still expensive but will help keep costs down.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-07-23, 02:25 PM
Veteran

Hey, you do not have to wait until you arrive in Europe to buy the sim card. There are plenty of legit ways to buy a traveling or roaming sim card from here within Canada.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-07-24, 01:37 PM

ExRobotGuy: Before you go, you want to check whether your phone is locked to your carrier or is unlocked. Ask the provider, or the person who gave you the phone. Unlocking should be done before you go, so you can use almost any carrier's sim card no matter.
Se thread on unlocking for more info.

Former Rogers VIP, now Bell Fibe, Sony KDL40W3000, BDPS350, Philips Streamium NP2500 (2). DS209 NAS, Playbook
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-07-24, 02:42 PM

Frankfurt airport, which I assume has similar vending machines to other airports in Europe, have pay as you go Simcards for 10 euros - which come with several hours of long distance talk time to Canada included (time depends on the carrier you buy - but the lowest I've bought is 2 hours for that price).

I've never shopped around, you can probably save some cash by buying them outside the airport and do some research ahead of time on the best carriers/rates where you are going.

Bring the little tool that came with your iphone to change the card right at the vending machine as the kiosks that sell the same cards charge a few euro installation fee.

Like I said earlier, I've never shopped around - just bought whatever at an airport vending machine/kiosk and I'm sure better deals can be had if you aren't in a hurry or have time to go to a convenience store/gas station with other options.

Your phone will work the same as if you had it on in Canada - just with a local number and very cheap rates.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2018-07-25, 08:19 AM

For navigation, you could use an offline mapping app such as Here WeGo, which downloads maps of the entire continent when you install, so they can be used without a data connection. I use it on Android - I assume the same capability exists in its ios form. I prefer it to Google Maps for car navigation.

For EU mobile data plans, there's a UK company called GiffGaff that I've used that has very reasonable rates (such as C$18 a month for 3 GB and unlimited text & calling) and will mail you a SIM to Canada for free. Their plans are valid throughout the EU.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in