How to handle different variations of USB Connectors (mini, micro, type C) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-07-19, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

How to handle different variations of USB Connectors (mini, micro, type C)

How to handle different variations of USB Connectors (mini, micro, type C)

Since I got my new phone last month, I have been very happy that it has the reversable USB Type C connector on it, but I still have a lot of devices in my house which still utilize the popular Micro USB Connector. I know that eventually over time, as more new devices are being sold, They will most likely be manufacturered with a USB Type C connector on it.

My current question is how do you currently handle having each of your devices having different standards? So for example, my cell phone uses usb-c, my tablet uses micro usb, I have a video recorder which uses mini usb?
I do not like to carry multiple variations of car chargers in my car, house, office, bedroom.

I know they make cables with multiple ends on them, they also make adaptors so you can go from usb-c to micro usb, what would you do?

I am thinking about keeping my usb-c cable and quick charge plug, but going out and buying the usb c to micro adaptor for the end, that way I should have very little issues using it with all my devices. Ive also seen the adaptors which have a mini string on them you can tie around the end of the cable which makes it less likely to loose or misplace them which always seems to happen to me.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-07-19, 08:45 PM
Veteran

1) You can get micro - C adapters.
2) You can replace the cables on most chargers.

Here I have C for phone and tablet, micro for a couple of older devices, mini for Kobo reader, which I don't use any more & Garmin GPS and Lightning for my work iPhone. I also have one device that has a USB A connector to barrel connector.

Do what I did and order some cables and adapters from Amazon. Maybe buy some other things at the same time, to save on shipping. I also bought a tablet case from them.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-07-20, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

you see, i would rather have one Charging plug and usb cable lying around instead of 10. I have decided to use usb type c as my main cable and put an adapter on the end when trying to use a device with an older connection. usb type c supports quick charging, and has the proper circuitry in it to do so, so if i were to use a micro usb c able and put a type c adapter on it, im not so sure the quick charging will be recognized because it is circuitry built into the cable which will make it work

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-07-20, 09:33 AM

Then buy everything all new in USB C your problem is fixed.

or a universal charger with adapters.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-07-20, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

That would be a great idea. But I'm not rich im poor, so unless you can give me some $$$ to buy a new tablet, handheld video recorder, alexa, chromecast, etc. some of the stuff is not even made in usb-c yet, so thats a great suggestion but you should wait 3 or 4 years to say it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-07-20, 12:26 PM
Veteran

How about something like this Baseus Rapid Series 3-IN-1 cable. They are available from many online sources.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-07-21, 07:17 AM
Veteran

Quote:
usb type c supports quick charging
One thing to bear in mind is that fast charging, like fast discharging, is harder on the battery and will cause it to fail sooner. I have fast chargers available, but rarely use them. I often plug my tablet into my computer, which provides a slow charge.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2018-07-21, 10:00 AM
Veteran

I agree. Fast charging will shorten battery like and it increases the chance of fire or explosion. It's better to increase charging options, such as buying an extra charger, portable charger or car charger made for the device than to use a fast charger. An extra long cable can be utilized to charge the device while using it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in