What is your favourite Android app for Video Calling? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-07-18, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

What is your favourite Android app for Video Calling?

There are so many apps for video calling, some being exclusive to one brand of phone: Apple's Face Time (exclusive to iPhone/iPod/iPad) which is NOT good because some of your friend and family might not be rich and can not afford apple and may have an android or Windows Phone device.

I would like to know of the many apps, which one is your favourite, and why?

Me: 1. I used to use Skype, but I noticed not everyone has or wants a skype account now a days, and the ones that do, tend to forget their password or have an account but do not have the app installed on their phone its low on their list of priorities but it works great when I had it. But I am finding the app is not keeping up with the competition and is seriously lacking, just the other day I made a call to a friend on skype, and it told me I need to put money on my skype account to make this call? wtf? its always been free to call other peoples skypes, I thought money was to call landlines? guess they're getting greedy. one pro about skype is cross platform, plus i found a skype lite app on the google app store looks very good they got rid of all those bots and crap.

2. Whatsapp. I was using WhatsApp but I find that it was not so popular, people used it more to share funny images all day long in group chats and rarely used video calling to talk. I did chat a few times on whats app but noticed people who i tried to call would not work because they deleted the app but forgot delete their account and did not tell anyone. one pro about whatsapp is cross platform

3. Google Duo. I'm new to google duo but noticed its getting pre-installed on my android, my wifes android, my tablet, and some of my friends and family members phones. Plus they make not just an android version but an iphone version too for cross platform capability so u can call iphone people with google duo. I am willing to give it a try but I do not want to have so many useless apps on my phone I want to stick to having just one or two so let's see.

4. Facebook. - Since im NOT on facebook and highly dispise it, I have decided to stay far away because I do not agree with their handling of my private information. I also heard not many people used it and you needed another app to use it.

5. Carrier based video calling - my androd has the default carrier video calling but the problem is if i call my cousin in new york it is a long distance call since the audio portion of the call goes thru the carriers LD network, which is one disadvantage of using the carriers video calling platform.

So to sumarise it, im going to install google duo on my parents tablet and make video calling to them with google duo from now on and stop using skype so i can uninstall it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-07-18, 03:08 PM
Veteran

Facebook messenger because everyone I know is on Facebook. Those rare friends that don't have Facebook also don't use the world wide web to much and use a landline I call them at home or on their mobile phone if it's turned on

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-07-18, 03:11 PM
Veteran

Skype sucked when we used it seemed the grand parents where on dial up or couldn't get it working correctly.. Many forgot passwords.. Its a stand alone product so I get that it's not being used by many..

I use hangouts with my kids because they don't Facebook..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-07-19, 02:41 AM
Veteran

I've generally been happy with Google Duo. It had some issues at launch, but it's gotten quite a bit better in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-07-19, 06:46 AM

I looked at Duo recently. It can only be used on a device with a phone number, so can't be used on a tablet or laptop. Bizarre but true!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-07-19, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I don't think that is true, when I logged on my tablet I was able to download it and already was showing my mobile number based off what was stored to my google account. I have yet to test making and receiving a call from my tablet but i bet any money it should work, i've even read articles and news releases about it working on tablets
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-07-19, 02:04 PM

My statement was in part based on the following quote which I found here

"A very frustrating part of using video-calling apps such as Google Duo or WhatsApp is that you need a phone number to get them up and running. When installing them on a smartphone or a phablet, that is not a problem but becomes one on most tablets."

That was written last December, so things may have changed since. What does seem to be available is the ability to use it on a tablet if you have already installed it on a phone.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-07-19, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yes since it works based on an actual mobile number then yes I can see the requirement to have a mobile phone tied to your google account before you can operate it on your tablet. Either way, Apple has gotten away with having this feature for years with face time and iMessage. I remember seeing my wifes tablet receiving all kinds of imessages and facetime calls because it was tied to her apple icloud apple id account
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2018-07-20, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

installed it and set it up on my tablet, confirmed it works even tho the tablet is wifi only. it grabs the number from my google account, so its good, confirmed video quality is great
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-03-03, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I find that as more android phones are being sold they are coming pre-installed with google duo, but its not bloatware it *can* be uninstalled. I've owned this phone for less than a year and I have noticed during that time that as my friends have gotten new phones which had google duo pre-installed, or they install it on their phone, it notifies everyone who has that contact on their list, and I have seen notifications that a good 15 to 20 friends and family members have joined google duo. So that is a good chunk of people getting google dup and it is helping google increase its market share to compete against apps like facetime and the aging and dying Skype. Yes we all used to use skype back in the day but its dying and its gotten to complicated having to have to create an account and add the user to your contact list vs google which simply syncs with your existing hotmail or google or yahoo contact lists.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2019-03-03, 03:28 PM
Premium Supporter

I came across Google Duo recently and I'm a big fan. It's super easy to set up and use and the A/V quality is very good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in