How many of you are using VoLTE - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-06-19, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

How many of you are using VoLTE

How many of you are using VoLTE?

on my last phone when I was in an area where there is an LTE only antenna, I would connect and data would work great but voice calls would not work thru the tower I was connected to, and would connect to a further away tower causing audio quality to not be so great, but my new handset has VoLTE capabilities and more towers around me are LTE enabled and now when I make audio calls I can tell I'm connected to the closer LTE site and its sending my voice call thru that tower and the quality is amazing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-06-19, 06:08 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I am using VoLTE and Wifi calling. VoLTE supports better CODECs on calls to othe VoLTE phones. With Wifi calling, I finally have reliable cell service in my home.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-06-21, 02:59 PM

I'm with Bell, and have only had success establishing VoLTE calls to Bell, Telus, and SaskTel users. It hasn't worked for calls to Rogers users. Anyone else experience a similar issue? I suppose it's possible that none of the Rogers customers that I've spoke with have a VoLTE-enabled phone, but not likely.

The quality of VoLTE calls is great, compared to typical cell calls. Not landline great, but close.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR

Last edited by Jase88; 2018-06-22 at 09:50 AM.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-06-21, 03:18 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I seem to recall reading that VoLTE was supposed to work between the Canadian providers, but I could be wrong on that. Also, VoLTE supports "HD Voice", which should be much better than land line. However, that depends on both phones supporting the appropriate CODEC.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-06-21, 04:36 PM
Veteran

Rogers, Bell and Telus are all supposed to support VoLTE and be fully interoperable. That could have changed. Some US VoLTE providers only support calls between users on their own network
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-06-21, 05:19 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Given the trend to VoIP, hopefully we'll have VoLTE/VoIP calls everywhere, including HD Voice.
Jase88 likes this.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-06-22, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I can confirm VoLTE works cross carrier. I made a call to my friend who is on a different cellular carrier than me, I looked at the screen of the phone and saw the HD logo. I did read that the HD logo is the wideband audio codec used for volte calls. pretty impressive.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-06-22, 03:32 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Of course, you may also want to enable WiFi calling. It really helps if you have a poor cell signal.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-06-23, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I would love to use Wi-Fi calling however my current carrier is slow to enable it. My handset is fairly new so I expect it to be enabled very soon.

I miss that feature. I used it extensively on my hunnymoon back when blackberries were still a thing. I loved it because I made calls back to Canada for free with Wi-Fi calling.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-07-30, 09:25 AM

Bell Mobility recently increased the model of phones capable of using WiFi calling/texting. On my Samsung S8, I found settings to enable WiFi calling in the phone app.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-07-31, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I already have the VoLTE feature, yup. I am very confident the Galaxy A8 (its similar to the S8, but has slightly less features and is a lot more affordable for someone like me middle class, married, has 2 kids, and does not have a lot of disposable income) will get the wi-fi calling feature too. Us A8 users were promised an update to Android Oreo, but its taking a long time, im hoping theyre putting multiple bug fixes, wifi calling, oreo and fixing the speaker cutting out issue and rolling them into one huge update and going to deploy it soon
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-07-31, 03:56 PM

VoLTE and WiFi calling are different animals...similar but different, and configured separately on your phone. In my experience, VoLTE calls sound much better than WiFi calls. WiFi doesn't appear to use the same codecs as VoLTE.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-07-31, 04:47 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Actually, they're related. The only difference is that with WiFi calling, you're using WiFi to connect. It also uses exactly the same protocol as VoLTE. So, there's no difference in call quality, as it's exactly the same connection, beyond using WiFi & Internet to reach the cell network. You're thinking of other phone apps, such as Skype etc., which may or may not use standard CODECs. There is also seamless transition when moving between the cell and WiFi networks. That doesn't happen if VoLTE isn't enabled. The only thing different about configuring them is just turning them on or off. There are settings for both WiFi calling and VoLTE to do that.

Rogers has a couple of web pages that describe both.

VoLTE and WiFi calling use SIP, encrypted with IPSec and encapsulated in UDP, which is in turn carried over IP. It makes no difference whether that IP is carried over the cell network or WiFi. WiFi calling also uses the same phone number, whether over WiFi or cell networks. Other apps, such as Skype, use a different phone number.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-07-31, 04:52 PM

I'm describing my experiences with Bell calling, specifically. Not third party telephony apps. My experience has been that VoLTE calls sound better between the same phones than a WiFi call connection between both.

Also, Bell indicates on their website that WiFi calls won't hand off to the cellular network or vice versa.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-07-31, 05:24 PM
Veteran

Here are the Rogers pages on WiFi Calling

Quote:
In most cases, when you move between Wi-Fi Calling and the mobile network, your call will drop. To ensure your call does not drop, you should remain in your Wi-Fi or mobile network’s range for the duration of the call. However, if you have an Apple VoLTE-enabled device or an Android VoLTE-enabled device with the Wi-Fi Calling-preferred setting on and you are moving between Wi-Fi Calling and our LTE network, your call should not drop. Visit rogers.com/coverage to see where you are covered by our mobile network.

And VoLTE

I use WiFi calling at home and it works very well. I finally have a reliable cell phone in my condo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in