How many of you are using VoLTE - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-08-02, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the details, @JamesK . You are right: WiFi calling does use the same codecs, including the HD voice one, as VoLTE. HD voice wasn't working for several days over WiFi calling...not sure why.

I should test call handoffs between LTE and Wifi. So far I haven't had the need, as my employer has great Wifi coverage throughout and I don't usually leave home during a phone call.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-08-02, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

On New Smart phones Wi-Fi Calling and Volte are in pairity with one another, however back in the day, wi-fi calling was present and we were still using 2G networks like GSM which did not have higher quality audio codecs as far as im aware, but yeah not to drag this off topic, I do like the extra coverage VoLTE has given me, and I do notice that as more of my friends get newer cellphones I tend to see the HD Audio indicator a lot more frequently now on outgoing calls.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-08-13, 03:53 PM
Veteran

Apparently, VoLTE is now coming to Freedom.

Freedom Mobile Launches VoLTE on Select Smartphones

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-08-14, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

So I overheard someone complaining why they cant make calls in "this part of the city" but their wife or spouse" can, and they have the same cell phone network and was wondering why the heck does one phone make calls while the other cant. SO I had a nice long chat with this couple over a cup of coffee and explained that people wanted FASTER data speeds so the big 4 networks put up all these LTE powered cell sites through out the city. Older phones with LTE can connect and use the sites for Data services, but for voice calls, the calls goes thru the regular non LTE sites. Newer phones have VoLTE enabled mean they can not only use data on those LTE sites, but they can make VOice calls, hence the VoLTE means Voice over LTE. The couple fully understood what I explained and was furyous why no body at the Bell or Rogers store explained this to them. I said they are probably the Type 2 or 3 employee who just work there for a pay check and are not passionate like me about how the technology works.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-08-14, 11:06 AM
Veteran

^^^^
I hope you also mentioned that VoLTE also allows them to use WiFi, to ensure a good connection at home.

As for the support people, some problems are beyond their training & ability. This is why I will escalate to 2nd level when needed. With all my experience and knowledge in IT and telecom, I often find I know more that the 1st level support and sometimes even 2nd level. Of course, store clerks are not allowed to know what they're talking about.

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-08-29, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

So I finally got the long awaited Oreo update on my phone and what do u know, the Wifi-calling feature finally got added, so yeah not everyone who has volte has wi-fi calling but they do need volte to use wi-fi calling, atleast in today's generation of phones. I was a beta tester for wi-fi calling back in the day when the networks were merely gsm based and there was no VoLTE and the wi-fi calling worked great, was able to connect to a open wifi in the dominican republic and was making calls and text back to Toronto as if I was still located there and was not charged for them even though I was physically present in another country. hah what do u know, it was awesome then, and its still awesome now.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-08-30, 06:57 AM
Veteran

While you don't need VoLTE for WiFi calling, it does provide seamless transfer between the two. It also provides for better call quality on some calls. So, if it's available, why not use it?

Also, every smart phone I've had, going back to my Google Nexus 1, supported VoIP without adding a 3rd party app. I currently have a VoIP app (Fongo, going back to when it was called Dell Voice).

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-08-30, 08:56 AM

Bell indicates that they've geo-locked WiFi calling to Canada only. I'm sure the other carriers offering Wifi calling have done the same. Though I too use the Fongo service and that service likely works for calls back to Canada from abroad.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-08-30, 11:17 AM
Veteran

That's the problem with carrier VoIP. They still charge full price for minutes, roaming and long distance even though their wireless infrastructure is not being used or a lower cost alternative like VoLTE is. Then they start playing games like disabling wifi calling outside Canada in order to gouge their customers with inflated roaming and LD fees. I use a third party VoIP app as much as possible and pay a fraction of what a contract plan with unlimited minutes, roaming, LD and texting would cost. $0.00 per minute or text anywhere in the world is hard to beat.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-08-30, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
Bell indicates that they've geo-locked WiFi calling to Canada only. I'm sure the other carriers offering Wifi calling have done the same. Though I too use the Fongo service and that service likely works for calls back to Canada from abroad.
That's the thing, Rogers also supposedly geo-locked their Wi-Fi calling feature years ago when I was using it, but It requires them to know the country of the specific IP address and block it if it matches their list. Geo-tagging does have its flaws not every address lookup will be accurate and will slip thru the cracks
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-09-04, 05:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Apparently, VoLTE is now coming to Freedom.

Here are smartphones that support VoLTE with Freedom Mobile

I wonder why they, and other carriers, have to roll it out for the various phones. I thought VoLTE was supposed to be a standard.

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-09-04, 05:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Then they start playing games like disabling wifi calling outside Canada in order to gouge their customers with inflated roaming and LD fees.
Does this perhaps have something to do with roaming agreements? Or regulatory issues? There have long been regulations about who is allowed to offer telecom services here and I expect elsewhere.

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 2018-09-04, 07:16 PM
Veteran

I think it's more about greed for providing any and all extra services and preventing consumers from using new technology to avoid paying traditionally high fees. We saw that with wired services and now it's happening with wireless. Roaming fees were abolished in Europe. Roaming with VoLTE costs providers almost nothing. It's like charging long distance with VoIP. It costs the provider next to nothing so a lot of companies just don't do it and offer free long distance or roaming as a feature. The large wireless providers have reciprocal agreements for using each others towers so it's not like that's a huge cost either. A lot of wireless providers offer services using other companies towers, often at a discount. Charging roaming and LD for calls made over wifi is gouging at its worst. It's bad enough they charge anything at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in