Landscape vs. Portrait cell phone videos? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-01-24, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Landscape vs. Portrait cell phone videos?

So one of my biggest beefs is people who record cell phone video in portrait mode vs landscape mode.

Landscape mode is the industry standard for watching movies on your TV, but portrait mode is this new phenomenon that all these young hipsters are doing now a days. The videos look great when they play it back on their phone but look terrible when you play it back on a tv or when the local news airs the video clip for some kind of story. terrible. black bars every where.

It also does not help that all these young hipsters are using these apps like instagraham and chat snap which influence them to take video in the portrait mode and share it with their friends/feeds/ or whoever. I swear this garbage has to stop.

My wife always takes videos of our kids in portrait mode and I tell her to stop, and turn the phone sideways, and record, but she says no cus her so called "insta story's " or what ever that garbage is called accepts video only in portrait mode, i told her record it in landscape and I can crop it later for her silly app. but she insists not to.

now when the kids get older and I am going to show them a DVD video of all the clips of them growing up, they will definately know which one mom took and which one dad took. when will this stop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-01-24, 12:09 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I also find that annoying. A while ago, on The Weather Network, they were telling viewers to use landscape. Also, when used on TV like that, there will be lost resolution, as some will be discarded to make a vertical picture fit in the horizontal screen. How much loss? Well, some phones now support 4K video. That means 3840 lines reduced to at best 1080. Meanwhile, the sides of the image contain only filler.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-01-24, 12:37 PM

It all depends what platform you are viewing the video on - for social media, portrait mode makes sense to me. If filming for a 16x9 screen, landscape makes the most sense.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-01-24, 12:42 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
It's the same mindset (lack of thinking) that was pervasive in the days of cameras. People would not rotate their cameras to take pictures of the CN Tower or a single person, a tall building, etc. What matters is the subject at hand, as well as the medium on which it will be played. There are reasons why it's called "portrait" and "landscape".

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-01-24, 01:03 PM
Veteran

Unfortunately, since smartphones are typically held in portrait mode, it's unlikely to change anytime soon. Many people just don't care as their primary use of such videos is to share them on social media (which is browsed on a smartphone in portrait mode).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-01-24, 02:12 PM

Indeed, you could also make the case that the problem is that you're trying to view the video on a landscape device, instead of on a portrait device. Many people view videos on their phone and are perfectly content to watch portrait video. When your kids grow up, there's an excellent chance that you'll be showing them these videos on a device that can, at a minimum, rotate the orientation.

FWIW, I also prefer landscape video, but other people have different preferences.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-01-24, 02:24 PM

Location: Kingston, ON - Bell ES 9241, Onkyo TX808, Oppo93, AppleTV3, Vizio 55", PSB & Yamaha speakers for 7:1
Most consumers don't even 'see' the frame of a camera. If they can see the 'thing' [subject] they want to capture, then all is well. How many people cut off the tops of heads in photos? They see the face so everything is OK.

You think it bothers you!! I'm an ex TV cameraperson. The frame is everything. [starts to shake] Don't get me started.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-01-24, 03:27 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
...Many people view videos on their phone...
Yeah, and it's really difficult to rotate a phone 90 degrees.

Of course this also applies to stills (photographs), not just video... Although I do sometimes see people actually taking landscape stills.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-01-24, 04:35 PM
Veteran

Sounds like your wife is a hipster!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-01-24, 04:47 PM

Landscape vs portrait

Very frustrating to see portrait videos whenu watching TV news. Much of the view is missed. I honestly feel that some people do not realize they can switech to landscape so easily.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-01-24, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Yeah, and it's really difficult to rotate a phone 90 degrees.
Of course not, but if you're watching on your phone, you don't necessarily care either way. And if you don't care which orientation they use when viewing them, why would you care in which orientation they're filmed?

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-01-24, 09:56 PM
Veteran

Sometimes it makes sense for the video to be filmed in portrait mode, just like it sometimes makes sense to take a photo in portrait mode.

If the intended viewing audience are using TVs, sure, I get the "always use landscape" advice. But these days it seems that most people consume these videos on their phone, not on a TV or even a laptop.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-01-25, 06:44 AM
Veteran

^^^^
If I receive something via email, it will likely be viewed on my computer.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-01-25, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I often chromecast now a days so when people send me interesting videos we watch them on the "Big" tv so everybody in my family can watch easily instead of staring at a tiny screen. Back in the day, people sent me videos in the correct aspect ratio with the correct orientation back then, though it was mostly 4x3 back then, but now a days they are sending me 16x9 videos of their kids birthdays and other celebrations and milestones however theyre filming mostly in portrait mode, and when playing back on my big screen tv, they look wack, that or sometimes the video player flips them to landscape and then you have to turn your head sideways to watch it. Shakes my head! anyways I have learned to take 2 videos of everything important, one in proper landscape for me for my needs and one for my "Hipster" wife to use for her social media, and you know whats funny? i saw some of her videos for those silly feeds she likes to take and the apps crop out the videos and make them something like 4x3 or 4x4 resolution anyways so there really is no need for her to film in portrait in the end because the apps they use simply crop them for their own format and leave the ones on your phone in the aspect you recorded it, so all this for nothing, what a waste!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 2018-05-19, 04:53 PM

So glad I came across this thread because it's been a pet peeve of mine. Back when I was heavily into film photography you could always tell the amateurs because they took all their pictures in landscape mode, no matter how tall and narrow the subject was. But we never saw movies made in portrait mode by turning the camera sideways because you'd then have to turn the screen and projector sideways to watch them.

But nowadays all the great unwashed make vertical videos on their cellphones no matter what then subject. Clearly, they have no artistic sense, or even a clue. Last time I checked my eyes were side by side and I see everything in an oval approximately 16:9. In art and photography the golden ratio is 1:1.618, between 4:3 and 16:9. But smartphone addicts who mostly just communicate with other smartphone addicts see everything in a vertical aspect ratio on their screens. Even when amateur cellphone video clips are shown on TV, they fill the sides of the screen with a fuzzy zoomed image of the same instead of black and don't apologize for the vertical format. I guess it's because everyone now is a self styled videographer with their smartphone.

Another quirk that bugs me is those mirror image selfie videos. I'm sure it's easier to relate to a video while they are making if it looks like a mirror, but it sure looks dumb to others, especially when the subject is wearing clothing with some lettering or logo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in