Notification profiles on Android - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-01-05, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Notification profiles on Android

My exploration of this little Marshmallow phone continues.

A feature I've come to rely on with my trusty BlackBerry is customizable notification profiles.
I can create profiles such as "Work", "Normal", "Loud", etc... and for each, customize the notification sound, volume, vibration, and LED for each app. Very granular control of notifications for each profile.

When I want to switch profiles, I simply pull down the quick settings panel from the top of the screen and I can cycle through all these profiles.

I'm not seeing anything like this on the Marshmallow. Where's it hidden?

On the plus side, MS Word and Angry Birds both run well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-01-06, 10:58 AM

Android handles this differently. Do not disturb mode allows you to specify which notifications can get through and which ones can't, and can be keyed to come on automatically at certain times of day or for specific calendar events (this is how I automate DND mode so it comes on when I'm at work and sleeping). In Nougat and I believe Marshmallow, it requires you to set the parameters on an app by app basis or by certain contact groups, but in Oreo it allows you to set them certain types of notifications within each app (for example, you can allow emails from certain accounts but not others).

If you want different profiles, like on BlackBerry, there are lots of third party apps that can do that for you. Tasker will give you extremely granular control both of notifications and also of ways to trigger profiles beyond manually selecting (geofencing, Bluetooth, WiFi, NFC, even based on the weather if you should for some reason want that). I used to use that until I realized that I didn't need anywhere near that level of customization; the built in DND mode covers my work/sleep profile, which was already the same, and IFTTT turns my ringer on when I connect to my home Wifi and off when I leave.

There are lots of other options which are way less intricate than Tasker if you're looking for simplicity, but it's arguably the most powerful.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-01-06, 11:28 AM
Veteran

This app should do what you want.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...?id=Orion.Soft

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-07-20, 02:55 PM
Veteran

One thing to note about the profile names is you do not necessarily have to have the name of the profile correspond to the volume level of the profile. I played a joke on a friend of mine once and borrowed his phone, I made his "Loud" profile quiet, and his "Silent" profile to the loudest volume setting. Basically their pre-defined names and the default volume levels within the profile can easily be changed. Some people create additional profiles like meeting, or work or driving etc. Boy o Boy was my friend pist at me when he thought he put his phone in silent during a meeting and it rang full blast, rotflmao.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2018-07-20, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

The notification functionality on my new iPhone is abysmal compared to my BlackBerry.

Absolutely pathetic that you can't set up Normal, Loud, Silent, and Work profiles that can be easily switched between. When people said iOS lacks customizability, I thought people generally referred to widgets, skins, launchers, stuff like that. Yikes was I mistaken.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in