Apps on LG4 that play music/ videos even after locking a phone - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BGY11

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-04, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Apps on LG4 that play music/ videos even after locking a phone

Hey, anyone knows any app so when i lock my phone, it would still play videos from youtube?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-04, 06:52 AM
Veteran

Unless you're rooted, probably not....in Canada. Google offers YouTube Red along with their Play Music subscriptions in the US that offers background playback, but they never brought the feature to Canada.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-04, 10:04 AM
Veteran

you forgot a letter G, its called LG "G"4 I have the LG "G"3 and tho u tube stops working when the fone is locked, Tune In, i heart radio, the bell media radio app, lg music player, etc still works. if you locked your screen that measn u dont need video so just audio so why are u using youtube? youtube is a video app, if u want audio use tunein, or iheart radio or even spotifty

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-04, 10:55 AM
Veteran

Wow.... You criticize the OP for missing a G and then you post a poorly-spelled commentary of your own? Talk about pot calling the kettle black!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
DSgamby likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-04, 11:11 AM
Veteran

Spotify keeps playing when the G4 locks. At least it does when using a bluetooth connected speaker or soundbar. As a bonus, soundbar buttons like play, pause and skip control the Spotify app while the phone is locked. It can also be controlled by Spotify running on other devices.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-15, 12:22 PM
Veteran

This maybe worth looking at.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01...oid-auto-unit/

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-01-15, 12:23 PM
Veteran

I have often wanted to listen to YouTube in the car. For say a interview video or music where u don't really need to watch the screen

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-06-19, 02:46 PM
Veteran

The only apps I know that continue to play in the background when the screen is locked are "Audio Only" apps such as Spotify, Google Play Music, Tidal, TunedIn, and any of those apps from Radio Station owners such as Rogers Radio, Bell Media, Corus Entertainment, Newcap Radio, etc. which are Audio Only. It is very unlikely video apps will continue to play the audio portion only when a phone gets locked, so there is no point trying to circumvent this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-06-19, 07:28 PM

I downloaded VLC to play videos on my tablet a couple of years ago. It continues to play audio when I switch to a different app in the foreground or power the screen off to prevent me from accidentally touching it and causing some unwanted action.

Under preferences, the choices are Stop, Play videos in background, Play videos in picture-in-picture mode.

My default Samsung video player also has a setting to allow you to play audio in the background.

I only use them to play videos I've downloaded from my PC, but I think you could probably configure VLC to play YouTube.

Since someone mentioned YouTube Red, it has been rebranded as YouTube Premium and just launched in Canada.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-01-18, 12:32 PM
Veteran

the new Youtube Music app (formerly youtube red) lets you play music while having the screen lock or standby screen active, its a FREE app and I believe youtube will eventually phase out its original app and force us onto this version in the not so distant future. remember youtbe is not just for videos anymore, it has become a new streaming service to compete with spotifly and tidal and apple music

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in