Special Tip for Smart Phone users in regards to IM Applications - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-02-12, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Special Tip for Smart Phone users in regards to IM Applications

Hello Smart Phone users, most of you have tried or still use instant messaging applications such as Skype, ChatSnap, Face Book, Twitter, Whatsup, BlackBerryMessenger (BBM). I have noticed this trend that people will try an app like BBM or WhatsUpp or skype, and use it for a month or a short period of time then simply delete the app, FORGETTING TO DELETE THE ACCOUNT THEY CREATED. It takes like almost no effort to delete the account, but by keeping the account, you are giving false sense of hope to the other users who think you still use the app, maybe they are not aware you stopped using it, and sent you an important message but you never get the message, its sad but its the cold hard truth and reality. I used to have 2 bbm accounts, but stopped using one of them but back then you could not delete it without the original email which I lost, so I took the time and sent messages to all my contacts and informed them I would not be using bbm no more, its a but more work but you NEED to do this, otherwise its carelessness. same with whatsupp and skype, delete your friggin accounts when you stop using the program,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-02-13, 10:46 AM

ChatSnap!!! I think it's called SnapChat, not ChatSnap.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-02-16, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I personally think it should be called Waist of Time, do we really need any more IM applications? why do we need to use a chat snap to send messages to our friend when we already send SMS to them, we send face book messages, skype, twitter, whatsupp, etc, get what im sayin?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-02-24, 12:26 PM
Rookie

Thanks Paolo:
you make a valid point. No sense in having an open acct with a program you do not use, yet someone could be trying to reach you through that acct.
M.M.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-02-25, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks. It actually is a real story it happened to me once. I had a baptism for my daughter because we are Catholic and I want her to become Catholic too anyways to make a long story short, we sent out invites for the party and people contacted us who were coming.

On the day of the party i was expecting this Chinese friend of mine to show however she did not show. It turned out she sent me a msg thru whats up telling me she could not make it but i had deleted the whats up off my phone but i never deleted the account so other people using whats up have no idea that I stopped using whats up. So thats why I never got her msg.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-06-30, 04:40 AM
Rookie

Yes even I agree with you. One must delete their accounts when they no longer want to use the app.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-07-03, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I know so many people who have multiple facebook accounts because they got locked out of their account and they could not recover their password because they either forgot their email account password or they let their email account expire and get purged.

A lot of people do not take these things seriously, and I remember a close friend of mine asked me to contact that individual on face book and pass along a message and when I looked him up I found like 6 face book accounts under his name that I was friends with all 6 of them I had no idea which one the message would go thru, but at the same time leaving accounts like that and not closing them you get the risk of a hacker hacking your account and spamming all your friends and family and the spam unfortunately will come from your name.

Here is another unfortunate related story. I knew a guy who worked in my industry and we would go out from time to time for coffee, etc, discuss cell phones etc. He unfortunately had died a year later, which is totally sad and understandable. about a few years after that happened, I started getting emails from him, apparently his email account was still active and spammers got a hold of it and were spamming everyone on his contact list, lol, we also felt bad we did not want to mention it to his family because they probably were still mourning his loss but someone figured out how to report it to hotmail and the spam finally stopped but the account is still active.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2019-01-30, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

An update. Since the last time I posted this I have been doing a privacy checkup on my self over the course of 2018. Slowly going thru my old emails finding any unused accounts and or apps or programs that Its tied to, and requesting to shut them down. I believe I have a 94% success rate in closing up any accounts and removing my data from servers of webpages and apps and programs stuff I do not use. Heck I even found out an agency that hired me 10 years ago still had a working login to their Payroll portal I could see my pay information social insurance, tax info, etc. now why would they still need to retain this info after i left? so Ya I let them know and they removed it.

Another thing I came across, those of you who were using the internet in the late 90's remember the infamous IM program called ICQ (I Seek You)? Ya some of you may not know what it was but to the rest of us, it was our first instant messaging program ever. It was big in the late 90's but died down in the early 2K's. I feel most people just abandoned it completely and thought it would go out of business but it was aquired by AOL around the time and the data and logins are still there, infact I was able to login to my old ICQ account and view my personal info on my profile and such. I contacted them and requested they delete my account permanently and they did. Could u imagine that people have tons of personal info about them sitting on servers out there in the world and do nothing about them or think that the info eventually goes away? nah man, that info is there for life in most cases and its our responsibility to manage and purge it otherwise we risk data breaches and identity thefts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in