Apple Pay now available in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Dr.Dave
  • 1 Post By Dr.Dave
  • 1 Post By TorontoColin
  • 2 Post By Gino Cerullo

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-05-10, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Apple Pay now available in Canada

Apple Pay now supports Interac in Canada
Excerpts from the press release:

Interac, Canada's domestic debit network, today announced the launch of Apple Pay, available to consumers with Interac debit cards issued by CIBC and RBC, and coming soon to BMO Financial Group, Scotiabank and TD. Apple Pay enables easy, secure and private contactless transactions using supported Apple devices. Consumers will now be able to add their Interac debit cards to theirApple Wallet and shop at the hundreds of thousands of merchant locations where contactless payments are already accepted in Canada.

With Canadians using Interac more than any other payment type, Apple Pay support of Interac is well positioned for a successful rollout in Canada. "Canadians embrace new technologies quickly and will, no doubt, find tremendous value and convenience when using their Interac debit cards with Apple Pay," said Avinash Chidambaram, Vice President, Product and Platform Development, Interac Association and Acxsys Corporation.

"In the coming months, Canadians will also be able to use Interac for In-App payments, further simplifying the online shopping experience and providing yet another way for Canadians to use their own money when making purchases."

Interac has been working closely with its financial institution partners, such as RBC and CIBC, to bring Apple Pay to Interac debit cardholders.

Security
Security and privacy are at the core of Apple Pay, so when used with a payment card, the actual card numbers are not stored on the device, nor on Apple servers. Instead, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted and securely stored in the Secure Element of the supported Apple device.

Using the Interac Token Service Provider (TSP) service, each Apple Pay transaction is validated with a one-time unique token (a dynamic security code). The Interac TSP service was developed in collaboration with IBM, a world leader in mobile and cloud computing, Bell ID, a global provider of tokenization software for mobile payments, and Everlink, a leading provider of integrated payment solutions and services. Since Apple Pay transactions using Interac are backed by the Interac brand, consumers are further protected from fraud with transaction limits and zero customer liability.

Availability
Apple Pay is available to all active Interac debit cards issued by CIBC and RBC. Your debit card does not have to be an Interac Flash® enabled card. In stores, Apple Pay works with iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch. You will first need to add your debit card to the Apple Wallet to make mobile transactions.

Interac can be used with Apple Pay to buy goods and services across Canada in the hundreds of thousands of Canadian stores wherever contactless payments are already accepted. Just look for the contactless symbol on the payment terminal at checkout.

For more information, visit Interac (www.interac.ca/applepay) or Apple (www.apple.com/ca/apple-pay).
MichealBuckner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-05-10, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Apple Pay Now Available to Canadian MasterCard Cardholders

MasterCard credit cardholders banking with Royal Bank of Canada (RBC), Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC), Canadian Tire Bank and ATB Financial can pay with Apple Pay starting today, and cardholders who bank with BMO Financial Group (BMO) will be able to use Apple Pay in the coming weeks.

Apple Pay leverages MasterCard's safe and secure platform, MDES (MasterCard Digital Enablement Service), which uses the most advanced payment technologies – EMV, tokenization, cryptography and biometrics – to ensure the integrity of cardholder information. When you use your MasterCard with Apple Pay, the actual card numbers are not stored on the device, nor on Apple servers. Instead, a token is created when you load your MasterCard into your device. The token, an alternate 16-digit number linked to the device, will only ever be used when paying with that device.

Apple Pay now available to RBC debit and credit cardholders

RBC announced today that clients will now be able to use their personal Avion and other RBC credit and debit cards with Apple Pay.

Apple Pay launches today for CIBC clients

CIBC clients can now add their Visa or MasterCard credit card, or Interac debit card, to Apple Pay on compatible Apple devices and start paying for everyday purchases with their phone wherever contactless payments are accepted.

Apple Pay now in hands of ATB customers

Apple Pay is now available to anyone with an ATB Financial MasterCard and will be available this fall with ATB debit cards.

Moneris continues contactless payment leadership in Canada as Apple Pay expands

All point-of-sale solutions shipped from Moneris today come with the ability to accept contactless payments, including integrated or standalone terminals, whether wired or wireless.

Businesses looking for more information on Apple Pay are welcome to contact Moneris at 1-866-MONERIS and to read our insights and tips at www.moneris.com/applepay/.
MichealBuckner likes this.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2016-05-10 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Added Link
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-05-10, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Canadian banks, including 'the Big Five,' sign on for major Apple Pay expansion | Financial Post
Quote:
The banks, which have been in talks with Apple for months, had indicated that two issues were fundamental to any partnership with the tech giant: The need to maintain client security and to preserve client relationships...The negotiations between Apple and the banks are also understood to have involved working out how the parties would share lucrative “interchange” fees that are taken on each credit card transaction. Bank officials would not comment Monday on the financial terms of the Apple Pay agreement.
The integration with Interac, which is part of Tuesday’s roll-out, was one of the major reasons for the delay in expanding Apple Pay.

Jennifer Bailey, Apple’s vice-president of Apple Pay said "Adding a new network to Apple Pay’s platform takes new work for both Apple and the network itself. All of the partners — the banks, Apple and the networks — have to build up this new integration and do full testing."

Apple Pay has been available in Canada with American Express since November 2015.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-05-12, 12:31 AM

I'm too paranoid to even consider something like this, even though I feel I was an early adopter of Interac and doing things like pay-at-the-pump for fuel.

Wireless encryption seems to be fairly secure, but expert hackers (white hat?) like Sami Kamkar seem to be able to jam (ie.intercept) signals of all kinds and rebroadcast them at will. A good example is his "OwnStar" GM keyfob hack.

I may change my mind, but for now I think I'll play it safe and keep NFC turned off so nobody can "sniff" my connection.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-05-12, 08:47 AM

I have no problem to use the technology. I am with BMO and will have to wait a few weeks. I have been waiting since it has been launched in the states. Glad it is finally here
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-05-12, 12:48 PM

Anything can be hacked. Chip and PIN technology is not fool-proof either. If you're hacked while correctly using a technology which is approved by your bank and/or credit card company, I'm sure they'll reimburse you just as they would if your card was compromised.

My bigger problem with Apple Pay, and the equivalent services on other platforms, is that they don't seem any easier to me than tap and pay with my credit or debit card. If you'd like to start leaving your wallet behind (or do so by accident), then I suppose it could be useful, but I never do that.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-05-12, 12:57 PM

I've used it several times now with my watch and don't want to have to go back to reaching in my pocket. If I had to use my phone, it would only be a little more convenient than with my wallet.

Telus 4K PVR & 2 wireless boxes; switched from Shaw for more HD and 4K channels, 3 AppleTVs
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-05-12, 01:00 PM

I saw a list of stores that were accepting ApplePay, but so far it's worked at every "tap to pay" terminal I've tried.

Telus 4K PVR & 2 wireless boxes; switched from Shaw for more HD and 4K channels, 3 AppleTVs
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-05-12, 03:29 PM

I don't have an IPhone but I do have the RBCWallet. I find that it requires me to have a PIN for my Android and it requires more effort than just getting out the card from my wallet. If I am away from my house I ALWAYS have my wallet....it has my d/l so I have to carry it, but I am often out and have forgotten my phone.

When it is time for a new phone I am not at all sure that I'd get an iPhone rather than Android just for Apple Pay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-05-12, 05:44 PM

For ApplePay don't have to go into the RBC Wallet, although it does need to be installed. You just hold your finger on the fingerprint sensor and tap your phone.

Maybe someone who has tried it with the phone can comment. I've only used it from the Watch. When I go into RBC Wallet on the phone, I can see all my ApplePay transactions.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-05-13, 08:42 AM

This seems like creating a need where there never was one before, and it doesn't really save time nor is it more convenient.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-05-13, 12:49 PM

I can see some worthwhile use cases. While I can't see myself leaving behind my primary debit and credit cards any time soon, if I had multiple credit cards and only use some occasionally, it might be worthwhile. For example, if I had a petro points credit card and only used it for buying gas, it might be nice to have it loaded on my phone and not have to carry the extra card, while still having the backup option of my main card.

I'm not yet at the point where I trust relying exclusively on my phone for payments, but I already store any loyalty cards I can on there. The principle is similar, I suppose.
andrela likes this.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2016-05-13, 08:10 PM

Mobile payments are the future. Convenience is only a minor feature it's the security that is more important. Physical credit cards are the weakest link in the payment chain because they hold an easily visible, and easily copiable, number on them and cloning them is fairly trivial as well.

Smartphones don't store any information that can be easily copied and used for fraudulent payments. In the case of the iPhone someone would need to hack the secure enclave which is extremely non-trivial. The time it would take even if it was possible would render the information useless as the card would be cancelled long before the hack was completed. Even if the wireless transaction is intercepted, the use of one-use tokens means that it is impossible to use the intercepted information to perform fraudulent transactions in the future.
Motley and andrela like this.

Tags
apple pay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in