Samsung Galaxy S7, anyone? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-03-09, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Samsung Galaxy S7, anyone?

Wow no thread for the hottest phone of 2016(for now). Anybody have it yet? I pick a s7 edge Friday!,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-03-10, 02:57 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Impressive unit, that's for sure, but the S6 was a major pain for hardware lock-in (poor repairability) and the S7 is only a slight improvement on that. Samsung has thankfully included a MicroSD card again. Here's a great teardown of a Samsung Galaxy S7 over on iFixit:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Sams...ionid=verified

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-03-10, 08:36 AM
Veteran

I have a Note 5 and will probably wait for the Note 6 instead - though I won't be surprised if it's $1000 minimum without contract.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-03-10, 08:52 AM
Veteran

The way Samsung has been pushing a lot of ads for the S7 directly to my SIII has left a bad taste in my mouth for the brand. Not impressed.

I'm sure it's a great piece of hardware, as was the SIII when it came out, but the underlying nonsense I don't need.

Cameron
ebusinesstutor likes this.

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-03-10, 09:19 AM

I'm good with my G4. The incremental changes from year to year are not enough to justify a huge cash outlay for a phone that may or may not be marginally better than what I have now.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-03-10, 03:04 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

The S6 and S7 aren't really a good fit for me, and neither was the Note 5. I've intentionally stayed with my Note 4 due to all the battery and MicroSD hassles with the newer Sammies. In the future until the hardware dies I'll root my Note 4 and go with Cyanogenmod or similar if I stop getting Android updates.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-03-12, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

I picked mine up today (s7 edge) I think I finally found the perfect size(for me) still playing with it but so far I love it.. I'm kind of a techy.. I literally try ever flagship for a couple of weeks and then return it.. Not sure I will do that with this phone.
Fast.. Comfortable in hand. .. And the best screen in the business ..

I'll use for a bit then give a more detailed likes/dislikes report..
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-03-14, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

So after a few days of usage, i have to say i am very satisfied with s7 edge. The size of the phone is perfet for me and i find it the easiest phone to type on i have ever had.. not sure iof thats caus it feels so goo d in the hand or what but man i am impressed.
But the # 1 thing is the BATTERY. Wow, i start my day at 630am and use the phone very frequent throught the day till 9pm.. i am sitting at my desk at 1:30pm, and the battery is reading 74%. That is amazing.. compared to all my other phones.. the best i could get was maybe 50% at this time every day.. Im not sure what some of the reviewers were usiong for there tests.. some of them said the battery was no better than the s6.. thats Ludercris.. its waaayy better..
more to come..
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 03:07 PM
Veteran

I am still happy with my Note 5. The larger screen has been even better than anticipated. Not looking at the latest Samsungs.

Battery on the Note 5 is good. However, if you go into Settings => Applications => Application Manager => Running, and kill everything you don't need, it gets even better! I have often seen 75% remaining by 10PM.

You may want to try the same thing with the SG7. There is a LOT of stuff not needed that starts anyways.

Which version of Android did the SG7 some with? I am dissapointed that M is not yet available for the Note 5, at least not on Rogers.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 03:37 PM

I picked up the regular S7 on Saturday and so far so good. One small thing though. I purchased a ZAGG tempered glass screen protector and on both sides of the phone, there is about an 1/8" of the protector that doesn't lay flat on the phone. It's because all around the edge of the phone there is a slight concave and this make it stick up. So you see a line on both sides, similar to if you had a bubble in it. You would think that ZAGG would have known this and made the screen protector to fit better. I contacted them and they said they are fixing the problem. I am not sure why manufacturers release things for new phones when they haven't been tested properly.

Other than that, the phone works flawlessly.

XBR75X850E, STRDN1080, Klipsch R820F, Klipsch R52C, Polk RC60i, BIC America F12 Sub, Pany BD35, Shield TV, Ignite TV.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 07:26 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfielder View Post
Which version of Android did the SG7 some with? I am dissapointed that M is not yet available for the Note 5, at least not on Rogers.
The S7 & S7 Edge come with Android 6.0.1 and the Feb. 1st security update.

As for Marshmallow on the Note 5, last I checked Telus users should be getting the update tomorrow (March 16th). Hopefully Bell & Rogers users won't have to wait too much longer.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-03-16, 12:20 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11
last I checked Telus users should be getting the update tomorrow (March 16th)
Thanks for the reminder - I'm doing an adb backup now.

One of mrs. stampeder's workmates just bought an S7 and loves it. She had an iPhone 5s before that and is not a techie kind of person, so this is quite a transition for her but she's enjoying it. Alas, mrs. stampeder herself clings to all her Apple stuff but that's fine with me.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-03-17, 10:19 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigman65 View Post
....One small thing though. I purchased a ZAGG tempered glass screen protector and on both sides of the phone, there is about an 1/8" of the protector that doesn't lay flat on the phone.....
Why get a screen protector? With Gorilla Glass, do you really need it?

My Note 5 lives in my pocket, and has been used in a wide variety of situations that are worlds away from a clean room, and the screen is as good as new. Dito my Pebble Steele smartwatch - including swimming in the ocean, after a year there are marks on the steel case but none on the glass.

Ditto our two iPhone 3Gs units - long out of service except that mine is now the remote control for my DJ laptop. They look like new!

My Samsung SG3 had an inferior version of Gorilla Glass, and it did get scratched a little. However, it saw four years of service is conditions that were far from ideal.

So far, I have not seen any real world need for screen protectors on good quality smartphones. They just make the screen less sharp, which is a shame given the quality and resolution of the screens.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-03-17, 11:16 AM
Veteran

It's personal preference. Some people have had far worse luck with scratches than you have. Gorilla Glass is not scratch proof. Resistant? Yes, but it can still scratch even if you don't intentionally try to do so.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2016-03-17, 05:00 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsim View Post
I literally try ever flagship for a couple of weeks and then return it..
Are you serious. That's OK?
Would this have something to do with the price of our tech toys? including this phone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in