Blackberry Priv: Too little, too late? - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-12, 12:15 AM

How's the camera on the Blackberry 10? You don't hear much about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-12, 01:33 AM
Veteran

It's good enough for ssbtech since he doesn't need such things as OIS, 4k shooting, manual controls, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #123 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-12, 03:05 PM

Nobody needs 4k shooting for snapchat photos.

For the real heavy lifting, I have a drawer full of Pentax DSLR camera gear. (Sorry it's not Canon/Nikon, would you like to chastise me for that too?)

post #124 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-12, 04:03 PM

it fits your M.O. to pick the 3rd place platform at least!
post #125 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-12, 05:31 PM
Veteran

Maybe you have to go home to view the pictures taken on Canon/Nikon cameras instead of immediately on the Pentax?

--
Neil
post #126 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-12, 05:33 PM
Veteran

There's no Snapchat app for the Pentax.
post #127 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-12, 06:25 PM

At the end of the day it comes down to what product I will enjoy interacting with on a regular basis.

Every Android device I've picked up has an interface that is not only hideous to look at (Samsung's classic bile yellow and green colors in their SMS app for example), but they're often not intuitive and require several additional steps to accomplish the same task done with ease on BB10. Visually, there are many distracting UI elements on the screen that serve little purpose for the task at hand, and with their menu designs the way they are, they're difficult to use one-handed.

It's taken iOS/Android many, many revisions to finally get to a usable interface (iOS is still catching up). BB10 pretty much nailed it right when it landed.

It's funny how the weaknesses in the almighty Android are the basis of complaints surrounding BlackBerry's implementation of the Hub. I would expect more from such a superior OS.
post #128 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-12, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
At the end of the day it comes down to what product I will enjoy interacting with on a regular basis.
Which is fine. We maintain forums for all kinds of different niche tech products because they have value for someone. Smartphone are highly personal devices, and different things will work for different people. Just because you're in the overwhelming minority doesn't make you wrong that BlackBerry 10 is the best for you.

But that works both ways. You can't expect people to acknowledge that if you can't in turn acknowledge that it's possible for everyone else to feel very different. It's possible for people to dismiss BlackBerry 10 without being uninformed, or brainwashed sheep. And it's possible that for the majority of people, for a variety of reasons, BlackBerry 10 is not a good option. And it's possible for you to express your opinions without assailing the people who like the competing products.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #129 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-12, 08:02 PM
Veteran

Wow, a good old fashioned flamefest on DHC. Haven't seen that in a long time...also haven't seen such a high post count in a long time!

I own them all. Multiple versions of each. BB, Windows Phone, Android, iOS. They have all gives and takes, but iOS (in my opinion) is the best overall package for form, fit and function. My only real complaint is that I can't replace the stock dialer with a SIP dialer. I have other complaints, like HomeKit requiring iCloud Keychain (doesn't play well with corporate MDMs) but that's probably a bit obscure for this discussion.

Bottom line is that BB and WP have clearly and definitely lost out to Android and iOS. Fact, not debate. The people have spoken. Put those Lumias and BB Passports in the basement next to your Palm Pilot and Commodore Amiga.
post #130 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-12, 08:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
It's taken iOS/Android many, many revisions to finally get to a usable interface (iOS is still catching up). BB10 pretty much nailed it right when it landed.
Please allow me to point out the obvious...the 10 in BB10 is a revision number.
buckycat likes this.
post #131 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-12, 08:18 PM
Veteran

Well, if you want to be technical, there was no BB8 or BB9....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #132 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-12, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
Please allow me to point out the obvious...the 10 in BB10 is a revision number.
Please allow me to point out that the original name was BBX, not BB10.

While "X" is the Roman numeral for 10, there was no reference to "ten" prior to someone at Basis Software getting their panties in a twist.

Regardless, BB10 was a completely new OS based on QNX. It had nothing to do with the old Java based BBOS.
post #133 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-12, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99semaj View Post
I own them all. Multiple versions of each. BB, Windows Phone, Android, iOS. They have all gives and takes, but iOS (in my opinion) is the best overall package for form, fit and function.
You realize you're defending a platform that's lost considerable ground to Android.... oh the irony.
post #134 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-12, 11:15 PM

Says the guy who's choice is probably down under 5% market
post #135 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-12, 11:47 PM
Veteran

0.7% (not 7%) in the U.S. actually. And the CEO seems to have zero confidence in the OS. BlackBerry only releasing Android: 2016 phones will be all Android | BGR

But why introduce facts about an OS that "pretty much nailed it right when it landed" (except for tablets, oops - BlackBerry CEO on BB10 for PlayBook: "It was one of the toughest decisions I had to make" | CrackBerry.com ), introduced six years after its competitors?

BlackBerry 10 Review: A Quirky but Severely Flawed Platform
BlackBerry Z10 Review: Not Good Enough

--
Neil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in