Blackberry Priv: Too little, too late? - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 01:30 PM

You really do know how to set a condescending tone...

I don't need to use a desktop client, I choose to use one because it offers features and functionality not offered by webmail. Just like I choose to use a BB10 phone because it offers features and functionality not offered by iDroid.

I like the comments in the Verge article on Gmail's "success". Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks Gmail's design is rubbish. It's more evidence that things aren't always popular because they're good...

Quote:
Migrated to Outlook. But Gmail is kinda there to maintain a presence in google. Hardly use it now.
Quote:
I like Gmail and have used it since the start, but I just wish it was as simple to use and customise as Outlook (browser). Replying or forwarding an email visually makes no sense!
Quote:
Inbox may be nice and all, but Gmail in browsers is horrific compared to Outlook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 02:22 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
You really do know how to set a condescending tone...
We're not the ones with the "if I don't want it, it must be crap" attitude.

--
Neil
post #108 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 02:26 PM

Again, I'm not arguing that it's good, I'm arguing that it's important. It doesn't matter whether you like Gmail or Snapchat or Pebble or Fitbit or Sonos or Instagram or whatever other services are available on Android/iOS but not BlackBerry 10. Lots of other people do. Millions and millions of them. And every one of those missing apps and services is a point against BlackBerry 10.

You may like the extra features and functionality offered by BlackBerry 10, but for the average smartphone owner, the features and functionality missing (namely the myriad of apps and services) are vastly more important. Maybe BlackBerry made the perfect device for you. But the perfect device for isn't the perfect device for me: I need Fitbit and Hangouts and Chromecast support and my banking apps. And it won't be the perfect device for my friend who needs Snapchat, Xbox smartglass, and Yahoo Fantasy Sports. And if your system can't accommodate those needs, you're not going to sell particularly well, and you're certainly not going to pick up much momentum with either market share or mind share.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

post #109 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 03:26 PM

And for everyone who has a fitbit, there is someone who doesn't. This notion that you NEED an Android/iOS to support all these gadgets really falls flat when you discover that most people probably don't even have those things.

Banking apps? Yep, I have those. Chromecast? No, I don't, but again my phone and the Microsoft wireless display stick work just fine together without downloading anything to the phone.

Again with perpetuating myths and fallacies about BB10.

It's funny, the biggest complaints about the Priv's software on the CrackBerry forums is the poor email support and various integration issues surrounding communications.
post #110 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 03:39 PM
Veteran

Nothing TorontoColin has said is "perpetuating myths and fallacies about BB10."

I don't know what you are trying to prove to us. Nobody is denying that the BB10 email experience is good, and may in fact be better than the competition. This fact did nothing to help BlackBerry, as the things it couldn't do far outweighed the benefits.

Even worse is that BlackBerry really failed to market BB10 well. Look at HTC to realize just how important marketing is! Failure to market the devices and show that this wasn't anything like the old "legacy" BBOS, the app gap, and overpricing their handsets at launch is what killed BB10.... Wait, haven't I said this several times already?

Email wasn't enough to save BlackBerry here.

Last edited by BGY11; 2016-02-10 at 04:03 PM.
post #111 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 05:01 PM
tux

Although I myself am an Android user, I look at all options when purchasing a new device. Best tool for the job and all that.

For me, email doesn't matter; if I need email on my phone, I can use a POP3 or IMAP client or a web browser.

However, what does matter, and what would prevent me from buying a BB10 phone, is that it lacks the Harmony app, which I use to control my TV, PS3 (Netflix app), and any other home entertainment devices. I also wouldn't purchase a BB Priv because it's $900 freaking dollars. My current Moto G only set me back $250.

So, I'll have to agree with @BGY11 here. Lack of apps on BB10. Email doesn't matter. Overpriced at launch.
post #112 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 09:03 PM

An app such as Harmony that emulates remote controls could strongly benefit from the one-handed friendly design of BB10's Cascades UI framework.

Unless you like using remote controls with 2 hands
post #113 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
and properly archive their email.
It just dawned on me - how does one archive messages on an email service that doesn't even use folders?
post #114 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-10, 09:47 PM

It clears email from your inbox without deleting it. It was a somewhat revolutionary concept when it launched, because back then most email providers severely constrained storage space, and keeping everything archived away was pretty much unheard of.

And gmail doesn't use anything called folders, but it has a variety of other organization tools, including labels, which I find far more effective, but others may not like as much.

Quote:
And for everyone who has a fitbit, there is someone who doesn't. This notion that you NEED an Android/iOS to support all these gadgets really falls flat when you discover that most people probably don't even have those things.

Banking apps? Yep, I have those. Chromecast? No, I don't, but again my phone and the Microsoft wireless display stick work just fine together without downloading anything to the phone.
Even if we assume that every one of the 400 million Instagram users and 200 million Snapchat users and hundreds of millions of other users of these services all already fall into the pool of billion gmail users, that's still a pretty sizable market share to miss. And it makes it really hard for those who are influencers to recommend BlackBerry 10 when you don't know whether it will do everything the person might want it to do over the next roughly two years.

Your banking apps may be on BlackBerry 10, but not all of mine are. And Chromecasts are very different from the Microsoft product. And they work with a whole range of services, like mlb.tv, which aren't on BlackBerry 10.

post #115 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-11, 03:03 AM
Veteran

Quote:
An app such as Harmony that emulates remote controls could strongly benefit from the one-handed friendly design of BB10's Cascades UI framework.

Unless you like using remote controls with 2 hands
It doesn't matter if it "could" strongly benefit. It matters that it "doesn't" benefit, because there's no app available.

Also, aside from screen size, there's nothing stopping the current Harmony app from working well with one-handed use (actually, the app is pretty good from a Ui perspective). Cascades really wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #116 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-11, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Again with perpetuating myths and fallacies about BB10.

It's funny, the biggest complaints about the Priv's software on the CrackBerry forums is the poor email support and various integration issues surrounding communications.
I have a Pebble time smart watch. I also have a BB Q10 which does not play nice with it. I am 46 years old and recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy 5 and that pairs nicely with the Pebble and allows it to take full advantage of what the Pebble offers. ssbtech you would be surprised how many of us older people request the features that you just can't get using a BB. I held out as long as I could (originally had a Z30 and when that broke, I was given a Q10. Don't get me wrong BB is great for business, but when it comes to a gadget user like myself. Android is the way to go.

Bell 6400,4100,6141, Sony KDL70R550A
Garmin c340 265WT 1490T 295W 2460LMT PS3 BB Z30, ojocam Pro dashcam
post #117 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-11, 02:07 PM

Fair enough, and I don't buy anything that relies on the use of iOS/Android for its functionality. I really don't feel that I'm missing out on anything, and I'm not stuck with an OS design that is cumbersome (Android) or limited (Apple's walled garden).
post #118 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-11, 10:33 PM

um, you're stuck with an OS that's the MOST limited of any of the mobile OS's
post #119 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-11, 10:50 PM

And yet I can still do more, more efficiently, than I can on iOS...
post #120 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-11, 11:59 PM

Perhaps you can do more within the limited range of tasks you want to do (individually, everyone's range of tasks is limited relative to the possibilities). But whether BlackBerry 10 is able to do more than iOS, full stop, is at best highly questionable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in