Blackberry Priv: Too little, too late? - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 03:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
Idiocy? I think JamesK just explained clearly the problems with iOS's handling.
"...my colleague has to wait until he gets back to the office, that's a pretty big productivity hit."
^^^ Yes, this is idiocy.

--
Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 03:13 PM

Because iOS makes it so cumbersome to email out attachments. Why are you constantly refusing to admit that Apple isn't well developed in this regard?

Last I checked, it was also impossible to rename photos taken with the camera on iOS as well. Often we need to be able to rename a photo in order to provide a location reference/item description.
post #78 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 03:18 PM
Veteran

Like I said before, my only reason for posting was to correct your obvious falsehood.

--
Neil

post #79 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 03:22 PM
Veteran

As evident by Blackberry's resounding success and crushing market share.
post #80 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 03:54 PM
Veteran

^^^^
They have also done some really dumb things, such as they're paying their CEO $89M/year, IIRC. This is at the same time as they're cutting staff and development. Compare this with the Royal Bank CEO who, last I heard, was making $11M and even at that considered overpaid. If you can't afford development, you can't afford to pay the CEO anywhere near that amount.

Quote:
Can you get an upper case letter out of the iOS keyboard yet without having to hit "shift" first?
iOS will make the first letter of a sentence capital. What I really miss on it is numbers. With Android, when you hold the top keys for a couple of seconds, you get a number. Many keys provide other characters in a similar manner, including on the number and special character keyboards. You can even get fractions and playing card suits (heart, club, etc.). With iOS you have to select the numbers keyboard to get numbers. Same thing with period & comma, though iOS will add a period, if you hit space twice in a short time, just like Android. For commas, iOS requires switching to the number keyboard, but with Android, I can hit the key next to the space bar.

Another irritating "feature" of iOS is that pop up menu at the bottom of the screen. While it contains useful functions, it often opens when you don't want it to.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #81 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
Like I said before, my only reason for posting was to correct your obvious falsehood.
I guess JamesK is making stuff up too then?
post #82 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 04:24 PM

As for Chen's compensation, that was clarified by BlackBerry as incorrect: BlackBerry clears up the misconceptions surrounding John Chen's compensation | CrackBerry.com
post #83 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 04:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I guess JamesK is making stuff up too then?
He's mistaken on the cut/copy/paste dates (or talking about something else) but none of what he's wrote is pure nonsense.

--
Neil
post #84 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 04:37 PM

Great, so we're in agreement that iOS's handling of outgoing email attachments is frustrating, and in some cases not possible.
post #85 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 05:11 PM
Veteran

No, we're not. iOS's handling of outgoing attachments is app-centric. A lot of people may not like this but I've never gotten a call from an iOS user wailing, "Where's my fiiile?!" And please, give me an example where emailing out an attachment is just not possible. Ask your colleague if you have to.

--
Neil
post #86 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 06:30 PM

Quote:
You're suggesting that email is a thing of the past?
it's getting there chief~

email has been replaced for quick communication by multitudes of chat programs or texting

online collaboration has been taken up by tons of cloud services

video chat is finally a reality

it's just mostly the older folks clinging to email
post #87 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 06:45 PM
Veteran

I'd say email is very much alive - especially in corporate settings.

Yes, BlackBerry has done well with email (as they should, since messaging was always their specialty).

Unfortunately, it's not the only important thing anymore, and BlackBerry failed to compete in time.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #88 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 10:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
email has been replaced for quick communication by multitudes of chat programs or texting
I use email much more than other methods for both personal and work communications. I don't think I've ever used video chat for work.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #89 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
I have an Android phone and an iPhone 6 for work. I can say from experience that the iPhone is lacking in some things. For example, while I can email a photo in a new message, It's more difficult to attach one to a reply or forward message.
What are the steps required to attach a file (or multiple files of multiple types) to a reply/forward on iOS9?
post #90 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 11:59 PM
Veteran

Meanwhile, back on the discussion of the Priv...

A Priv with BB10 and Android Marshmallow (v6) will be something I'll jump at.

At least I'll be able to tame nosy apps if my understanding of v6 Android is correct.

As to this ongoing discussion of cut and paste... I have a BlackBerry 8700. Ancient by today's standards, but although it didn't have a touch screen, it did have cut and paste via it's menu. Now look that thing up for when it came out. The only reason I'm not using it for a legacy PayGo account is because of one failed, but extremely critical part: the scroll wheel. Too bad, the phone works just great otherwise, but when they get around to jettisoning GSM, it'll be toast.

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy SIII. I hate the virtual keyboard, and for any serious use at home, I use an Apple bluetooth keyboard. Only irritation with that combo is it will not type a full quote. It types a @ instead. Haven't found a fix for that.

The BlackBerry Playbook I used a lot initially, but with each update, features started vanishing / changing / became dysfunctional. Too bad. It was a neat device, but slow.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in