Blackberry Priv: Too little, too late? - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 03:09 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
Well again, it took them 8 revisions to add such a basic feature to the OS.
Why are you hanging onto this falsehood? Hang on, is this what you're going on about: How to add email attachments to Mail for iPhone and iPad | iMore ? Pretty pathetic try at spreading FUD if it is. And your "colleague" should be looking at early retirement if he couldn't figure out how to email attachments from apps and had to go back to the office instead.

--
Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 03:46 AM

It took Apple how many revisions to finally get that feature working? Please tell me you can select multiple files at once in one attachment operation without having to return to the email and select "add attachment" for each file...

Wake me up when they support Miracast, USB OTG, Micro SD... Shall we talk about the rumoured removal of the headphone jack?

Oh and if you have any pointers for my friend who cannot get his iPhone's Bluetooth to stay connected to his new car, feel free to share. He picked up a 6s on the advice that "iPhones are great" and he's ready to drive over it with said car.
post #63 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 05:26 AM
Veteran

Blah blah blah BlackBerry is the best, blah blah Apple users idiots, blah blah blah.

Funny that all of a sudden this turned into Apple vs BlackBerry. I also laugh at your statement that "many had moved on by then when they realized it lacked this functionality" because market share clearly says otherwise.

As we've said countless times in the past, just because you think something is "core functionality" doesn't mean it's true. Your ignorance in other platforms shines through and doesn't help.

Finally, in my response to overpriced handsets, you mentioned picking up a Z30 for $200. That was definitely not the price when it was launched, so that point is invalid right there as well.

Bottom line, while you think you speak for everyone, they don't. BlackBerry has only themselves to blame for the failure of BB10 - not consumers (despite what you think). You can argue this as much as you want, but you simply aren't going to win this debate. Sorry.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

post #64 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 10:38 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah.
Sorry, I have no interest in engaging in a geek-war or providing support for another of your incompetent friends. My only reason for posting was to correct your obvious falsehood.

--
Neil
post #65 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 01:48 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
Blah blah blah BlackBerry is the best, blah blah Apple users idiots, blah blah blah.

If you want to take personal shots at me because I use a different sort of phone than you do, go right ahead. This is a tech forum for discussing technology.

I said that it was the best for me, not "the best". But it's clear when I use multiple devices that BlackBerry's implementation of many features and functions is uncomplicated, uncluttered and requires very little thought from the user. Not all users of technology products are technology engineers.

It's clear that Apple has done such an awesome job at marketing that you can't see where they fail. When it takes EIGHT revisions of an OS before they finally add basic email functions, how can you take the position that Apple can do no wrong? Apple discussion forums are filled with people who either have problems with the devices or are frustrated by missing features. They're clearly not perfect products.

Apple has invested a tremendous amount of money in ensuring their products follow as few standards as possible and remain in their walled garden. Apple's success isn't based on having truly capable products but rather on customers having little choice to buy anything else once they've fallen prey to Apple marketing. Why do you think it takes them so long to release small features like email attachments? It's to keep people updating the OS, and by extension paying a thousand dollars for new phones every year.
post #66 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 02:04 PM

you need to quit with the blah blah blah. I mean really, who even cares about email anymore? let alone email attachments?

it's like you whine about everyone's new Roku's because they don't have diamond tip needles for their turntables....

bb10 is ok. I'm sure it does certain things for you just peachy keen. it's painfully slow at certain things, and just was never a good Phone OS. email device? sure, it was a pioneer
post #67 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
I mean really, who even cares about email anymore? let alone email attachments?
You're suggesting that email is a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
it's painfully slow at certain things, and just was never a good Phone OS.
Slow at what and how was it not a good phone OS?

When it comes to mobile devices, you typically want something that requires very little input/very few steps to accomplish a task. I've used iOS/Android enough to know that simplicity in navigation is not their strong points.
post #68 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 02:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:

If you want to take personal shots at me because I use a different sort of phone than you do, go right ahead. This is a tech forum for discussing technology.
I didn't take a shot at you - I just summarized what you've been saying. Also, you seem to have done the same towards iPhone and Android users, so don't act so innocent. You are a BlackBerry fanboy, and just like any fanboy, opt to ignore the great things about other platforms. No platform is perfect, and what works for one person won't necessarily work for others.

The only arguments you've come up with are ones we've easily countered. Whether it took Apple 8 years to implement something is irrelevant. It's what they have now, and that's what counts.

You are free to like BB10, but like it or not the platform is essentially dead now. It has absolutely nothing to do with customers preferring "mediocrity" because Android & iOS are far from mediocre. They may not be your ideal platform, but they certainly have the features that many people care about.

If BB10 had come out when it was supposed to (as in, soon after the PlayBook came out), I strongly think they would have had a chance. The problem is that it came 2-3 years later, when iOS & Android already had a strong foothold. BlackBerry had a significant disadvantage as a result, and the lack of good marketing, the perception of BlackBerry as a result of the aging "classic" BB OS, and lack of apps consumers wanted certainly didn't help matters. Yes, I know you said "most" consumers don't use many apps outside of what their phone comes with (which is a bit of a stretch, but I'll let it go), but when the platform lacks a significant number of apps that people actually use, then it rules out that platform for them.

So yes, it's a shame that BB10 failed, but it has absolutely nothing to do with consumers preferring mediocre alternatives.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #69 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 02:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Much more likely that either your colleague is less than competent when using their phone or you're simply making things up
I have an Android phone and an iPhone 6 for work. I can say from experience that the iPhone is lacking in some things. For example, while I can email a photo in a new message, It's more difficult to attach one to a reply or forward message. It's very easy to do on my Android phone. Also, cut 'n paste isn't very good. It might work or it might not. Also, it's difficult to correct a spelling error. With Android, I can easily place the cursor where I want to delete the wrong character and type the new. With the iPhone, I often have to delete all the letters from the end, to reach the one I wanted to delete and then retype all the ones I had to delete. All in all, I really don't understand why iPhones are so popular, as they're not as capable as Android. One other thing, my work occasionally involves WiFi access points. I have a couple of apps on my Android phone for checking WiFi signals. For whatever reason, Apple won't allow similar. So, when I have to check the WiFi signal, I have to use my own phone, instead of my work iPhone.

There are other "features" that make the iPhone a pain to use.
ssbtech likes this.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #70 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 02:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
How to add email attachments to Mail for iPhone and iPad | iMore ? Pretty pathetic try at spreading FUD if it is
In the K9 email app on Android, just touch on the paperclip to add an attachment.

post #71 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 02:46 PM
Veteran

@JamesK : There's no doubt each platform has its strengths and weaknesses. But it's impossible to have a rational conversation about this when there's such idiocy like "you have to go back to the office to email attachments" flying about.

--
Neil
post #72 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 02:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Whether it took Apple 8 years to implement something is irrelevant. It's what they have now, and that's what counts.
Compare cut 'n paste on iPhone with Android. It works much better on Android. In fact, it wasn't even available until more recent iOS versions. Try placing the cursor in the middle of a word to make a spelling correction in iOS. Lots of other things in iOS aren't so great. One thing about simplifying is you can make it more difficult to do things, because it now gets in your way. This is my experience with Apple phones and computers. It's even worse than Windows in this regard.
Apple has long tried to tell people what they wanted to do.

post #73 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 02:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
Compare cut 'n paste on iPhone with Android. It works much better on Android. In fact, it wasn't even available until more recent iOS versions.
Might want to do a little more homework.

iOS cut/copy/paste - iOS 3 released June 2009
Android cut/copy/paste - Android 2.3 released December 2010

--
Neil
post #74 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 03:00 PM

Idiocy? I think JamesK just explained clearly the problems with iOS's email handling.

People use cell phones because they want quick, simple access to their stuff. They generally don't want to be burdened by complicated clutter when trying to do something quickly.

Are there file managers on Android? Sure, and some would even say it's great to have choice. But take one of the popular ones for example, ES File Explorer. I suppose it does what it says on the lid, but non-technical users generally don't want to be bombarded with technical mount point names (sdcard0, sdcard01/emulated, etc...) It just lack user friendliness and adds too many "think points" that slow the user just trying to find a PDF file down. That's what I mean by Android's tendency to display too much clutter on the screen.

Last edited by ssbtech; 2016-02-07 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Missed a word...
post #75 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 03:03 PM

And BlackBerry had copy/paste long before iOS was even around.

And on BB10 it's brilliant too.
Long press on a word - highlights word. Longer press - highlights sentence. Longer still - highlights paragraph.

Can you get an upper case letter out of the iOS keyboard yet without having to hit "shift" first? Long press on the letter gives you upper-case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in