Blackberry Priv: Too little, too late? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-14, 11:27 AM
Veteran

Was at a Costco yesterday and asked at the wireless kiosk if they had one. Answer: yes, a non-functioning demo.

It wasn't tethered, so I was able to hand-hold without the distortion of weight perception caused by a coiled cord.

Immediate impression: it's HUGE and somewhat heavy, compared to my Galaxy SIII. Liked the keyboard layout. I can see where people are concerned about the sliding keyboard and it's durability. I'm looking to see one actually usable next.

I still have an old BlackBerry 8700, ancient by today's standards, but the scroll wheel is next to useless now. But I greatly liked the keyboard ergonomics on it, and prefer it over the GSIII's virtual keyboard.

Cameron

DAB listener 12/2003-11/2011 (DAB Off-Air since 11/2011)
HD radio Listener since 06/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-01-31, 11:54 PM
Rookie

Couple of guys at work bought Privs in December, both very happy with them.

I am tempted. My big issue is Rogers won't subsidize a phone for me unless I go to a more expensive plan, I don't want to as I get 6GB for $54. So... to pay $799 outright is a little painful.
post #48 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-01, 02:37 AM

Folks on the Crackberry forums seem to have a love/hate relationship with them. There have been some reports of poor build quality and many complaints that the Hub on Android isn't nearly as good as on BlackBerry's own OS. Which doesn't come as a surprise - it's an app on Android and fully integrated in BB10.

I don't see the Priv as being a general consumer phone - most don't want a keyboard (although you get the added benefits of it being a touch sensitive keyboard for scrolling) and there are plenty of quality Android (oxymoron?) phones for less.

post #49 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-05, 05:37 PM
Veteran

post #50 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-05, 08:53 PM

Guess I better stock up on some BB10 phones!
post #51 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-06, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

This sucks. Blackberry is dying. WinPhone is dying.

Android or Apple - and that's it.

Vive la difference...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...t-by-everyone/

Last edited by Abysmal; 2016-02-06 at 10:23 AM. Reason: add link
post #52 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-06, 01:56 PM

Consumers are all too happy to settle for mediocrity, sadly.
post #53 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-06, 07:04 PM
Veteran

Consumers are all too happy to settle for what works for them.

BB10 came too late and didn't have the app support consumers wanted right away. As such, many consumers felt that BB10 was mediocre - not the other way around.

We know you are a die-hard BB10 fanatic ssbtech, and that is perfectly fine. We also know you will not be able to convince us that our mobile OS platform of choice is "mediocre" and "bad quality."

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #54 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-06, 07:18 PM

And yet my sister at the Christmas dinner this year couldn't take a family portrait because her big, beautiful iPhone didn't have a shutter timer on it. But it's an iPhone so it must be better!

Most people get caught up in the app hype, and then use very few apps beyond what's built into the OS. The only reason they appreciate the apps on Android is because Google has done such a poor job of building core functionality into the phone in the first place.

I don't know, when I email documents and pictures to a client immediately from my phone and my colleague has to wait until he gets back to the office, that's a pretty big productivity hit. 8 years and Apple still hasn't figured this out.
post #55 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-06, 08:49 PM
Veteran

Not everyone needs the features you do.

As for the self timer though, iOS 8 brought that to the camera app.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/12/ios-8-...he-camera-app/

As for your email thing, I can do just fine with my Nexus. It also has a much better camera than any BlackBerry, and I can customize things a lot more as well. It was also cheaper than the Priv! Sure, it doesn't have a physical keyboard, but I've found I can't type fast on a BlackBerry keyboard, so onscreen keyboards are just fine for me.

So yes, for me, Android works incredibly well. It's not mediocre by any means for my usage

Also, BlackBerry has consistently overpriced their handsets, while not being able to easily demonstrate why they are worth the premium price to consumers. Aside from the BlackBerry Hub (which is neat), there really isn't much that your average smartphone buyer would see in a BlackBerry that would sway them away from the competition.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by BGY11; 2016-02-06 at 09:05 PM.
post #56 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-06, 09:38 PM

Overpriced? I don't know. I spend $200 on a brand new, unlocked Z30. I don't care for the physical keyboards, but the touch feature does make things like text selection quite nice.

Of course BB10 makes text selection ridiculously simple anyway. Long press highlights a word, longer press highlights a sentence, longer still and it highlights a paragraph. Excellent feature if you're trying to compile any sort of document or arrange thoughts in an email.

The hub isn't just "neat", it's an excellent timesaver and much more than a simple notification system.

And not being signed into Google tracking is a big plus, too.
post #57 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-06, 11:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
I don't know, when I email documents and pictures to a client immediately from my phone and my colleague has to wait until he gets back to the office, that's a pretty big productivity hit. 8 years and Apple still hasn't figured this out.
No idea what you're talking about. Didn't you try to make this claim before?

--
Neil
post #58 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-06, 11:35 PM

Did they finally fix that after the 8th revision of iOS?

I gave up waiting for them to catch up to a modern OS.
post #59 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 12:02 AM
Veteran

Much more likely that either your colleague is less than competent when using their phone or you're simply making things up.

--
Neil
post #60 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-07, 03:53 AM

Well again, it took them 8 revisions to add such a basic feature to the OS. Many had moved on by then when they realized it lacked this functionality.

Even with iOS9, it's a rather tedious process to add multiple files and types to an email at once.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in