Blackberry Priv: Too little, too late? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGY11 View Post
By your logic, if someone needs Facebook and it's not preloaded on the phone, it's a hassle to download from the Play Store. Neither Facebook, nor a file manager is a core app. If you need them, they're a quick download away (from a legitimate source preinstalled on the phone).
The advantage of having a file manager baked into the OS is that it provides a consistent interface for selecting/managing files from whatever app you're in. So instead of the email app loading up one interface for selecting files, and another interface comes up for browsing for files to send in an IM, or you're trying to locate a file in the middle of a meeting - it's all consistent which is important when you're trying to get things done as the familiarity improves the speed at which you can use the device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 03:51 PM
Veteran

Once again, the Document Manager is consistent across apps. If people want something that resembles how they do things on a desktop, it's super simple to grab something that works for them.

Seriously, you're making a big deal out of nothing here. Complaining for the sake of complaining, when pretty much ANY smartphone user would just go to the Play Store and grab a file manager if they really needed one.

If that's too hard to comprehend, perhaps you're better off sticking with your BB10 phone and leave it at that. I really have nothing more to say, as you obviously are stuck in your ways and simply believe nobody is willing to adapt to change.

Case closed.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
post #33 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
People will get all bent out of shape because they don't have an app to control the colour of their LED lightbulbs, but they'll gladly put off work because the phone lacks the basic functionality that the OS of any mobile phone should have.
What, exactly, can Android not do with regard to file manipulation that it should? It's not like it's hiding files away from you. Android does things differently than BB10, just like it does things differently than Windows Phone and iOS. What you're complaining about here isn't lack of functionality, it's a change in workflow. And not even a permanent one - you can make it work the way you want!

Quote:
If you only knew how many times I've had someone tell me they'd email me from the office because their "smartphone" phone is too fiddly or otherwise incapable of doing it.
And you think the problem is the difference between the document manager and a full-fledged file manager? That is, in a word, ludicrous. They can adjust to using an interface designed for a 5 inch screen and a touch keyboard, but if the file manager isn't consistent they just can't cope? The people you deal with would have just as much challenge on a BB10 device. It's not the workflow that's holding them back.

As I said, I regularly work off my phone, and the document manager suits me just fine. I obviously have the ability to go find a file manager, but I don't believe it would offer me an improved experience. the document manager is simple, straight-forward, and extremely easy to use.

Quote:
Folks have been complaining for years that iOS didn't handle email attachments nicely. Apple finally got around to doing something about it this year, but it's still half-baked. Oh well, they can make their LEDs dance while they snapchat with eachother instead.
Should they make sure they get off your lawn while doing it?

I've actually never had snapchat, and I don't have any Hue lightbulbs, but let's say for a minute that I did. What, pray tell, makes your use case more meaningful than mine? Why must your experiences and your needs be transposed onto everyone else? Who are you to pass judgement on what everyone else wants to do with their devices?

People have different needs and wants from their smartphones, and for you to suggest that their needs and wants are frivolous because they don't align with your own is, quite frankly, asinine. You're not that important.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

post #34 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 06:54 PM

Quote:

If you only knew how many times I've had someone tell me they'd email me from the office because their "smartphone" phone is too fiddly or otherwise incapable of doing it.
you need to spend time around smarter people then?
post #35 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 08:14 PM

I don't know that that's necessarily fair (though I understand that you weren't being entirely literal). Lots of perfectly capable and intelligent people have chosen to never invest the time in truly mastering their smartphones, just as their are plenty of similar people who have never quite mastered their PCs. I just don't see the barrier to entry for those people as being a small element of the workflow.

post #36 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 08:16 PM
Veteran

Comparing a mobile OS to Windows was a silly start in the first place.
post #37 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 11:19 PM
Veteran

In other news....

Was at a Rogers store today... Looked like possibly a Blackberry rep, or a Rogers trainer was in training 2 of the staff on the "features" of the new Priv... I let them take me for a test drive as they walked me through it... Had my kids with me so did not soak it all in .. IT was funny to have theme explain how great android was(im a androidfan). Kool little thing though i have not seen before was the ability to swipe a calendar app icon on the home screen and have it turn on its widget. Other apps/widgets could be swiped up for widget view. Neat. A brief explanation of DTEK security feature was pretty neat as well. Letting u know what apps maybe doing bad things in the background...

They had it on a tether so i could not really handle it well or get a sense of its weight. But it seemed light, looked pretty cool, the slide up keyboard...hmm i never used one, i worry about durability..

not sure im ready to give blackberry my money, i wish them the best, not sure i want to fund what could be there last phone or the first step in there next chapter of hardware..

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #38 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-11, 01:37 AM

Got my Priv today. Was never a BB user but my HTC One M7 was starting to show it's age.
There hasn't been any phone I've just had to have since the M7 so I thought I would support a Canadian company and give it a try.
Very happy so far. Swipe to widget is pretty slick, few other cool things without butchering the OS to much.

Hammered out a few texts with the physical keyboard. It's for sure faster than a touch screen and far less typos.
I also like that I don't have a virtual keyboard burning up half the screen, can see this being way better when replying to a longer email.

Day one so haven't had enough time to form any negatives. I read some reviews that said it was top heavy with the keyboard out. I find it well balanced, but I also have larger than average hands.

Quote:
People will get all bent out of shape because they don't have an app to control the colour of their LED lightbulbs, but they'll gladly put off work because the phone lacks the basic functionality that the OS of any mobile phone should have.

Folks have been complaining for years that iOS didn't handle email attachments nicely. Apple finally got around to doing something about it this year, but it's still half-baked. Oh well, they can make their LEDs dance while they snapchat with eachother instead.
I have iOS and Android phones and tablets in my house.
Approx 70% of the lighting in my house is Hue. They might have a deal with Apple but Android control is light years ahead of what iOS does.

Read a few other posts, while android isn't perfect and you might need to find a few apps etc.
It's capabilities are far beyond what any other mobile OS allows. That freedom does come at a bit of a cost but IMO it is well worth it.
At first I was some what overwhelmed by how android comes together, but now I wouldn't go any other way, nothing else allows you to personalize and customize like Android.
I'll be the first to admit, Android might not be your first choice if you aren't tech savy.
iOS seems to be a bit easier for people to use.

BB had it's time and ruled the productivity world for sometime, but those days are over
My work was all BB at one point, now they supply Android. My wife's work was also BB, now everyone has iPhone's and iPad's. She's not happy about that though, wants her BB back for work and loves her Android personal phone.

I'm hopeful the Priv works out for Blackberry, they've been left behind, Google and Apple will be the mobile OS kings for the foreseeable future.

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung
post #39 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-11, 09:44 AM

Worth noting that most of the BlackBerry services will install on other Android phones, including the launcher and virtual keyboard. Unfortunately, BlackBerry hasn't made them available through the Play Store, so they're hard to find.

post #40 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-11, 03:32 PM

played with one at work yesterday. I really didn't mind it

I might be one of the last guys out there, but I would have preferred the slider the other orientation

I really liked my old LG slider, and before that I had an OQO and would love to have a modern version of it
post #41 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-11, 05:40 PM

Bb10 user here, I looked at the priv in a bell store and thought it was quite nice. Hardware wise it was a little big for me but manageable, in winter at least when I'd have a coat pocket to put it in. I thought the pkb was a bit on the cramped side but I could probably get use to it. On the software side I found android fairly intuitive and seemed pretty responsive but I am much more comfortable with BlackBerry 10 obviously. This was my first exposure to Android. I hope the priv does well and keeps them in the hardware game.
post #42 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-12, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
Worth noting that most of the BlackBerry services will install on other Android phones, including the launcher and virtual keyboard.
The Hub on the Priv pales in comparison to the Hub on BB10. Anyone installing it thinking they're getting the "BlackBerry experience" is in for disappointment. The keyboard however is great and I'm sure the Priv version is the same as BB10.
post #43 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-12, 09:01 PM

The Priv version is actually a modified version of the Google keyboard, interestingly enough.

post #44 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-12, 09:11 PM

I think the BB10 version has SwiftKey underpinnings. It's the best I've tried by far. Something simple like not having to hit "shift" to get an uppercase letter is great.
post #45 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-12, 10:07 PM

My main complaint is Swiftkey doesn't play nice with the physical keyboard.
It's not bad but not as good as good as the stock on screen keyboard.
Problem is the stock on screen sucks compared to swiftkey.
I do find myself opting for the physical more and more as time goes on.

Sony 75" X940D, 7.1 Klipsch, Onkyo TX-NR656, Xbox One/360, Nvidia Shield Alienware Alpha, Arris Gateway, 42" Samsung

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in