Blackberry Priv: Too little, too late? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
A file explorer forces users to learn the architecture of their phone, which they should never have to learn.
When I load up and Android file explorer, I see what you mean - there's lots of stuff there to complicate the view for the user.

But if the file explorer is done correctly, it doesn't really force users into anything obscure. The BB10 file manager for example already hides the folders and directories the user has no business being in. You don't have to browse through all the root, user, accounts, system, etc... folders - the stuff you're likely to need is visible, all the system stuff is hidden.

It's a piece of cake to get to my SD card, DropBox, OneDrive and even my home PC (if it's running) from the stock BB10 file explorer - these are all in the "hamburger" menu.

If users shouldn't be exposed to the architecture of their phone (and I agree with you there) then they shouldn't be forced to go shopping for a file explorer either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 12:49 PM

The document manager can do all those things on Android, it just only becomes visible when an app calls on it (for example, when you attempt to attach to an email). The rest of the time, you can access those sources through their individual apps, which provide a better experience since they're tailored to the source.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #18 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 01:08 PM

When you have a mix of file types (some reports might be in DOC, others in PDF, etc...) then having to open those files through their respective application is tedious. I find it much more efficient to simply hope into File Explorer, navigate to where I know the files are and open them from there. I don't have to think in advance about what type the file is.

This is why I've always held the position that Android generally provides users with a fragmented, inconsistent experience - browsing for files while in the process of attaching them to an email is done through a different application/interface than opening files for viewing on the device. Whereas with BB10 it's the same file manager regardless of where you are and navigating it essentially becomes muscle memory.

Another thing I find incredibly handy is the ability to attach multiple files to an email in a single action.
If I want a PDF, DOC and a few JPGs all from different folders (or locations such as local, SD Card and OneDrive) it can all be done in one "attachment action". That is to say you don't have to attach files individually and hit the paperclip for each additional file. While Android file managers that I've used do allow you to select multiple files, that selection is cleared when you move up and out of that directory to go to another.

Fine, I get it. I don't have the option to choose from 8 different keyboards and installing an app that changes the colour of light bulbs in my bedroom takes an extra step, but the base OS has a far better "flow" to it than Android. I fear that the Priv is moving away from this efficient navigation.

I find it humorous that those who made fun of BB10 users having to take extra steps to get apps such as using "Snap" are now advocating that the additional steps to get a file manager onto their device suddenly constitutes "choice and customizability".

post #19 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 03:26 PM
Veteran

Looks like the Priv sold in the US will have something Canadians won't have.

Clearing up confusion about wireless charging on the BlackBerry Priv | MobileSyrup.com
post #20 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 03:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
I find it humorous that those who made fun of BB10 users having to take extra steps to get apps
Like who?
post #21 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP View Post
Like who?
It's been commented on here in other BlackBerry threads that it was a silly extra step in an attempt to close the app-gap.

As for wireless charging - IMO it's more novelty than practical. A friend with a Galaxy has nothing but problems with it, and with a 3,000+ mAh battery you won't be needing to charge it often anyway.
post #22 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 03:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
It's been commented on here in other BlackBerry threads that it was a silly extra step in an attempt to close the app-gap.
You're ignoring the 2nd part of your comment. Who is this person that once made fun and is now advocating choice?

Quote:
As for wireless charging - IMO it's more novelty than practical. A friend with a Galaxy has nothing but problems with it, and with a 3,000+ mAh battery you won't be needing to charge it often anyway.
I use it every single day. I have 3 charging pads (by the bed, computer desk and at my work desk). Even works through my Ballistic case. I will miss it, though, because my next phone won't have it either, but it works really well once you have a good pad.
post #23 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 03:44 PM

Quote:
You're ignoring the 2nd part of your comment. Who is this person that once made fun and is now advocating choice?
You expect me to remember what everyone says on this forum?

Generally speaking, users who have been opposed to BB10 due to the "app gap" have turned their noses up at the idea of using 3rd party app stores to fix the problem. Ironically, they're the same (group of) people who use a platform that requires they invest time in figuring out simple things like how to manage files on their device.
post #24 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 03:47 PM
Veteran

You made a comment that included the now. Shouldn't be too hard to remember about the now. But I get it now. You were generalizing and trying to make it relevant.
post #25 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 03:55 PM

Quote:
You made a comment that included the now. Shouldn't be too hard to remember about the now. But I get it now. You were generalizing and trying to make it relevant.
Ok, fine, if you really must go there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
I am well familiar with Snap. Snap is the very definition of a hack. You have to side-load it, which means that the average user may not even know about it, let alone be able to figure out how to do it.
So sideloading an app so you can go get the rest of the stuff you need is a hack, but having to hunt for a file manager that should have been included in the core OS is considered "choice".
post #26 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 04:10 PM
Veteran

If you're unable to distinguish between side load and going to the play store, no amount of explaining will work for you.
post #27 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 05:51 PM

Quote:
When you have a mix of file types (some reports might be in DOC, others in PDF, etc...) then having to open those files through their respective application is tedious. I find it much more efficient to simply hope into File Explorer, navigate to where I know the files are and open them from there. I don't have to think in advance about what type the file is.
That's not what I meant. You use the app native to the source, not the file type. For example, I use the Google Drive app to navigate Google Drive. If I had Dropbox, I'd use the Dropbox app. Those apps are tailored to those services, and match the experience users will have with the web versions. Local files are stored in downloads, and Android ships with a download manager.

Maybe you'd rather have a single app manage them all, but that's a subjective preference (and one you can still easily fulfill). It is not objectively better.

Quote:
This is why I've always held the position that Android generally provides users with a fragmented, inconsistent experience - browsing for files while in the process of attaching them to an email is done through a different application/interface than opening files for viewing on the device.
If you can't figure out the document manager, you're not going to be able to manage any kind of file explorer. It's about the simplest app/interface imaginable.

Quote:
I find it humorous that those who made fun of BB10 users having to take extra steps to get apps such as using "Snap" are now advocating that the additional steps to get a file manager onto their device suddenly constitutes "choice and customizability".
There are two huge and obvious differences here. The first is that the Play Store ships with every Android phone with Google services, and using it to find apps is an expected use case for which the phone is designed. Side loading a third party service in order to gain questionable access to the Play Store was not something BlackBerry intended when they designed BB10.

Secondly, the average user will never miss having a file manager. Like I said, I haven't used one in years, and I use my phone for work purposes regularly - the document manager does the job just fine. People seem to manage fine with iPhones. On the other hand, I think the average user will miss having access to a robust app store.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2015-11-09 at 06:19 PM.
post #28 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 09:35 PM

Quote:
If you're unable to distinguish between side load and going to the play store, no amount of explaining will work for you.
All I'm saying is that you shouldn't have to go searching for core apps to download just to make the device usable. To say that's reasonable while at the same time laughing at the need to sideload ONE app onto BB10 is silly.
post #29 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 04:11 AM
Veteran

The device is usable without a file manager. If you insist on doing things the old-fashioned way, a quick search in the Play Store will find what you need (and I'm sure any smartphone user is familiar with how simple it is to download an app from the Play Store).

Again, look at iPhone - the single most popular series of phones out there (tens of millions sold each quarter). The fact these have NO file manager, yet are still extremely popular with consumers and even businesses says that a file manager app isn't super crucial when alternatives exist.

By your logic, if someone needs Facebook and it's not preloaded on the phone, it's a hassle to download from the Play Store. Neither Facebook, nor a file manager is a core app. If you need them, they're a quick download away (from a legitimate source preinstalled on the phone).

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
post #30 of 155 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 12:18 PM

People will get all bent out of shape because they don't have an app to control the colour of their LED lightbulbs, but they'll gladly put off work because the phone lacks the basic functionality that the OS of any mobile phone should have.

If you only knew how many times I've had someone tell me they'd email me from the office because their "smartphone" phone is too fiddly or otherwise incapable of doing it.

Folks have been complaining for years that iOS didn't handle email attachments nicely. Apple finally got around to doing something about it this year, but it's still half-baked. Oh well, they can make their LEDs dance while they snapchat with eachother instead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in