Blackberry Priv: Too little, too late? - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-13, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
it's getting there chief~

email has been replaced for quick communication by multitudes of chat programs or texting

online collaboration has been taken up by tons of cloud services

video chat is finally a reality

it's just mostly the older folks clinging to email
By "older folks" I can only assume you meant "the vast majority of the business world". None of my business contacts have ever offered to text me information. That statement is just outright weird.
ssbtech likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-13, 12:02 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I get texts on my work phone, but much, much more email.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #138 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-13, 12:42 PM

It's guys like you on tech forums posting links like that that helped to quickly discredit BB10. iOS isn't without its reliability/stability/performance flaws either.

post #139 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-13, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
By "older folks" I can only assume you meant "the vast majority of the business world". None of my business contacts have ever offered to text me information. That statement is just outright weird.
Haven't you heard? Snapchat is quickly becoming the leading corporate communication platform of choice for Fortune 500s!
post #140 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-13, 01:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
It's guys like you on tech forums posting links like that that helped to quickly discredit BB10. iOS isn't without its reliability/stability/performance flaws either.
iOS has many flaws. No one here has claimed any version was close to being perfect, just good enough that the iOS ecosystem (OS, mobile devices, apps, services) can easily hold its own against competing ecosystems, especially ones that are niche, like the BB10. But statements like BB10 "pretty much nailed it right when it landed" aren't going to go unchallenged.

--
Neil
post #141 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-13, 01:30 PM

BB10 nailed the usability/workflow aspect is what I was getting at. Navigating a BB10 device is considerably better than an Android device.
post #142 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-13, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
By "older folks" I can only assume you meant "the vast majority of the business world".
nope, just literally older folks

I've got 20 years on at the telco, and while email is used for distribution lists, no one uses it for one on one contact much anymore. we've had video calling, and chat apps for well over a decade now

let me preface this by saying that email is going away the way voice calling is going away

yeah lots still use it, but it's not the first choice for communication anymore (except amongst older folks)
post #143 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-13, 06:13 PM
Veteran

So what do the "young folk" use to send documents, report and follow up on issues, send status reports, etc.?
Davage and ssbtech like this.

--
Neil
post #144 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-13, 06:14 PM
Veteran

Faxes.....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
ssbtech and Wheelman like this.
post #145 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-13, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilN View Post
So what do the "young folk" use to send documents, report and follow up on issues, send status reports, etc.?
Most of the applications used are collaboration or cloud based. there's not a lot of group emails going around anymore, when everything is updated in this manner

the volume of email we see at work has dropped probably 95% compared to a decade ago, and as we're the main ISP in the region, can see the volume of email overall has greatly decreased compared to its peak
post #146 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-13, 06:22 PM
Veteran

We still use email extensively at work. From a liability perspective, emails are valid records.
Davage and ssbtech like this.
post #147 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-13, 06:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Most of the applications used are collaboration or cloud based. there's not a lot of group emails going around anymore, when everything is updated in this manner
That would never fly for us when communicating with clients.
Davage, ssbtech and Abysmal like this.

--
Neil
post #148 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-13, 09:53 PM

and that's fine

there's always the right tool, for the right job

all I'm saying is that email isn't the killer app that it used to be, the thing that originally made the BB the must have device

that's it, no more, no less

there's a TON of other mobile options now, and in general email (on the phone) is well down the list as communication choice
post #149 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-14, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
yeah lots still use it, but it's not the first choice for communication anymore (except amongst older folks)
Well no kidding. Within an inter-office environment, you're going to communicate with others within that framework.

My business deals with clients outside the confines of my office space - getting them to join our inter office methods would be ludicrous. I can imagine the look on the head of a hospital's IT if I said, "Just text me with the info, or better yet, Facebook message me. What's your instagram handle?"

Yeah, email is not going anywhere soon.
post #150 of 155 (permalink) Old 2016-02-14, 11:42 AM
Veteran

I think the proprietary nature of email alternatives is what's keeping email a primary means of communication.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in