Nexus 6P - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-05, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Nexus 6P

I'm thinking of getting a Nexus 6P, probably through Telus. For any experienced Nexus users out there... if it's bought on contract through a carrier such as Telus, does it still get updates straight from Google? Is there any carrier tampering that occurs, or is it for all intents and purposes the same as a unlocked version you'd get buy purchasing it outright (with the exception of being locked to Telus, I'm sure).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-05, 03:07 PM
Digital Sage

Unless it has changed, which I doubt it has, all Nexus phones are unlocked and come free of carrier bloatware.

They also get updates directly from Google.

Android rocks!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-05, 03:33 PM

As I am also interested in this, from all my reading - the Nexus phones ordered directly from the Google Store are identical to the ones you get from Rogers: unlocked, carrier bloatware free, and eligible to receive Android updates immediately from Google.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-05, 05:25 PM

I got this phone a few days ago.

Best new feature is the finger sensor. It is fast and reliable.

I really like the USB Type C. I did not appreciate how much of a nuisance the old USBs were. Once connected, the connection feels more snug and secure. Downside is the lack of the Type C wires around the house and cars.

The power switch is on the same side as the volume switch and they are very close to each other. I keep changing the volume by accident, and often I see the message "Power Off" when I am trying to change volume.

Otherwise, it is a great phone. The screen is amazing, the speaker sound is better than previous Nexus phones. I still own all of the previous except the Nexus 6.

Do get the "Adopted" bumper for the phone. It is the best bumper I have ever used.

Cheers,
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-05, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback! I'm becoming increasingly convinced I'll pick one up. Less expensive than a Note 5 and I'm very interested in trying out the pure Android OS.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-05, 11:12 PM
Veteran

Nexus phones are all known to come unlocked and supported by Google's updates. This is no different with the 5X and 6P. I just ordered the 6P this week. Make sure to read the Google engineer's reviews/posts about the various USB Type-C products out there. Many are out of specs and not worth the money. If you're looking for extra cables/chargers, that is.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-06, 06:24 AM

My Nexus 5 may be missing Rogers bloatware but it has a whole set of Google bloatware which I'll never use and can't be uninstalled.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-06, 10:01 AM
Veteran

I really wouldn't compare Google's apps with carrier bloatware. It really is no big deal. You get the same from Apple.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-06, 01:46 PM
Veteran

I ordered a Nexus 6P on Oct 29 (Aluminum, 64GB) - with a extra USB Type-C cable - and it's supposed to be delivered on ~Nov 17.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-06, 05:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Downside is the lack of the Type C wires around the house and cars.
Adapters should be available.

Quote:
I really wouldn't compare Google's apps with carrier bloatware.
IIRC, you can now delete some apps that you couldn't before. I haven't checked though.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-06, 06:13 PM
Veteran

Mine is in transit - 64GB silver one.

I have now had:

Nexus One - great phone - loved this one - it hooked me on Android and the Nexus line.

Galaxy Nexus - worst phone I have ever owned. Swore off Samsung after this.

Nexus 5 - Decent phone. Has been a real workhorse.

Nexus 6P - ?
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-07, 01:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
Adapters should be available.
There are many "out of specs" cables and adapters out there that could damage your charger or computer (if you charge from a computer USB port). In fact, right now, it seems like there are more "out of specs" cables than proper ones. Be careful which you buy right now.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-07, 03:46 PM
Veteran

^^^^
I would expect that damage would occur with power supplies, as USB C supports much higher voltage and power than older specs. A flakey cable, connected to a standard 5V power supply or computer port is not likely to cause problems. USB C supports negotiating power supply output voltage and there could be an issue there.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-07, 04:37 PM
Veteran

These out of specs cables will report themselves as 5A regardless of the power source making the phone draw much more power than the source can provide. There is no negotiation.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-07, 09:41 PM
Veteran

I've used a Nexus One, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, and Nexus 5. I skipped the Nexus S and Nexus 6, and I'll have a 6P soon.

Of the Nexus phones I've used, the Nexus 5 was definitely the best one. The Nexus One and Nexus 4 both had issues with buggy hardware. The Nexus 4 in particular (along with the Nexus 7 2013) didn't work with particular WiFi 5GHz bands and had a number of design issues (like sliding off the orb wireless charger that you could get for the Nexus 4). Oh, and I think battery life on the Nexus 4 was stunningly bad.

The Nexus One would reboot frequently when attempting to use it the car as a GPS device. It's like it would overheat and reboot, I searched the Internet and found lots of people with the same problem.

The Galaxy Nexus wasn't terrible, but the screen, while being high resolution for the time wasn't very good at low brightness settings (for reading at night). It was also disappointing that Google stopped providing software updates ~18 months after the phone was released.

The Nexus 5 is actually a really solid phone, aside from having worse battery life than I'd like.

Honestly, if I could get a Nexus 5, make it thicker so that I'd get about double the battery size (~4500mAh), then that would be a perfect phone! Oh, and double the RAM to 4GB because Java sucks.

The thing I'm most looking forward to in the Nexus 6P is the rapid battery charging. The thing I'm looking forward to the least is the larger screen. I was considering a Nexus 5X, but it would take longer to ship, and the battery size improvements over the Nexus 5 just wasn't all that much. If the 5X had 3GB of RAM like the 6P I would have probably gone with that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in