Nexus 6P - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 02:58 PM
Veteran

Uh Oh. Lots of reports that the back piece of glass is spontaneously shattering for a bunch of folks. Possibly due to temperature changes and the aluminum squeezing the glass, causing it to shatter.

Mine says it is out for delivery today, and we just had our first snowfall. Hopefully it won't be shattered before I take it out of the box!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 03:54 PM
Veteran

I ended up ordering the 5X instead. I bought a very cheap 6P case just to get the feel of the size for a few days and couldn't do it. It's just too big. In addition, the 6P has a repairability of 2 on iFixit. Changing the battery of my current Nexus 5 is super easy and it is even easier on the 5X.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 04:05 PM
Veteran

I was also considering a 5X, but the thing that pushed me to the 6P was that it reportedly had better battery life, and I want to get as much battery life as possible.

Oh, and the 3GiB of RAM is much nicer than 2GiB because Java eats memory.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 06:13 PM
Veteran

I am not sure I am going to like the size either. Time will tell, I guess. The thing that pushed me to the 6P over the 5X was the better camera. For me, I find that all these devices will pretty much do what I want now, it is almost becoming stale and boring. One thing that I do use a lot, is the camera, and I want a decent one. No phone will touch my dSLR, but I always have my phone with me, so if I want a snap, I want it to be as good as possible.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-09, 06:15 PM
Veteran

Isn't the rear camera identical between the 5X and 6P?
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 05:18 AM
Veteran

The camera is the same, but the 6P does 240p slo-mo and has stabilization when recording video I believe. It also doesn't have the issue of upside-down photos on 3rd party camera apps using an older camera API

http://www.androidcentral.com/google...re-upside-down

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Something to be aware of are some reports that the glass facing on the rear camera has spontaneously cracked for some people.

Nexus 6P Owners Report Spontaneous Rear Panel Cracking | Digital Trends

There's been no word yet from either Google or Huawei on the issue, which some speculate is due to the glass not having a shock ring around it. I've got a 6P on order so hopefully there will be more information in the coming days.

Edit: Oh... I didn't look at the second page here to see that it was already reported.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 03:24 PM
Veteran

Actually, the camera feature on the 6P that intrigued me the most is the burst feature. Most of the snaps I take with a phone are pets and kids. Both are moving around a lot, and as I am sure you are aware, trying to capture a good shot of a running dog or kid with a cell phone is super difficult due to the lag. I was thinking the burst mode would allow me to just take a bunch and hope the winner is in there.

Still haven't used my 6P

Charged it up, open it up to put the SIM in it, and realize that it needs a NanoSIM, whereas my Nexus 5 has a micro SIM. I probably could just cut and sand it thinner, but I'll probably just run down to a WIND store and grab a new one.

Question: I want to use my old Nexus 5 as my home phone and port my existing number to it. If I move my existing cell number to the new 6P, can the old SIM still be used in the Nexus 5 for a new phone number, or will they make me fork over another $25 for a new micro SIM too?
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 04:36 PM
Veteran

My understanding is that all cell companies will only let you have one functional SIM card per phone number.

Because I use a number of different phones, I just use a nano sim and I have adapters for the larger sizes where I "pop" the nano sim into a small plastic frame and put it into a Nexus 5. That's what I do when switching back and forth between a iPhone and my Nexus 5.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00AR1M7DK
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 05:28 PM

SIM cards are one and done, sadly. So you'll have to get a new one for a new service.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 05:32 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think I was very clear with what I would like:

1. Transfer my existing Wind account to the Nexus 6P by buying a nano-SIM. This I am certain is not a problem - a routine procedure.

2. Port my existing land line from Telus to Wind, using my now old Nexus 5 with its existing micro-SIM, which would have been deactivated after transferring my account to the 6P. Basically, I just want to re-use the old SIM card to save myself $25. Is a SIM card dead after it has been used?

EDIT: just saw the above post! perhaps it isn't possible. In any event, I'll ask at Wind in the unlikely event they can re-use the SIM since the account would still be in my name, and they would be stealing an account from Telus.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-10, 10:33 PM
Veteran

I had my Telus GS3 unlocked. And then used it as a home phone with a Rogers sim card by porting my bell land line to Rogers.
I had to buy a Rogers sim card to make it happen

Back to the topic of the thread

Im probably going to do an early upgrade. My LG G3 is acting up.. random rebooting and bootlooping at times(stock not rooted)

And the NOTE5 and the NEXUS 6P are on my list. At first glance the note just looks great. I have yet to see a functioning 6P im hoping BB has them turned on as Rogers store just had the dummy...

-i love the wireless charging of the note
-i want the new usb of the Nexus
can i not have both?

I am worried about some of the build issues that may or may not be wide spreadon the 6P....

those of you that ordered the 6P was the note5 on your short list and what swayed your decision?

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-11, 10:48 AM

Does anyone know the status of VoLTE and the Nexus 6P with Rogers?

And for those interested - I received my Nexus 6P (Frost 128GB) from Google on Monday (ordered before the weekend on Friday). So far I couldn't be happier with it!

I am a 2-year Galaxy Note 3 user and while the screen size is the same (5.7"), the phones physically feel -very- different in the hand. The Note 3 is thicker and shorter and generally feels easier to grip. The button placement is very different between them too which is taking some getting used to; the Nexus 6P buttons are all on the middle right side which feels a bit awkward, at least during these early times with it.

Performance wise, the Nexus 6P is incredible - it absolutely flies, gliding in and out of apps better than any other device I have. I think the real lesson here is that benchmarks simply do not paint an accurate picture of real-world performance. The Nexus 6P is not the top scorer in terms of benchmark numbers, but versus the Note 5 (which arguably is) - the 6P is at least as good and possibly better since it has much better memory management than the Samsung devices. Those phones have notoriously aggressive memory management that kills off running apps prematurely for reasons only Samsung seems to know. This ends up creating a very uneven and inconsistent response experience for users. The 6P by comparison is extremely fluid when multi-tasking between apps - it really is a joy to use.

So at this early point, I am very happy with the performance of the Nexus 6P.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-11, 11:56 AM
Veteran

Gahhh... My Nexus 5X order hasn't shipped yet so I cancelled it. 64GB Nexus 6P on order now.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 2015-11-11, 05:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26
those of you that ordered the 6P was the note5 on your short list and what swayed your decision?
I'm more concerned about software quality over hardware quality, and most Android vendors "add value" to Android by adding some slow/bloated code and by failing to release updated versions of Android on a timely basis.

So, the further a hardware vendor's version of Android deviates from "stock" Android the worse it is.

This is my opinion, but when the security Armageddon hits, I want my patches ASAP.

(No, I didn't consider a Samsung device.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in