Android remote control apps for Samsung HT gear? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-09-19, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Location: Alberta, Yamaha RX-V1700, LG 60" Plasma, BD-F7500, Post Audio & Energy spkrs, Paradigm PDR-12 Sub
Android remote control apps for Samsung HT gear?

I just purchased an unlocked Galaxy Note Edge. I also have a Samsung BD-F7500 Blu-ray player. Has anyone downloaded any useful remote control apps for Samsung products? What do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-09-19, 09:33 AM
Veteran

There are many out there. Frankly, I'd also love to know which ones are worth downloading. I had bought my wife the Note 3 specifically because it has an IR port. But here we are, a year and a half later, and I still haven't downloaded any apps. I heard that TouchSquid is a good one (universal remote) but I find it hard to shell out $40 for an app.

Most if not all new devices can be controlled over IP (if they are on the home wifi or wired network). I know there are brand-specific (or device-specific) apps that let you control your device (for example, the BellFibe remote app). Most of these devices have published their APIs so it should be possible to have a universal remote app that controls the devices via IP, no need for an IR blaster or line-of-sight.

How would I even search for that in the PlayStore?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-09-19, 09:45 AM

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-09-19, 08:27 PM

Peel Smart Remote - free

Samsung used to preload a free app called Samsung WatchON. It looks like the app is being distributed directly by the developer now (Peel Smart Remote - free.) I can't comment on how well it works, since when I tried to use it a few months ago, I found out my Galaxy Tab model didn't have an IR blaster.
Quote:
Reliably control your TV, set-top box, DVD player, Blu-ray, Roku, Apple TV, audio system, and home appliances like air conditioners and heaters, using the built-in infrared IR blaster on your smartphone
Here's a link to the Google Play Store. They have 4 apps listed but I think they are all the same.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...el.samsung.app
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-09-19, 08:43 PM

Peel Smart Remote

I've used this free app periodically, and I'm satisfied with it.

Configuration is easy, and you can set up groups of devices by room and control them all.

What I like most is that it's also a guide and you can edit available channels and desired prog;ramming types. If you see a program you like, just click on it, and it will tune to that channel for you.

Definitely recommended.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-09-19, 11:13 PM

2nd for Peel/watchon as well

I've got it setup on both tablet and phone, and use it when I set the real remote out of range for some reason

it's nice especially for tv, as you can browse what's on, then tap the show, and the remote will tune the stb to that channel. it's great
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-09-25, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Location: Alberta, Yamaha RX-V1700, LG 60" Plasma, BD-F7500, Post Audio & Energy spkrs, Paradigm PDR-12 Sub
I'll definitely try out Peel. It was already loaded on my phone, so I may as well give it a shot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in