Microsoft Gets Out Of Smartphone Manufacturing - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 2015-07-09, 05:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The three focus groups now are low end, business, and flagship. About damn time!
Forget about low end. That market is more crowded than a dance club on Friday night. MS needs to focus on high end and business, especially business.

Quote:
the 'Continuum' thing where you can hook it up to a monitor and keyboard/mouse and use it as a mini-computer with a full Windows desktop.
I would love this. Only it needs to be a very easy hookup. A wireless cradle with anti-theft features that does charging and full keyboard, mouse and large touch screen connectivity would be ideal. MS needs to differentiate themselves significantly to get market share back from Apple and Google. The only way they will do that is by fully leveraging all the features of Windows using highly innovative technology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 2015-07-09, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
I've been wondering how Nokia might get back into the mobile phone business again if/when their Microsoft agreement ends. I don't think a new Nokia mobile phones unit would risk starting over by using somebody else's product like that. Interestingly, the Jolla project has just announced that they are getting out of the hardware side of the business. How convenient it would be for Nokia to buy them out and take over the Sailfish OS. That's just an idea of my own, not anything I've read or heard. Android is always a possibility, I agree, but Nokia's work on the QT5 Toolkit can still be resuscitated since that UI environment can be bolted onto almost any UNIX-like OS, such as Android-Linux, iOS, OS X, QNX, etc. etc. so the possibilities are certainly out there for a fresh UI start.
Essentially Nokia can either launch their "own" OS (whether that's Jolla or forked Android, which they'd pretty much have to do to use QT, or something entirely different) or they can license someone else's OS (almost certainly Android).
Launching their own OS would have the best pay-off, if it succeeds, but that success would not come easily. Ask BlackBerry or Microsoft how that goes. Putting aside the app ecosystem issue (which is huge), does Nokia even have the staff to keep up with Apple and Google on development of something like that any more?

I think that developing Android devices is by far the most likely option. They've already dipped their toes in that water with the Android tablet they've released. They have a launcher already developed. They could still do some level of customization to the OS without losing Google apps (including the Play Store). It doesn't have the same pay-off, but it doesn't have nearly the same risk.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 2015-07-09, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Forget about low end. That market is more crowded than a dance club on Friday night. MS needs to focus on high end and business, especially business.
If you want to be a real player, you need to have options available in the low-end. Most new smartphone buyers start there. If you're buying a smartphone for your kids, or anyone else who isn't 100% sure smartphones are for them, are you buying them a Galaxy S6 or a Moto E? Or, if you prefer, an iPhone 6 or a second-hand iPhone 4?

At least a token offering in the sub-$200 range is important.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 2015-07-09, 07:49 PM

"Forget about low end. That market is more crowded than a dance club on Friday night. MS needs to focus on high end and business, especially business."

If they forget about low end, then they're abandoning their healthy market share in places like India....
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 2015-07-11, 11:13 PM

Exclamation Off topic posts removed

Several off topic posts regarding "RT" have been removed.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 2015-07-12, 02:33 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Income from patent licensing is just one possibility.
Are you talking about Google/Motorola or do you mean Microsoft is going to license Nokia patents to third-parties?
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 2015-07-12, 12:11 PM
Veteran

Why not? Many companies have huge revenue streams from patent licensing. (Sony is one example of this. MS has attempted it but with limited success.) Another possibility is cross-licensing of patents. It's a very useful way of incorporating popular new features while warding off law suits over the use of those features.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 2015-07-12, 02:05 PM
Veteran

While selling a large number of low end smartphones doesn't boost the bottom line, it does make your platform relevant in the eyes of developers, which makes the platform relevant in the eyes of customers.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 2015-07-12, 02:11 PM
Veteran

The key word is selling low end phones. MS hasn't had much luck with that. There really isn't much of a market for low end phones in NA. Asia is a different story but MS doesn't sell much of anything there.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 2015-07-12, 07:28 PM
Veteran

Microsoft/Nokia sold tens of millions of Lumia 520 devices.

I doubt developers care what region their customers are in. A customer is a customer. Unless you can charge customers who have more expensive/faster devices more than customers who have lower end devices, I don't see the difference from a developer's perspective.

The main advantage that Windows has over Android is that Windows apps primarily use native code, whereas a significant chunk of Android code runs Java, thus, is more bloated. On low end hardware Windows just runs better.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 2015-07-12, 11:07 PM
Veteran

I stand corrected. Nokia did sell a few Nokia Windows phones. Over 12 million sold and it barely made a dent in Apple or Samsung's sales. (Windows phone sales appear to have taken up some of Blackberry's market loss but not all of it.) It didn't do them much good though. I guess their loss is Foxconn's (or some other Chinese manufacturer's) gain.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 2015-07-13, 06:45 PM

Microsoft's Windows head: New premium Lumia Windows 10 phones are coming 'soon' | Windows Central

And it confirms there is NO plan to stop manufacturing phones. Someone really needs to change the thread title as it is an invention.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 2015-07-13, 10:40 PM
Veteran

This is a bit old but there are still some areas where Windows Phone has more market share than iPhone.

Here Are 24 Countries Where Windows Phone Outsells The iPhone (And Why It Does) - Forbes
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 2015-07-13, 11:21 PM
Veteran

This technology cycle (the iPhones era) is mature, with two very dominant emergents. Apple is the perceived premium option, and Android for the masses. Anyone else has got as much chance as OS/2 Warp. (Disclaimer: I loved Warp and was a big advocate)

MSFT needs to think ahead to the next era and not get caught with their pants around their ankles like Ballmer and Balsillie were. Oh, and don't forget Elop kneeling in front of Ballmer. There's a very special place in Hell for him.

This battle is lost, time to think about the next battlefront.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 2015-07-14, 12:36 AM
Veteran

I notice the article does not say who is actually manufacturing the new Windows 10 phones. If MS is smart, they will farm the hardware design and manufacturing out to Foxconn and forget about Nokia for anything but basic design. MS certainly doesn't need Nokia to make Windows 10 or a phone for it to run on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in