What is the Best Way to watch movies from my Tablet onto my PC (more info) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-12-25, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

What is the Best Way to watch movies from my Tablet onto my PC (more info)

Helo, Just to start off, I'm NOT an amatuer when it comes to these devices, im more of an intermediate , but im no way an expert. I know how to use tablets and such, I happen to OWN a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, its model is called 10.1. Its a very nice tablet, now I did what most intelligent people would do, is go to the Computer store, and ask what is required to connect this to my TV, even though this is the most simplest thing to do, not all sales agents are trained equal so my experience was touchy, one guy wanted to sell me a MHTL cable do hickey thing a ma bob, which is suppose to connect to the usb charging port of my tablet and then it would allow me to connect an HDMI cable so i can watch what ever is on my tablet onto my Hi Definition Television Screen. WRONG. The sales guy was not educated, was making assumption that it would work on my tablet, me being the guy I am never jump ahead and buy things without first doing my homework, said i'll think about it to the guy, went home and researched that my tablet 10.1 does not support the so called mhtl cable connector, so it would be a paper wait, and possibly a waste of money cus no refunds, even if the store associate made a mistake.

There goes that idea, pffft, out the door

Now i did some research on my own and i found out about a thingy called Samsung All Share Cast Dongle and another thing called Google Crome.
I am now caught between the two, supposedly the AllShare Cast dongle only works with samsung tablets but the Google crome hdmi stick works with every tablets out there not just google androids.

I also dont want to have to deal with unsupported, i just want to plug it in and have it work, i heard the google crome cast has incompatibilities with certain apps? im looking to stream my Crave TV, TMN Go, and Net Flicks from my Tablet onto my TV but i would not mind it being wireless, if peopel come over i dont want to have cables all over the floor for them to trip over.

The All Cast Share is 99 bucks, and is hard to find, most stores are sold out or sell it online only, but the Crome Cast is 35 bucks, ive seen it on sale for $25 for boxing day, the crome cast is smaller and gets power from the usb port on my flat screen tv but the all share cast dongle gets power from my android wall charger so i cant power both at the same time and the cable may not reach where i need it to.

well, what do u think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-12-25, 04:24 PM

I've used an MHL adapter dongle on a Samsung Tab4, and while it works, it's not a perfect solution. High data rate video lags, often causing audio sync issues. Very annoying. And you must co-locate your tablet with the TV.

I've used Google Chromecast, and it's a good solution. There are plenty of free apps that allow you to cast content...for both iOS and Android. It works with Netflix, YouTube and with a free app you can cast content stored on your tablet. You can keep your tablet with you, which enables you to use it as a remote control.

The latest SVOD services in Canada, Shomi and Crave, don't yet support Chomecast. But they both indicate that support is coming soon.

One potential drawback is that Chromecast requires WiFi. Though a recent software update enables "visitor mode" which allows devices to stream content directly to the dongle without signing onto the Wifi network.

I came across a strange issue recently where the Samsung tablet couldn't "see" the Chromecast dongles in our home. It turns out that the date and time must be accurate on your tablet for the dongle to work (a battery drain had killed the clock on the tablet). FYI for those having similar issues....

All in all, for $35 and support for iOS and Android, Chromecast is probably the best value.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-12-25, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

thanks, but the thing that really irks me about crome cast, in this day and age, why do they need to write special apps that need to be compatible? why cant it be compatible with the entire tablet, like why cant i have it so EVERYTHING i see on my tablet screen i can see on the flat screen big screen TV set?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-12-25, 05:39 PM

There are apps which mirror your screen on Chromecast.

The advantage of course is that you can access other apps while casting to your TV. Great if you check the 'net while watching, etc.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-12-25, 06:43 PM
Veteran

Chromecast works very well...+1
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-12-25, 07:37 PM
Veteran

I have a "smart" tv as my main set and a Chromecast on the bedroom TV. The main tv has built-in wireless but playing anything HD from my tablet was pretty much useless. When I switched from Rogers to Bell Fibe they located the router next to the TV so I hooked both the TV and the PS3 directly into the router (wired) and the difference was phenomenal. So, first thing first, if you have a smart TV, make sure it's wired up.

Using my main set up, I usually use the BubbleUPnP app on my tablet (Android) to stream content directly to the DLNA-compatible TV. I tried XBMC running in media server mode on my tablet but that meant I had to use the TVs remote to browse for content and to control playback; I prefer using my tablet for this, so I've now stuck with Bubble.

For mirroring the tablet screen I tried a "special" HDMI cable (the table is a Google Nexus 7 and it requires a special/expensive cable; I got one on eBay from China and it just didn't work). Bubble will play any downloaded video (it even streams external subtitles -- a .srt file with the same base name as the video). The smart tv has Netflix and YouTube apps (and some others) but the generic screen mirroring was not possible (even if I was willing to spend more money for the proper cable, it's still a cable going from my tablet to the back of the TV -- not ideal).

On the upstairs setup, I have several apps that support the Chromecast device (Netflix, Bubble, TwonkyBeam). I tried an earlier version of a screen mirroring app (not from Playstore) and it wasn't very good, however it's possible that the one from Google itself is better. Even though the Chromecast is wireless, I don't have any problems casting HD content (even though the wireless router is downstairs). I don't really know why it works but I'm not complaining.

Interesting thing about the Chromecast device, is that it's hard-coded to use Goggle's DNS server. This does affect Netflix. I have my tablet configured to use the ProxyDNS server ($3/month gets me US based stuff) but when I try to cast to the Chromecast device it won't get past 15-20% buffering. It works kind of funny -- the tablet initiates the Netflix login and content selection, but I believe after that the Chromecast device itself connects directly to Netflix. I didn't click to stop quickly enough one time, watching a serial TV show, and it started playing the next episode. I stopped the Netflix app on the tablet (removed it from recent apps list, even) but the show continued playing on the TV. I thought it was just buffered content, but 15 minutes later it was still playing, even after I powered down my tablet. This likely explains why I can't play US contents upstairs (but if I get a screen mirroring app it might work).
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-12-26, 08:57 AM
Veteran

ChromeCast is $29 and Staples and BestBuy, probably others. My biggest beef against it is that it needs a USB port to power it. Newer/smart TVs likely have a USB port but those may not need a dongle as they have apps (Netflix, YouTube, CinemaNow) and should support DLNA. The OP mentioned he had a USB on his tv. Is it a smart tv with apps? When you press the Input Selector menu does "DLNA" or something like "Media Server" show up in the list?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-12-26, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

my tv is NOT a smart tv, it has a usb port to plug in a usb stick to watch media files, which i never do.

I said this before, and I'll say it again, I REFUSE REFUSE REFUSE to buy a device that can only work with "compatible" apps on goggle android. TMN GO and Crave tv have to be Compatible? wth kind of crap is that? there is no way they will make it compatible if not, it may take years, cant they make a device that plugs into my tv which is compatible with my WHOLE TABLET? why can only some apps on my tablet like net flicks or u tube have to be compatible with the Crome Cast? why cant the crome cast show EVERYTHING on my tablet onto my TV screen? what kind of world are we living in? this is not a step forward its a few steps backwards. untill thats the case i will keep arguing
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-12-26, 07:13 PM

The simplest solution is to buy a tablet with an HDMI port. There are several models out there. I use a Blackberry Playbook (with micro HDMI port) which works with Blackberry devices or their keyboard with navigation as remote control devices.

Otherwise, I too am disappointed that few flexible solutions exist to get video to a TV from a tablet or phone.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-12-27, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

yes i have a black berry vegetable cutting board, uhh i mean tablet, and yes i know it has the mini hdmi port, whcih i can prolly get a converter cable from the fli market for under $10 bucks, but they dont make apps like tmn go or crave tv or net flicks for the blackberry tablet either so i will be SOL. My samsung galaxy 10.1 is a very new tablet i got it 3 months ago, it cant be that obsoluete, and i know it has usb port, but i saw the adaptor that converts it from usb to hdmi but im thinking we live in a modern times now, with everything being wireless and all ,why cant i get a wireless solution? i mean i can really get the cable if i really really must, but if a wireless solution like crome cast or roku or all share cast, i might give it a try within the 30 day money back period
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-12-27, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
cant they make a device that plugs into my tv which is compatible with my WHOLE TABLET? why can only some apps on my tablet like net flicks or u tube have to be compatible with the Crome Cast? why cant the crome cast show EVERYTHING on my tablet onto my TV screen?
The simple answer is that your tablet is not capable of simultaneously processing the video stream and projecting it onto a separate display. This is what the MHTL cable attempts to do, but as Jase88 mentioned, the results are often less than ideal.

With chromecast enabled apps, like Netflix, your tablet simply tells the chromecast what you want to watch, and then it streams it directly from Netflix, rather than using your tablet as an intermediary processing device. It gives much better results and spares your tablet's battery. Google can't force that functionality into apps though, it needs to be coded in by the app developers. Chromecasts also do support screen mirroring from the tablet, but if you try and watch video that way you'll find it to be an ugly experience.

The most flexible, powerful solution to your problem is a computer or laptop connected to your TV, with some sort of remote control software on your tablet to control it.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-12-27, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

@TorontoColin, that so far is the BEST answer I've EVER heard, you are WAY more knowledgeable than Any sales rep at any store I've asked this question too. It kind of amazes me that now a days they only tell you what you want to hear to make a quick sales, not like in the old days they actually used to be knowledgeable in this area and were actually trained and refreshed every so often.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-12-27, 10:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
My biggest beef against it is that it needs a USB port to power it.
My Chromecast included a USB power adapter and cable but it can use any USB port for power. Is the USB adapter no longer included?

Quote:
TMN GO and Crave tv have to be Compatible? wth kind of crap is that? there is no way they will make it compatible if not, it may take years, cant they make a device that plugs into my tv which is compatible with my WHOLE TABLET?
Anything that will play in Chrome Browser, like TMN GO and CraveTV, will work with the Chromecast. There is also an app to cast the whole screen. My biggest beefs with the Chromecast are that it requires an Android 4.0+ or iOS device and its inability to work with a Harmony Remote. There are other devices that use similar casting technology so a Chromecast is not required, it's just one of the cheaper devices available.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2014-12-28, 01:56 PM
Veteran

No, the USB adapter is included (I have about a dozen in my house anyway as it is) but it's annoying to have to use another plug and have another wire. Since HDMI does not carry power the only other choice would have been a battery. I understand that, I just find it annoying (since it's otherwise such a small device).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in